Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! This is my first thread on this amazing forum. I'm sure this problem has been addressed a few times on here but I am having trouble finding any solutions. The problem is that the car takes a second or so to get going. I can get around it by stomping on the gas but I am hesitant to kick it too much. Only 400 miles on it. Will this get better as it is "broke in"? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
284 Posts
it's the 'break-in' period built into the engines' ECU

·
Registered
284 Posts
CONGRATS TOO! Great choice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha. How long should it take to break in? Also is there a certain way I should be breaking it in? I know the manual says stay under 4K for the first 800 mikes or so.

Thanks btw!

·
Registered
811 Posts
My break in was 1500 miles and then I changed the oil out as well. Each person is different.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had 7 miles on my VT when i got it, so i feel your pain LOL Once it reaches break-in, (mine was around 1,000miles) you're kinda like: "oh well there THAT IS" LOL (Wheel hop)

I did a full CERMA treatment on mine, and I highly recommend it to you. I run CERMA full synthetic. The VT comes from the factory with really crappy mixed blend.

·
Registered
284 Posts
also forgot, get the stainless steel fuel line kit ASAP. The factory one still sucks on 15's and 16's.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here is the first thing to do. Change the factory oil out by 600-750 miles (use Pennzoil Platinum (not Ultra Platinum) 5W-30 on 1st change with new OEM filter to get the majority of the break-in metal debris out.

Then decide if you are going to mod and risk voiding your warranty.
Ultra Platinum no longer on the good list? Or is this break-in related?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Congrats on the VT! If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have bought my VT. I test drove 2 cars and was dissapointed with the response. Did a little searching and saw what you are hearing now. Found one with 10 miles on it and broke it in per the recommendation here.

As for modding, do your home work to make sure ya get the right parts from the right places. Though I would recommend a good catch can to combat the oil buildup in the intake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips everyone! My dealership threw in 4 free oil changes. I think I'll be bringing them the oil though:wink:

·
Registered
945 Posts
my break in was taking to the 1/4 mile and flooring it. had less than 300 miles on it! lol oops....? still pulls like a champ though, 3 years and 27k miles later! congrats on your new car! these little cars are a lot of fun

·
Registered
9 Posts
it's the 'break-in' period built into the engines' ECU
Never noticed any reduction in performance during break in. I was mostly easy on it but definitely had some fun.

What definitely DOES make the car near undriveable at low to part throttle, in my honest and humble opinion, on an Auto, is having ECO mode on. The car will short shift, and throttle response is extremely nerf-ed, meaning that the ECU commands less actual throttle for the same amount of throttle pedal movement. I hate ECO mode.

Also, I almost exclusively take off from a stop in "S" mode. Don't know if it's leftover programming from driving a stick for 15 years, but whenever I come to a stop, I slap that lever over into sport mode. Even under mild acceleration the car responds and shifts better, holds the gears to where I think they should shift. Once up to speed I move back over to "D" so it will shift into 5th/6th/lockup at reasonable speeds.

Mine's a 2015 though, so if you have an auto it's the DCT 7-speed, not the 6 speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts