Veloster Turbo Forum banner

New 2017 VT owner

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Bland 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi.

New to the club and have been doing some research. Picked up my 2017 VT a couple days ago. I’m north of the border (Canada) so unfortunately no carplay.

Not new to turbo cars, or modifying them. Previous fun cars were:
Subaru Forester xt manual with almost a full STI setup.
Nissan pulsar GTIR imported from japan.
Chevrolet Cobalt SS turbo. Full bolt on and tune.

Plans for this car are simple bolt on’s with a tune for a fun reliable second car. I’ll add my tuning plans and questions in the next post.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
Searching to forums, I see there are 3 different thoughts on mods.

The early day 2013-2014
The time when the ecu was opening up for more options. 2016-2018
Now it’s modern mods. Shout out to Qwik Tyme

Here is my rough mod list.

• 3.5” intake ordered from 845 motorsport. (Only option I found with bpv recirc)
  • Turbo hot pipe from Qwik time.
  • Gut the second cat. Does the factory downpipe flow enough or is an aftermarket a must have? If I order one, it will be catted.
  • HKS M45xl sparkplugs. Would the 40’s be better since I’m not going to be pushing every last hp out of the car? I am in Canada but the car will be parked for winter.
  • Turboxs SML hybrid bov. Is a bov still a needed mod? I don’t see it mentioned much for tuning anymore.
  • I will VTA both valve cover breathers and block off the one on the intake runner. Hope this won’t cause a cell.

• Should I run a colder thermostat? (Stant 45356)
  • Is a larger throttle body a needed mod?
  • I will add some water wetter to the coolant, but being in Canada I don't want to run just that.

Plan is to get tuned by Qwik Tyme next summer. I want to purchase and keep flashing hardware. What is the best option? I see 845 motorsport has it for $400

Suspension and other mods.

• Solid shifter bushings
  • Lower motor mount bushing inserts
  • Uniq strut tower bar
  • Rigid subframe collars
  • Pierce motorsport rear torsion bar
  • Remove recirc valve screen

For maintenance car will be on full synthetic oil.
Coils should not be due since it only has 66k km. 41k miles
91 octane is all that is available in my area.

Tried to not make too much of a mess out of this list. Am I missing any other must have mods?

#3 ·
Welcome to the forums. 👍
If I had the time to answer all the questions on your last post I would but being a truck driver having to get back to driving and the fact trying to finish my weight training on the only time I get to do so, I can't. 😂🤷🏼‍♂️😉
But someone will chime in and give you all the info you request.
You're in the right track though and welcome again.🤙

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Your end goals and uses of the car will dictate the mods needed without wasting $ along the way. Share those and the mod list can be more clear.

Do you have a manual or DCT?
Daily driver?
Auto X?
Roadcourse?
Drag racing?
Roll racing?
Power goals?
ET or speed goals?
Many twisty roads?
Ambient temperature driven in?
More stop n go or highway?

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Manual.
Daily driver / second car.
No racing of any kind.
Just enjoy pulls when driving around. 1-2-3. Passing on the highway.
Not much stop and go driving.
Temperature here in summer is between 32 and 100. (It was a hot summer)

Don't have a specific power goal. Smooth out the power curve, turn it all up a bit, and keep it all safe for years to come.

I want to avoid water/meth injection.

#6 ·
Since you want to avoid water/meth injection and limited to 91 octane you will also be limited on power potential and mods needed to get there will cost less.

You would be limited to a stage 1 tune from me if I did it with 230-240 whp and a little more on wtq.

It can be taken higher than this safely without water/meth on 91 octane fuel but would require more mods that have a higher $/hp than others. So really depends on your budget and future goals and uses at that point if you do those mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.