1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting Wheel
Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design Hood Tread

So first off let me say, i'm not a slow driver and I use S/M a lot because of my exhaust but I also take care of my car when i'm speeding or picking up speed and I just cruise when I get to a "Oh shit there's a cop" braking point yk.

Anyways bought this car at 30k miles, kinda got scammed off carvana but has simple ass warranty and whatever and i'm trading it in before 70k miles hopefully. The first car they gave me had check engine light and transmission problems the first week and I returned it which took them 3-4 weeks to get my new car because the windshield broke otw to my house, so they tried charging me for 1400$ in 1400 miles that I put on the other car when my job and my girls job is cities away.

Now Ive had the orange one since 30k and i'm now at (36k) and so far i've added a few things but I need to do some maintenance now to last me at least 2 years.

Problems I Have:

1 • Lots of lynching, jerking and stuttering in 1-3 gear, sometimes 4th (heard every veloster has it but mine feels you can get use to it)

2 • Whole under car is surface rusted so my brakes are quite shit even with decent brake life I have left so I might be changing my rotors and pads at the same time next check if you guys suggest it.

3 • Transmission slipped like 3 times before from street lights 2-3 or stays in high rev around 3500-4500 when I upshift and then slowly declines but I don't mash the pedal and I know i'm heavy footed but I know throttle control better than most of my peers around me. So i'm confused on what causes that slip other than a cold start and me barely being on the gas? Friend told me I might need new trans fluid but some guy also told me it has a long life span!?

4 • Parking uphill driveways or hills feels like i'm breaking my transmission or turbo. It's never smooth unless I have it in Drive and go a somewhat unsafe speed up the driveway. Now I park everywhere with E-Brake cause I go about 2 feet forward without it or backwards. Upgrade better rotors or better pads? Keep mine? They are surface rusted but idk when rotors go bad.

5 • I lose against Si's, Some Infiniti G35s, Most Likely a GTI, I lost against two other Velosters but I think one time was because I don't hit rev limiter since this car can barely hit 135+ without catching up to traffic.
Do I really need a tune to keep up with 1.5l Turbo and anything with the same engine as us? Is the Veloster not meant for roll races or is it just a fun car until you tune it? If so, i'll just keep it stock and then add some wheels and tires for canyons.

6 • What can I do right now (36,000mi) to keep my car healthy, running fine and the up to date mileage maintenance because I feel like i'm losing power or something's not gonna be running good?

Brakes & Oil Change will be in 1-2 weeks or earlier.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,315 Posts
You have common issues of the DCT that the fixes for are hit n miss. Also you have a used car not knowing what mods may have been done before you bought it. Priority will be finding out the current mods then doing proper maintenance before mods and tune or trade for a low mileage for the model year (15-17)manual or (15)auto then do this.

Reactions: Angelika77

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,116 Posts
civic sport, civic si, s2000, most velosters are a breeze for my stock turbo manual. gti PP not so much. g35 depends on if its manual or paddle. paddles are faster.

that dct doesn't lend itself to a roll or a dig, its a pos, should have got a manual.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
civic sport, civic si, s2000, most velosters are a breeze for my stock turbo manual. gti PP not so much. g35 depends on if its manual or paddle. paddles are faster.

that dct doesn't lend itself to a roll or a dig, its a pos, should have got a manual.
parents or friends didn't teach me and ive never drove manual except video games. not buying a car that has transmission problems in a manual just for me to fuck a clutch up constantly beat on it lol.

thanks advice though, i'll look into cars with more modifications and easier gains.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have common issues of the DCT that the fixes for are hit n miss. Also you have a used car not knowing what mods may have been done before you bought it. Priority will be finding out the current mods then doing proper maintenance before mods and tune or trade for a low mileage for the model year (15-17)manual or (15)auto then do this.
thank you for the info. really appreciated and ive learned a lot ab the car looking at your replies on stuff ive searched. but Ive come to conclusion this car isn't my fit although it's fun and unique. Where can I make sure proper maintenance is done for a good price instead of going to shops or places that overcharge? Does a dealership overcharge on stuff like that too and can you get a estimate before they touch anything?

·
Registered
66 Posts
DCT takes some getting used to, for sure. It's all about smooth acceleration, especially from a standstill. And the car tries to "anticipate" the gear you'll need next, so slowing down and then accelerating tends to confuse it because it thinks you're going to continue slowing down and drop into a lower gear. Especially noticeable if you're just about to stop at a red light and it turns green. And in my experience, the paddles/sport mode are useless. I play with them every once in a while, but I find that the car can accelerate much more efficiently if I leave the shifting to the car. Maybe I'm missing something there.

As far as dealerships, check reviews for the dealers near you. They're only as good as the people working there. At the very least it wouldn't hurt to call, tell them you just bought the car and would like an inspection done. They should be able to give it a once over and a list of recommended services with prices, and then you can go from there.

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
manual in these cars is unreasonably easy to drive. the pedals are a little heavy, helps you with your overall finesse and the transmission shifts well.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,315 Posts
Search what I suggest for maintenance. If you can't diy then go to a trusted shop in your area but do see what a quote will be. You may have to get your own parts for it to be correct/good so price out the labor cost and the parts cost same as you would provide.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Search what I suggest for maintenance. If you can't diy then go to a trusted shop in your area but do see what a quote will be. You may have to get your own parts for it to be correct/good so price out the labor cost and the parts cost same as you would provide.
thank you, ive been doing that recently but some things i don't wanna do yet.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DCT takes some getting used to, for sure. It's all about smooth acceleration, especially from a standstill. And the car tries to "anticipate" the gear you'll need next, so slowing down and then accelerating tends to confuse it because it thinks you're going to continue slowing down and drop into a lower gear. Especially noticeable if you're just about to stop at a red light and it turns green. And in my experience, the paddles/sport mode are useless. I play with them every once in a while, but I find that the car can accelerate much more efficiently if I leave the shifting to the car. Maybe I'm missing something there.

As far as dealerships, check reviews for the dealers near you. They're only as good as the people working there. At the very least it wouldn't hurt to call, tell them you just bought the car and would like an inspection done. They should be able to give it a once over and a list of recommended services with prices, and then you can go from there.
thank you, i'll be doing the things you listed this week, very much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,116 Posts
that doesn't help since i'm getting a new vehicle judging by what ive heard about this one.
your car has low miles if its maintained properly from now on it should be just fine. it's a newer year with the best parts and tune. i just saw you were having an issue with the brakes. i would recommend bleeding them properly. when they wear down there are better pads out there.

most folks only join forums and facebook groups to complain, we are hundreds out of the tens of thousands of these cars sold each year.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
your car has low miles if its maintained properly from now on it should be just fine. it's a newer year with the best parts and tune. i just saw you were having an issue with the brakes. i would recommend bleeding them properly. when they wear down there are better pads out there.

most folks only join forums and facebook groups to complain, we are hundreds out of the tens of thousands of these cars sold each year.
yea this forum is very helpful but comes with a lot of information i don't need or don't have so i come and ask my own questions. it's sucks how limited this car is and how slow it still is even with a tune and i wish i researched more before i just bought something with a turbo.

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

i'll be going to a dealership next paycheck and seeing what all needs to be done or scheduled. thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 107216 View attachment 107217

So first off let me say, i'm not a slow driver and I use S/M a lot because of my exhaust but I also take care of my car when i'm speeding or picking up speed and I just cruise when I get to a "Oh shit there's a cop" braking point yk.

Anyways bought this car at 30k miles, kinda got scammed off carvana but has simple ass warranty and whatever and i'm trading it in before 70k miles hopefully. The first car they gave me had check engine light and transmission problems the first week and I returned it which took them 3-4 weeks to get my new car because the windshield broke otw to my house, so they tried charging me for 1400$ in 1400 miles that I put on the other car when my job and my girls job is cities away.

Now Ive had the orange one since 30k and i'm now at (36k) and so far i've added a few things but I need to do some maintenance now to last me at least 2 years.

Problems I Have:

1 • Lots of lynching, jerking and stuttering in 1-3 gear, sometimes 4th (heard every veloster has it but mine feels you can get use to it)

2 • Whole under car is surface rusted so my brakes are quite shit even with decent brake life I have left so I might be changing my rotors and pads at the same time next check if you guys suggest it.

3 • Transmission slipped like 3 times before from street lights 2-3 or stays in high rev around 3500-4500 when I upshift and then slowly declines but I don't mash the pedal and I know i'm heavy footed but I know throttle control better than most of my peers around me. So i'm confused on what causes that slip other than a cold start and me barely being on the gas? Friend told me I might need new trans fluid but some guy also told me it has a long life span!?

4 • Parking uphill driveways or hills feels like i'm breaking my transmission or turbo. It's never smooth unless I have it in Drive and go a somewhat unsafe speed up the driveway. Now I park everywhere with E-Brake cause I go about 2 feet forward without it or backwards. Upgrade better rotors or better pads? Keep mine? They are surface rusted but idk when rotors go bad.

5 • I lose against Si's, Some Infiniti G35s, Most Likely a GTI, I lost against two other Velosters but I think one time was because I don't hit rev limiter since this car can barely hit 135+ without catching up to traffic.
Do I really need a tune to keep up with 1.5l Turbo and anything with the same engine as us? Is the Veloster not meant for roll races or is it just a fun car until you tune it? If so, i'll just keep it stock and then add some wheels and tires for canyons.

6 • What can I do right now (36,000mi) to keep my car healthy, running fine and the up to date mileage maintenance because I feel like i'm losing power or something's not gonna be running good?

Brakes & Oil Change will be in 1-2 weeks or earlier.
I would suggest taking it to a reputable shop and let them check it out. Btw Whoever put that pipe on there shouldn't be allowed to work on vehicles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.