Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013 matte grey VT 6 speed manual
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Been looking at at the pag for a while now and a kdm owner for a few years. Traded in my 16 elantra gt for my matte grey 2013 VT a couple months ago. I've read lots about this being the worst year for them, but decided to take my chances with it only having 49k km on it. If and when it does decide to blow up, that just more fun to look forward to working on it!

List of things I've done include:
60mm throttle body
Turbosmart dual port kompact bov
Hps hot charge pipe
Catless downpipe
Mbrp 2.5" cat back
Aem cold air intake
Oil catch can
Hps blue vacuum line (mainly for appearance)
Replaced intercooler to throttle body tube for "hard" pipe and silicone couplers
Dual 12" mtx subs and amp
LED low and high beam bulbs
Functioning hood vents
Rear bumper reflectors swapped to mesh "grille" style

Also have a strut brace showing up in the next week and have some tail light tint to install! Will be ordering wheels and a grille in the spring as well.
Any suggestions on where to go from here are appreciated. Interested in getting it tuned, knowing the risk I'd be taking with that as well!

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,564 Posts
Welcome!

Mods will depend on the goals and use of the car. Good tuner list is short. But you need good maintenance and proper mods before tuning is considered.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

Mods will depend on the goals and use of the car. Good tuner list is short. But you need good maintenance and proper mods before tuning is considered.
I have all previous maintenance records before my purchase and I'm also a technician myself.
Oil changes every 6k km with 5w40 full synthetic. Also have access to put the car on a hoist whenever needed. Currently have a Bluetooth obd2 reader plugged in that will stay in the car to monitor all data. This car is my daily driver and would like to achieve somewhere in the ball park of 250whp.

·
Administrator
5,564 Posts
OCI needs to be 3k miles max and only use the oem filter. Oil weight is good just be sure use trusted oils for the car. I recommend oem coils be replaced every 50k miles with oem coils. Plugs will need to be upgraded to HKS M45XL with .024" gaps before you tune it. Need to run high octane pump gas. Also a good idea to put an aftermarket fuel line on the car. Once that's done you can have a good tuner tune it for 240-250 whp on an avg to below avg ambient conditions day. I recommend water/meth injection though and/or more mods than this to do it safely on the 13 VT any day of the year. You will be limited on tuners that will take the 13 VT to that level and do so safely and I can't stress enough that it be a good tuner regardless what tune you get and not based on a popularity vote or location.

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OCI needs to be 3k miles max and only use the oem filter. Oil weight is good just be sure use trusted oils for the car. I recommend oem coils be replaced every 50k miles with oem coils. Plugs will need to be upgraded to HKS M45XL with .024" gaps before you tune it. Need to run high octane pump gas. Also a good idea to put an aftermarket fuel line on the car. Once that's done you can have a good tuner tune it for 240-250 whp on an avg to below avg ambient conditions day. I recommend water/meth injection though and/or more mods than this to do it safely on the 13 VT any day of the year. You will be limited on tuners that will take the 13 VT to that level and do so safely and I can't stress enough that it be a good tuner regardless what tune you get and not based on a popularity vote or location.
That would be my mistake as I noticed I put 6k instead of 5k km, so it's roughly 200 km more than 3k miles. I run 91 octane as it's the highest in my area. I'm still a little ways off from reaching 50k miles(80k km). Besides the spark plugs/coils/ meth injection/fuel line, what are your recommendations as further mods to do this "safely"? As for tuners, I don't believe there's is anyone local to myself, so it will have to be sent off. Who would you recommend yourself to do this? Not overly worried about wait time as I have other vehicles I can use while the car is down. Thanks for the replies. From what I've read you have lots of knowledge of these cars.

·
Administrator
5,564 Posts
The better flow and cooling mods you have on the car the safer it will be on any given tune especiallyif 91 is the highest octane fuel and the goal is 250 whp. Having a good way to monitor and datalog the car via obd2 is also a plus. Do you operate the car in the freezing months? Tune wise will need to be a remote tune. No need to send the ecu off. Qwik Tyme Performance or possibly N75 motorsports although he has not tuned many gen 1 VT yet I have started helping him some on those.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The better flow and cooling mods you have on the car the safer it will be on any given tune especiallyif 91 is the highest octane fuel and the goal is 250 whp. Having a good way to monitor and datalog the car via obd2 is also a plus. Do you operate the car in the freezing months? Tune wise will need to be a remote tune. No need to send the ecu off. Qwik Tyme Performance or possibly N75 motorsports although he has not tuned many gen 1 VT yet I have started helping him some on those.
The plan currently is to drive it this winter unless I find something else, but probably won't be winter driven after this year. I have a Bluetooth obd2 reader in the car with the torque app on my phone, also have a couple obd2 readers at the dealership I work at. Other than going to a fmic, ill have to see what else is available for flow and cooling. Remote tune does sound better then sending it off, that's for sure.

·
Administrator
5,564 Posts
If you plan to drive it in freezing weather I'd suggest do away with any catch cans and go to a good VTA breather setup. More effective than a can anyway. Many cars with catch cans will have an obstruction at some point in the lines from the valve cover due to freezing conditions causing crankcase pressure spikes and rear main seal issues misfires knock excessive blowby etc.

Best reader is Obdlink LX used with torque pro app and an android device. You want a reader that can be used with that app and have the highest PID update rate possible. You can check the speed within the app.

I'm a wealth of knowledge on flow and cooling for these cars. Also on anything related to making them be quick, fast, and last.

Qwik Tyme Performance on FB
@qwiktymeperformance on IG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you plan to drive it in freezing weather I'd suggest do away with any catch cans and go to a good VTA breather setup. More effective than a can anyway. Many cars with catch cans will have an obstruction at some point in the lines from the valve cover due to freezing conditions causing crankcase pressure spikes and rear main seal issues misfires knock excessive blowby etc.

Best reader is Obdlink LX used with torque pro app and an android device. You want a reader that can be used with that app and have the highest PID update rate possible. You can check the speed within the app.

I'm a wealth of knowledge on flow and cooling for these cars. Also on anything related to making them be quick, fast, and last.

Qwik Tyme Performance on FB
@qwiktymeperformance on IG
Personally haven't heard of a vta breather, any recommendation for a specific one for our cars?
I haven't checked the PID rate with my scanner, will have to do that next time I'm in it.

·
Administrator
5,564 Posts
You can DIY the breathers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can DIY the breathers
I'm assuming you just mean a filter attached to the crankcase vent then? When I searched for vta breather I found ehat looked like a catch can with a small air filter on top

·
Administrator
5,564 Posts
No. A filter is just something that will cost $ replacing and cause a restriction and issues if not replaced which are reasons for just breather hoses VTA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No. A filter is just something that will cost $ replacing and cause a restriction and issues if not replaced which are reasons for just breather hoses VTA.
Sorry if I'm a bit confused, but do you mean vent to atmosphere by VTA?

·
Administrator
5,564 Posts
That is what VTA stands for yes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts