Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I recently acquired my first car today. It is a base model 2017 Veloster. It is standard factory dark blue and I was wondering if anyone had any good tips as to making it sound better or look cooler. As of currently the only thing I am worried about performance wise is how to get a little more torque with the least amount of worry of it breaking down the car. Some external modifications that I was looking into was a reversed scooped hood, led devil eyes, underglow, front end splitters and fins, maybe a spoiler and sequence tail lights!!! I heard installing a different exhaust or deleting the muffler would give it a better sound, I am wanting to make it sound cool but not too loud.

any personal tips, tricks and experiences are highly appreciated and encouraged, this is my first car and I would love to know what you wish you had done from the beginning to your own cars. excited to hear all of your replies.

Have a great day,
Matthew

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,247 Posts
Welcome.

Muffler delete and replace with piping will make most sound better. Things like intake or headers can help power some and so does tuning but there is no cheap way to add any significant power to the 1.6 naturally aspirated engine.

For aesthetics look in FB groups and search this forum and look on IG. Join local groups with the car if you can as well to get ideas.

·
Super Moderator
3,711 Posts
ah to be 20 again.

welcome to the club.

Reactions: MightyMatthew

·
Registered
2016 VT
31 Posts
Welcome to the club!

This is my personal opinion, but lowering it always helps the looks. A nice set of wheels and some coilovers or lowering springs goes a long way. I have coilovers and they also improve the ride quality and handling a good amount. It's a good mod that gives both performance and aesthetic improvements.

If you do go through with this, I would recommend doing a LOT of research about what fitment you want before buying anything. I bought wheels that stick out a bit too much for my liking and I'm gonna have to get new ones to fix it. Figuring this out for sure will save you a lot of time and money. Same goes for pretty much any mod. Figure out if it fits and if it's what you really want. Sit on it for a bit and then pull the trigger.

Also don't cheap out on parts! You get what you pay for obviously. These are basic tips but I don't want people to make the same mistakes I did :)

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
Just ask me and no mistakes will be made :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the club!

This is my personal opinion, but lowering it always helps the looks. A nice set of wheels and some coilovers or lowering springs goes a long way. I have coilovers and they also improve the ride quality and handling a good amount. It's a good mod that gives both performance and aesthetic improvements.

If you do go through with this, I would recommend doing a LOT of research about what fitment you want before buying anything. I bought wheels that stick out a bit too much for my liking and I'm gonna have to get new ones to fix it. Figuring this out for sure will save you a lot of time and money. Same goes for pretty much any mod. Figure out if it fits and if it's what you really want. Sit on it for a bit and then pull the trigger.

Also don't cheap out on parts! You get what you pay for obviously. These are basic tips but I don't want people to make the same mistakes I did :)
Thank you for your input! I too have thought about lowering but I am worried that if I lower it, would anything get messed up if I go over a bump too hard. or similar situations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ask me and no mistakes will be made :)
do you know anything about where I can get good sequence headlights and tail lights for the 2017 model? I have only found headlights but I don't know anywhere reliable to buy from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome.

Muffler delete and replace with piping will make most sound better. Things like intake or headers can help power some and so does tuning but there is no cheap way to add any significant power to the 1.6 naturally aspirated engine.

For aesthetics look in FB groups and search this forum and look on IG. Join local groups with the car if you can as well to get ideas.
is it illegal to tamper with the muffler? I thought about doing something around that area. I wouldn't want to get in trouble or mess with anything that I don't know enough about and I need it to still be quite enough to not disturb the neighbors

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also, does anyone know where to buy them and what color and style would look best on wheels for the 2017 blue Veloster? I'm thinking something all black

·
Registered
2016 VT
31 Posts
Thank you for your input! I too have thought about lowering but I am worried that if I lower it, would anything get messed up if I go over a bump too hard. or similar situations.
It really depends on how low you want to go/what sort of fitment you want. Aftermarket springs/coilovers have higher spring rates, so your suspension travel is a lot less, but the wider wheels/lower you are, the more likely you are to rub on things. Do you have any ideas in mind in terms of fitment you want?

In terms of big bumps, that depends on what shocks you have. Coilovers have stiffer/adjustable ones. I've hit some pretty big bumps on mine, but since I adjusted my shocks to be stiffer, they held up fine and I didn't damage anything. I don't know how well the stock ones would hold up with lowering springs though. Someone else might be able to tell you that.

In general, there's a lot that goes into lowering a car/preventing issues, so the more you know, the tighter fitment you can pull off. It all depends on how far you want to go.

·
Registered
2016 VT
31 Posts
also, does anyone know where to buy them and what color and style would look best on wheels for the 2017 blue Veloster? I'm thinking something all black
The style is really up to you, but a good place to start looking for wheels is Fitment Industries. They have a good search engine/selection of good quality wheels on there. In terms of buying, I've only bought through FI and the companies who make the wheels. I haven't had any experience with other 3rd party sellers yet. Just do some looking around and see what catches your eye!

·
Super Moderator
3,711 Posts
Tire rack will show the wheels on the car.

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
Lowering is no issues long as you do not go too low for the tire/wheel setup or roads you frequent.

The lights are hard to come by and generally sell out quickly. Not sure who the best source is currently other than direct source them.

Legality will depend on your area so I can't answer that accurately.

Color and style are all personal preferences. I like something that matches something oem on the car or otherwise matches another color scheme added to the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It really depends on how low you want to go/what sort of fitment you want. Aftermarket springs/coilovers have higher spring rates, so your suspension travel is a lot less, but the wider wheels/lower you are, the more likely you are to rub on things. Do you have any ideas in mind in terms of fitment you want?

In terms of big bumps, that depends on what shocks you have. Coilovers have stiffer/adjustable ones. I've hit some pretty big bumps on mine, but since I adjusted my shocks to be stiffer, they held up fine and I didn't damage anything. I don't know how well the stock ones would hold up with lowering springs though. Someone else might be able to tell you that.

In general, there's a lot that goes into lowering a car/preventing issues, so the more you know, the tighter fitment you can pull off. It all depends on how far you want to go.
okay cool! well I have not looked too much into lowering it but I think the main thing that im worried about are like speed bumps, especially the ones at Costco, those ones are freaking tall

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lowering is no issues long as you do not go too low for the tire/wheel setup or roads you frequent.

The lights are hard to come by and generally sell out quickly. Not sure who the best source is currently other than direct source them.

Legality will depend on your area so I can't answer that accurately.

Color and style are all personal preferences. I like something that matches something oem on the car or otherwise matches another color scheme added to the car.
ok so I am located in Texas if that helps. For underflow red blue and white are illegal so what color would be good for underglow to match blue? maybe possibly purple? but then I would have to make some other things purple as well. I have seen some aftermarket lights elsewhere I just do not know how reliable they would be

·
Super Moderator
5,247 Posts
Check the laws in the county you reside in that the car is registered in. Any inspection station can give you the rules and regs.

Do not worry about legal or illegal light color. Long as you do not run anything illegal while operating the car on a public road it's perfectly legal. Just get colors you like best. Many kits have adjustable colors and many options like color changes flashes etc.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Welcome, sorry for being late to the party. As for the things you want to do to your car most important is to figure out your budget. Also, if you are modding think of how long you want to keep the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think I would trust Welcome to SC Garage Works - SoCal Garage Works over "Duraflex" their fiberglass division it not as good as their "Carbon Creations" Carbon Fiber division. When I started to think about modding my car, I broke all the things I wanted to do into stages. The first stage was all the heavily recommended mods as well as suspension mods, the second stage was engine mods and so on. I really do plan on keeping my car for as long as possible. I already started putting money a side to get a new engine, and upgrades for my 6-spd transmission (limited slip diff) when it becomes needed. But all of this is my personal opinion so look around, and don't be shy to ask questions.

P.S. This is the spoiler I went with

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts