Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone! I just scooped up a 2016 Vitamin C vt with a 6-speed last week with only 8 miles on the odo. Love this car so much i've wanted one since 2012 when they first came out.

Now I want to be a really good owner to this thing so I need some help..

1.When should I do my first oil change? I have 450 miles on the car now and a full jug of full synthetic Mobil-1 5w30 just waiting for the day. Are there any additives in the oil that comes with the car that help break the engine in?

2. From 2-3k with moderate gas applied the acceleration is a bit rough

3. Any helpful mods?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Don't use Mobil 1, most guys use Penzoil, full synthetic, I like Eneos.

Change every 3k, religiously, use only full synthetic.

Here is a thread that might help with modifications.
http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5424

No idea what you're experiencing within that rpm range.

Data logging will help with understanding why your car is acting certain ways; get an obd2 reader for your phone. If you're on android get a Bluetooth one, iPhone a WiFi one. Download a good app like torque pro...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
change the oil now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The Complete Modifications List

Data logging will help with understanding why your car is acting certain ways; get an obd2 reader for your phone. If you're on android get a Bluetooth one, iPhone a WiFi one. Download a good app like torque pro...

Thank you so much for that I was trying to remember what those OBD2 tools were called.

Car limits power for 1000 miles so may be the turbo trying to spool but engine tuning holding things back until then.
I was suspecting this! It didn't mention anything about it in the owners manual however

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Also, as you'll soon figure out, this car protects itself when it's not fully warmed up. On your dash temp gauge it needs to be at least 1 tick below half way before the car will allow you to have full power. Try to push it before than and you'll think somethings wrong with the car.

Penzoil Ultra Platinum is the best oil that's relatively easy to find and afford. Most of us refer to it as PUP. You can order it in 5qt jugs from Amazon or Walmart for under $30 but you have to keep your eye on it because it will come on and off that price regularly. There are threads that discuss why it's better but basically it boils down to our cars being direct injection and how it prevents fouling and sludge. This oil was designed specifically for that problem.

Do your oil changes on the hard duty interval, 3750. To make it easy I just use 4k miles. If I was auto crossing this car I would do 3k.

Use premium gas. I know it costs more but the car will run better by design. The ECU senses the higher octane through the knock sensors and is able to advance timing, thus giving you more power and better performance. To take it one step further use a Top Tier gas so you get quality (consistent) detergents in the fuel that also help with the direct injection issues. If you don't you'll need to run a bottle of Techron through a full tank every oil change. Better to have it in the fuel all the time with Top Tier than it is to do it once an oil change.

Don't be alarmed by the herky jerky acceleration of this car, its just the way the factory tune is. Sometimes you'll hit it and she will take off. Other times you'll think you're dragging a boat anchor. The cure, getting a tune on a separate ECU, and since you have a stick you should be good. Those of us with DCT still have a few issues even after a tune.

One mod I really like was the rear sway bar (torsion bar). You'll notice that in turns the rear end gets squirrely when you hit bumps. The rear sway bar really helps flatten that out.

Reactions: Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
I have to say that 3K interval is key. Our egine breaks down the oil pretty bad and if you push to 4K your asking for trouble. One mod is a catch can at least one on the PCV side. Also PUP is one of the best oils for our car and like lee said is available locally.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I have to say that 3K interval is key. Our egine breaks down the oil pretty bad and if you push to 4K your asking for trouble. One mod is a catch can at least one on the PCV side. Also PUP is one of the best oils for our car and like lee said is available locally.
Ive got dual CC's so I go to 4k. My oil looks pretty good at 4k, no fuel mix that I can detect. Now what I get in my CC'S is another story.

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
I would bet if you sent that oil out for analysis it would show a pretty good dilution.

·
Registered
427 Posts
One helpful mod is the DIY short ram intake mod (~$30) and the BOV to BPV mod (~#5). They add tons of fun, characteristic turbo sounds without sinking hundreds of doll hairs into the car. Some say that the SRI mod makes the car too loud but you really should judge for yourself, just keep the receipt of everything if it turns out it is indeed too loud for you.

The best news is that you've already completed the best mod for the VT by buying an orange one. Congrats dude! Panties and/or boxer shorts will drop. ;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Getting an oil catch can should be the first thing you do. At least in the pcv side, the valve cover breather is optional as well. These engines create blow by like it's in style. If you get an intake and want power get a short ram intake 3.5 in.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

1. Change your oil to penzoil pure ultra platinum (pup) now and every 3k (ish) miles.
2. Get a catch can or 2.
3. Get a rear torsion bar
4. Replace the stock tires if ya didn't go with the upgraded summer ones or get another set of wheels and tires (almost anything is better than the stock tires).

The same as what the others have said but another vote to drive the point home.

·
Registered
36 Posts

http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5424

I have Torque Pro. Where do I find the logs?

Sent from my OnePlus3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Just an FYI if you want to leave it on the port it does click out of the fuse panel.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
What do ya mean?

Sweet thanks. Do you know of any OBDII devices that do not block the cover?

Sent from my OnePlus3 using Tapatalk
The only good ones (that I know of) will not allow you to use the cover. Besides, many have cool indicator lights that blink like a computer out of an old James. Ond film and light up the foot well.:wink:

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
i popped the plug out of the fusebox and stuff the reader in there, lets me put the cover back on.

Reactions: rspec2014
1 - 18 of 18 Posts