Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my first two weeks of ownership of an automatic VT have hit a snag. While driving on the highway for @ 1.5 hours the car was not able to accelerate if the throttle was pushed more than 1/8. Basically if you floor the car the tach pegs at 4800 rpm while going 60 mph and the car does not accelerate or accelerates maybe 1 mph every 10 seconds or so. Eco mode, normal mode, sports mode did not affect the lack of acceleration. Very little acceleration after leaving the highway on surface streets. Parking the car for 20 minutes reduced the problem to intermittent acceleration issues. I did video this for the service department for my Friday appointment, but on the phone they seemed pretty clueless.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what was the culprit? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
Well, my first two weeks of ownership of an automatic VT have hit a snag. While driving on the highway for @ 1.5 hours the car was not able to accelerate if the throttle was pushed more than 1/8. Basically if you floor the car the tach pegs at 4800 rpm while going 60 mph and the car does not accelerate or accelerates maybe 1 mph every 10 seconds or so. Eco mode, normal mode, sports mode did not affect the lack of acceleration. Very little acceleration after leaving the highway on surface streets. Parking the car for 20 minutes reduced the problem to intermittent acceleration issues. I did video this for the service department for my Friday appointment, but on the phone they seemed pretty clueless.

Has anyone experienced this and if so, what was the culprit? Thanks.
This is awful... you like need 2 gopros to prove this which is ridiculous too. One that aims at the pedals to show you are flooring it and the other to record the tach... I haven't heard of this issue tho.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds exactly like what happened to me twice in my previous Sonata. It is a function of the ECU that puts the engine on the Limp Home mode if it senses a problem that it thinks could potentially be catastrophic to the engine. You can go to most any auto parts store and have them run the diagnostic codes for free to verify. For me, both times it happened right after a fill-up. Once it was because of bad gas (water in the yank) and the second was because I didn't get the gas cap on tight and the fuel system depressurized. Neither turned out to be a big deal and were easily dealt with by doing an ECU reset by pulling the negative battery cable off for 60 seconds. Limp home mode only allows the engine to go up to a specified RPM range.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sounds exactly like what happened to me twice in my previous Sonata. It is a function of the ECU that puts the engine on the Limp Home mode if it senses a problem that it thinks could potentially be catastrophic to the engine. You can go to most any auto parts store and have them run the diagnostic codes for free to verify. For me, both times it happened right after a fill-up. Once it was because of bad gas (water in the yank) and the second was because I didn't get the gas cap on tight and the fuel system depressurized. Neither turned out to be a big deal and were easily dealt with by doing an ECU reset by pulling the negative battery cable off for 60 seconds. Limp home mode only allows the engine to go up to a specified RPM range.
Wow! Thanks for the heads up. Nothing like this has happened to mine, but it is good to know.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yeah, that is limp mode. My 96 Benz C280 was the car that I had that had limp mode. It would go in to limp mode if there was any pre-detonation. It happened for the first time out in the desert and it was scary. And to fix it was scary expensive.

However, you bought a new Hyundai with a 3 year 36,000 mile full warranty and a 5 year 50,000 mile concierge coverage.

Take it to the dealership and get an Elantra loaner and make them fix it. If the dealership does anything but apologize and give you a loaner you should hold up your smartphone and tell them you have Hyundai.com, Google reviews and your lawyer fired up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses, the limp home mode from the ECU does seem accurate from what I experienced. Today the car drove normally for my 20 minute commute into work at least. I look forward to my Friday dealer visit armed with some information and videos of the limping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quick update from the dealer, no codes stored in ECU, unable to replicate, inquiry opened with Hyundai. I have to bring it back if the issue appears again during a long trip or leave it with them and they will take it for a 2 hour drive sometime next week. The outcome is as I expected, but now I will drive with my OBDII reader in the car to see if I can get a code if the limp home returns. If any new developments occur, I will post again for record.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've been wondering about the break-in period and a few posts from people that said their VT got more power and better mileage after 1,200 miles.

Obviously Hyundai is measuring and controlling everything on this engine. Maybe the ECU is extra cautious during the break in period?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I just got an email about the Bluelink monitor status. Hyundai appears to be monitoring in some way through bluelink. Perhaps that system has information you can provide to the dealer rather than waiting for it to happen again. FWIW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts