Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So my check engine light is on and I plugged in the obd2 to check what the issue was and it shows "Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected"

I recently rerouted the occ hoses because what my mechanic did didnt seem correct from what I've found online. Shortly after the cel came on (1 or 2 days after).

Ive bought new hose clamps, took everything apart and reinstalled it but the problem still persists. The cel comes on and then stays for a few days disappears for a day and comes back on. Now I'm not sure if its because of the breather, and how my mechanic installed it before didnt trigger cel, however, he let my outlet hose just flowing downwards, connected to nothing.

Please check out my video and see if you know what's happening.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry i the site wont let me attach the video along with my thread saying something like it wont allow an extension.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
You most likely have it setup incorrectly and have a leak on the PCV side

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive uploaded a video onto media fire. Do you think the set up is wrong?

For the hose that used to go into the pcv valve im using a brass hose connector with hose clamps on each side to hook it up the occ's outlet. This could be an issue but ive tighten the crap out of it

You most likely have it setup incorrectly and have a leak on the PCV side

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ok, now that was a good video to explain the situation.

Your mech originally hooked up the can inlet hose to the breather fitting on the valve cover, while leaving the can outlet hose open to atmosphere, which was fine.

What you did was swap the can inlet hose to the PCV valve on the valve cover and connected the can outlet hose to the one leading into the intake manifold (IM). For a closed circuit can, this would also be fine.

The problem now is that since the can has an open breather element (filter), it obviously is not a closed circuit and thus is the source of your vacuum (and boost) leak.

Best option would be to remove the IM side hose and cap that hose off completely to fix the vacuum/boost leak, then leave the can outlet hose open as before. You should also put an open hose on the valve cover breather fitting and cap the intake tube again to keep oil from going into the turbo compressor and charge system. Run both open outlet hoses straight down somewhere under the car.

Hopefully this all makes sense.

Shame on you @trdtoy for not watching the video... ; )
#tooez

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I did not see the video posted when I scanned through the thread nor did I need to watch it apparently as the setup was indeed not implemented properly as stated. :cool:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
He re-routed it correctly, it’s just the wrong type of can for a closed circuit PCV side implementation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He re-routed it correctly, it’s just the wrong type of can for a closed circuit PCV side implementation.

Any advice or suggestions? Im thinking of investing in an occ without a breather, even though online sources says breathers are better for a gdi turbo

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Why not just go VTA for breather and PCV side? Will save a lot of time, hastle, and $.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think he’s set on using that can, but leaving the PCV can open and running an open tube from the breather is essentially the same thing. Probably won’t be able to convince him to ditch the can completely and I didn’t want to further confuse him with the skyventing thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i really wanted to use the occ instead of a breather and do vta cos many people suggested its good for gdi engines.

Right now im just wondering if the breather is the issue, as all the installation videos i found online, they all do not use an occ with a breather and they dont have any problems with it.

Ill start a thread new thread under "
Open breather can used for PCV side, causing vacuum/boost leak" for more advice/suggestions

Thanks boys

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahh true. Well, ive wrapped some electrical tape where my outlet hose connects to the pcv hose cos its hooked up with a brass hose connector.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
In your current configuration, after compressed air leaves the turbo and travels through the hot pipe, intercooler and throttle body, some of it is going out of the intake manifold up through the hose to the can and escaping through the can’s breather filter. Vacuum/boost leak.

If you want to continue using that can:

-Disconnect and remove the brass joiner fitting you just taped up
-Leave the can’s hose open
-Insert a plug into the lower hose that is connected to the intake manifold (this will stop your vacuum/boost leak)

As @trdtoy mentioned, it’s simpler to just remove the can and run an open hose from the PCV valve under the car (you would still need to cap off the intake manifold inlet hose).

However, I want you to actually understand and fix the problem first before moving on to a more optimal solution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. I think ill invest in a can without a breather. Im not gonna feel good about a set up thats not fully plugged together.

Yah, im still trying to get a hang of how things work with cars and just recently started doing maintenance myself.

Btw, is removing the breather and plugging it up an option? Wouldnt that mimic an regular occ?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Good luck removing the breather and sealing it off.

Now it’s time to educate yourself further:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts