Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My flex pipe and flex pipe > downpipe exhaust gasket looks to be about finished .

i am hoping to address this next week. i need to remove the flange i am sure, to replace the gasket. i was thinking of buying just a flex pipe and cleaning up the two existing flanges and welding it in.

i was also thinking of just buying a whole new mid pipe with flex section, or trying to find one used at a yard locally.

the bolts look really bad though, lol. i think i will have to cut them, then grind off or punch out the studs. i haven't yet looked at my spare downpipe.

i'll post photos...

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exhaust

Hood Automotive tire Line Vehicle door Thigh

White Light Automotive tire Food Gas

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Material property Bicycle part

• Wow
Reactions: Incognito

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a bit comical some of the threads on these bolts.... "you don't think i live in a cold climate" you may live in a cold climate but you don't salt the roads in winter like an italian family salts their pasta. 75% salt 25% water

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
228 Posts
Are you taking pictures of my car?Mine looks exactly the same. I had to abort a downpipe install because the nuts on the flange had crumbled away and the entire thing is rust welded together. I used a reciprocating saw to try and cut the gasket, but after breaking 2 blades I decided to just abandon the project until I figure something out

Reactions: RPW00Mirage

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If recip doesn’t work move to a hacksaw ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
That's a weird way to spell "cutoff wheel and angle grinder"

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my extra Downpipe has studs, can’t tell if they are welded or press fit like lug studs. Going to find out next weekend I guess.

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wasn't able to find out, lol

so to take a wild guess - i need a 2.5 gasket at the flange here, and a 2.5 flex pipe that is about 6 inches long? i am going to go ahead and order a flange too as a just incase. going to let someone else do this work while my knee heals up.

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ordered up all the parts.. now just to see if those studs can be hammered out or need to be drilled out.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,320 Posts
Cut, drill, replace with bolts, washers, nuts.

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gonna suck for whomever to drill those out while under the car. ;)

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,320 Posts
Yes, have a few carbide bits on hand lol!

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well bad news, the rest of the exhaust is marginally better. going to replace it..... can't get a good deal on OEM pipes and I need something quiet. best i can do is a borla........... going to order soon.

Reactions: L3g10n

·
Registered
2015 VT M/T Tech
151 Posts
well bad news, the rest of the exhaust is marginally better. going to replace it..... can't get a good deal on OEM pipes and I need something quiet. best i can do is a borla........... going to order soon.
That Borla will treat you well. I too had to use a Sawzall to cut through the flange there between the flex pipe and the cleanup cat, then drilled out the studs and replaced with bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers. Terrible PITA, but worth the effort!

·
Registered
228 Posts
That Borla will treat you well. I too had to use a Sawzall to cut through the flange there between the flex pipe and the cleanup cat, then drilled out the studs and replaced with bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers. Terrible PITA, but worth the effort!
I second this. Get a diablo carbide sawzall blade, it'll cut through the flange metal like a hot damn. I spent 30 minutes cutting a quarter inch with a regular bi-metal blade, and when I switched to the carbide blade the rest of the flange took 10 minutes. I think Milwaukee makes a carbide blade as well, but I can't vouch for it

Reactions: L3g10n

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its at the shop getting put on right now! I will have it back by end of week. only thing on the market with both a resonator and muffler. not going to waste my time trying to get this done under the car and potentially messing it up further . should be a much easier job for someone on a lift.

i sent back to amazon all the stuff i bought as a just incase with me doing it under the car. i did order a carbide sawzall blade i am keeping that.

i just did a LCA last week which went surprisingly well (considering i had just replaced it 1 year 5 months ago; ball joint was going out A1auto brand) and fixed up my alignment. the replacement LCA is from oreillys and the ball joint actually looks much better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
its at the shop getting put on right now! I will have it back by end of week. only thing on the market with both a resonator and muffler. not going to waste my time trying to get this done under the car and potentially messing it up further . should be a much easier job for someone on a lift.

i sent back to amazon all the stuff i bought as a just incase with me doing it under the car. i did order a carbide sawzall blade i am keeping that.

i just did a LCA last week which went surprisingly well (considering i had just replaced it 1 year 5 months ago; ball joint was going out A1auto brand) and fixed up my alignment. the replacement LCA is from oreillys and the ball joint actually looks much better.
The ball joints of the velosters seem to go out really quickly. Replaced mine last year and they're already weeping grease out of the boot

·
Super Moderator
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine wasn't weeping - it was already loose in the damn socket. if the boot was messed up i would have just changed that ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts