Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodbye Veloster
There isn’t very much demand for the second gen.. Personally I saw this coming the moment I saw the redesigned body style, I immediately thought that it looked like the product of Ford inbreeding lol. They are keeping the N but I feel like that’s gonna be next because, I’m sorry, but it’s pretty fugly IMO too. I know this has been posted before, but that was only speculation at that point, now it’s reality. Thoughts?

Reactions: waffle3113

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT Ultimate
308 Posts
I've seen alot about it. It's a niche car. And in today's market, if it doesn't move a ton of units then it doesn't make much sense to keep selling. Donut media kind of talked about this in their video about why there aren't cheap mid engine cars. The market for dedicated sports cars is small and doesn't get bigger until around 60k (because who can afford to have both a daily and a track toy but someone in that tax bracket lol). So for car manufactures, it just makes sense to make a hot version of a car you already sell millions of. Less cost in R&D, less cost in manufacturing, less losses. I like the Veloster but I like the I30 too. I'd be happy with either version here in the states. Just give me a 4cyl awd hybrid that can put down insane power :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not really a fan of the i30N either. Idk, it would have been nice if they worked off the original body style and made a Gen1 Veloster N. The VT had a unique look from the NA but still recognizable as a different version of the same car. Making another faster version with different front and back ends would’ve killed! If they had or still decided to, I think that would sell like crazy. The new Veloster was lazy, both versions look just about exactly alike with minor differences. And then the N, while being the “better looking” of them, still teetered on the same look…

·
Registered
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT Ultimate
308 Posts
I think there are angles I don't like on the Gen 2's but overall they are a nice looking modern car. And modern cars are tending to look very same-y anyway right now. But I really don't think there is a way to justify the veloster from a sales perspective. No matter how good it would've looked. Maybe it'd have a longer shelf life if it outperformed everything under sun below 35k and looked great doing it... But it sells 1-3k units per year in the US where the Elantra sell 100k+/yr. It's just waaaaaay cheaper to justify an Elantra N than try to support a niche platform.

But on their design language, I think the VT2 came in at a weird spot... because overall, the veloster, new elantra, new sonata and kona look very different from each other. They must have been going through designers like crazy because it doesn't really make sense at all.

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
The new sonata and Elantra look absolutely terrible.

and the price of the N has gone up a few K since inception with no addition besides the dual clutch.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Don't forget the Suspension if you can get one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like it. It was the best option for me in the price range. Ironically, I picked my '20 up at a Nissan dealership, and told them how Nissan used to have tons of small sporty car options. I used to have a Nissan 240sx, Datsun B210, Nissan 280Z. His reply was, "Yeah, we only have the Z now". If you think the lines on the VT are bad...the Z looks super flat, imho.

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
696 Posts
I like it. It was the best option for me in the price range. Ironically, I picked my '20 up at a Nissan dealership, and told them how Nissan used to have tons of small sporty car options. I used to have a Nissan 240sx, Datsun B210, Nissan 280Z. His reply was, "Yeah, we only have the Z now". If you think the lines on the VT are bad...the Z looks super flat, imho.
Personally I like the Veloster and especially the FairLady Z. 😍
Flat? 🤨🤔😳 No I wouldn't call it flat I'd call it iconic in the world of desirable cars. 🤷🏼‍♂️
It's the epitome of the classic sports car coupe with rear drive and more capability to be any car you desire to build.
The new 400 Z is also not flat. 🤨 It's the new benchmark for the family of Z's. 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts