Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a crappy chinese oil catch can between my PCV valve and intake manifold, which worked for awhile but eventually the bottom of the OCC blew off. I'm assuming this happened because I never put a check valve between the OCC and the manifold and the constant switching from boost to vacuum wore it out. So, I've been looking at different setups for boosted cars and I've seen cans with 2 exit ports, one for the intake manifold and one for the intake. This way there's always vacuum applied to the OCC, which got me wondering... why not block off the intake manifold altogether, tee the breather and pcv valve together, and use the intake for constant vacuum? This way there is always vacuum on the PCV valve and the breather will have the same vacuum it would have normally. Thoughts?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Valve cover can just have few inch hose and a breather. At times it pushes and at times it pulls. From what I've read, the PCV line is best routed, by itself, to a sealed can. Some prefer to then have a check valve between the can and intake. That prevents pressurizing the can and saves wear on the PCV valve.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I installed a crappy chinese oil catch can between my PCV valve and intake manifold, which worked for awhile but eventually the bottom of the OCC blew off. I'm assuming this happened because I never put a check valve between the OCC and the manifold and the constant switching from boost to vacuum wore it out. So, I've been looking at different setups for boosted cars and I've seen cans with 2 exit ports, one for the intake manifold and one for the intake. This way there's always vacuum applied to the OCC, which got me wondering... why not block off the intake manifold altogether, tee the breather and pcv valve together, and use the intake for constant vacuum? This way there is always vacuum on the PCV valve and the breather will have the same vacuum it would have normally. Thoughts?
As stated, you have two problems. You bought a crappy OCC off of ebay or wherever but most importantly, you're modifying a system while having no idea how it works or what it's for. Before you go any further I suggest doing a basic study on how PCV/breather systems work. There are 2 sides to the PCV system and they work together.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Can you recommend one?
There was some discussion on these awhile back. The general consensus was that the Hyundai valve is best, but IMO they are all hit/miss. Also, the dirtier/thicker your oil is, the more quickly the valve gums up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got a cheap ebay one, running fine...so far lol

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Have two PCV valves... blow it out with carb cleaner then swap every now and then.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Alright, so I've been researching this some more and I found a company that makes a catch can setup for the MS3 with the exact setup I was talking about: https://corksport.com/blog/the-inner-workings-of-the-corksport-oil-catch-can/
First off its a gimmick. The OCC is poorly designed because there is no separation of the ports. It simply goes in one port and out the other with no baffle to trap oil. Next, the whole removing the valve so vacuum and boost flow freely through the OCC is retarded, never mind that the OCC isn't catching anything significant. We also don't have a MAF system.

There's a reason the PCV system has a breather side and a PCV side, they work in tandem together like a push pull system with the valve preventing boost from escaping under pressure. This is why you need 2 quality OCC's. If you're going to only use one then put it on the PCV side and just vent to the breather side to open air.

There are others here that can explain it better than me but there are a ton of tutorials on the internet on how turbo PCV systems work. Maybe Mazdas work different but to go through all that explanation on his creation and then use a crappy OCC says it all to me, no need to look further.

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
Lol IMG_1612.JPG

Reactions: E9C900A

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea I noticed that diagram too, I assumed it was just a mistake and that the plate in the middle is actually between the two ports... if not, then it's completely retarded. Though I suppose even if it is in between, it's not baffled so it's a crappy can.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts