Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many speak of what is the best oil to use but do not consider what the best filter may be, which can be just as, if not more important than the oil used in some cases.

I've done research in the past on this but forgot to post it here. Most say how good hyundai filters are and use them exclusively. Myself, I started using hyundai filters and transitioned to others based on research I did on various ones out there.

I have not been able to find any official SAE test numbers on the hyundai filters. However I was able to find oil sample comparison between hyundai filter and mobil 1 filter. The particulate count differences were astonishing between the two. Lower numbers mean the filter does a better job. Check this out!

Screenshot_20171102-001247.png

Notice the mobil 1 does a lot better job filtering and should thus provide better engine protection than the Hyundai filter as well as allow longer oil change intervals. Also some research shows that purolator makes oil filters that may slightly outperform the mobil 1 based on SAE test results alone!

Screenshot_20171102-000516.png

Thus is just a hint of info out there an by no means am I saying these may be the best filters out there for the job.
Just putting this out there for those that may not have looked into this before or only consider what oil to use and nothing else.

Do some research on oil filtration and use a good filter for your car along with the proper oil. They go hand in hand.....

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will the slower flow affect anything? better filtration means slower flow right?
Filtration efficiency does not always mean there will be flow differentials when comparing filters. A lot more to it than that.....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
ufff, more research :D lol good catch

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd rather people do their own research in order to create better discussion on this vs taking my word for anything if I were to spoon feed everyone..... ;-)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can’t speak to Mobil 1 filter, but the Hyundai filter design and build is one of the best out there. Comparing the thickness and amount of filter media to the orange shitcan filter is night and day. Some guy compared ripping hyundai filters apart with a bunch of brands and only a couple of filters came close... this was 14 years ago but it’s pretty much still the same. It’s on the net somewhere, I remember reading it back in my elantraxd days.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can’t speak to Mobil 1 filter, but the Hyundai filter design and build is one of the best out there. Comparing the thickness and amount of filter media to the orange shitcan filter is night and day. Some guy compared ripping hyundai filters apart with a bunch of brands and only a couple of filters came close... this was 14 years ago but it’s pretty much still the same. It’s on the net somewhere, I remember reading it back in my elantraxd days.
Yes, many oem filters will outperform most of the aftermarket filters.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
What a timely post, I am changing my oil today! Thanks for all the great info people do on this site. I learn something everyday...and everyday, I go faster :wink:

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
There are plenty oil filters that are better than the Hyundai filter but a large part of the issue is the flow rate. This is why Hyundai put out that warning a while back Warning a while back.. If it was all about the highest filtration the choice would be easier. The Hyundai filter is not the best, it's the best for our cars according to Hyundai.
There are plenty of things we do to our cars that are questionable to the warranty but using an aftermarket filter is like handing Hyundai a silver bullet. They can justify just about anything having to do with the engine under oil flow.

·
Registered
242 Posts
That is interesting. What do they say about oil? If you use PUP or one of the others best for the VT, is that also a warranty issue? Using the Mobil 1 MM1-104 or the extended version, M1-104 A in my car now. If I have an issue I will spin on a Hyundai filter. Thanks, blessings, Whiz

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are plenty oil filters that are better than the Hyundai filter but a large part of the issue is the flow rate. This is why Hyundai put out that warning a while back Warning a while back.. If it was all about the highest filtration the choice would be easier. The Hyundai filter is not the best, it's the best for our cars according to Hyundai.
There are plenty of things we do to our cars that are questionable to the warranty but using an aftermarket filter is like handing Hyundai a silver bullet. They can justify just about anything having to do with the engine under oil flow.
Hyundai put something out due to people using filters without bypass valves in them becoming plugged and then causing flow/oiling issues and engine damage. Only a filter with a bypass valve should be used and will not have these issues.

If anyone does not know how oil filters work with or without bypass valve I suggest you research that. Also research filter holding capacity, how and when oil passes through filter media vs the bypass valve, how oil type and weight play a role, anti-drainback valves, micron filtration, etc.....

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is interesting. What do they say about oil? If you use PUP or one of the others best for the VT, is that also a warranty issue? Using the Mobil 1 MM1-104 or the extended version, M1-104 A in my car now. If I have an issue I will spin on a Hyundai filter. Thanks, blessings, Whiz
Oil could be an issue if oil is used that does not meet or exceed required specs.....

The M1-104A is just an updated version of M1-104, not an extended filter, however is a little larger than the oem filter.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Oil could be an issue if oil is used that does not meet or exceed required specs.....

The M1-104A is just an updated version of M1-104, not an extended filter, however is a little larger than the oem filter.....
That is what the guy at the auto said I got the regular one. Some brilliant VT mechanic told me about them! Blessings, Whiz

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
I run what we have on hand at work. A quick google and I’m satisfied with my service champ 4459.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
If people are running intervals long enough to actually utilize the bypass valve in any oil filter, they have no filtration at all.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If people are running intervals long enough to actually utilize the bypass valve in any oil filter, they have no filtration at all.
Most, if not all oil filters made to fit the VT will utilize the bypass at some point, even when new. Colder oil, heavier weight oils, high oil flow, and plugged filter media will all cause oil to bypass the filter media.

Keep in mind when the bypass is not being utilized that a mid to upper 90's % filtration is happening in the 15-25 micron area and higher. During times the bypass has to be utilized some of that oil is still going through the media being filtered and some is not being filtered at all. The amount being forced through the filter media at any given time is determined by the bypass delta pressure of the filter. During bypass the actual filtering efficiencies are much lower due to some not being filtered at all lowering the total efficiency.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts