Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok i have seen a few posts about this leak but nothing other than bring it to dealer/ warranty stuff..

i have 46k miles ( not under warranty sadly) just noticed oil leaking at the housing where trans and engine are joined. also oil over my engine mount.
pics are of other cars with roughly same problem.

i have looked all around the area but done seem to be coming from anything external from what i can see. also popped the window off the side but the fly wheel was clean. so not sure what is leaking or how to determine where its coming from myself.

just trying to see how to go about fixing/ finding what leaking without going broke since everything for me will be out of pocket.

2013 veloster turbo 6 speed manual

any and all help is much appreciated.....
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,784 Posts
From there is most likely the RMS. Usually high crankcase pressure causes this to occur. Many things can cause this. The fix is not easy or cheap but preventing it from happening is.

·
Registered
2013 VT
109 Posts
did you go out of pocket or warranty? If you paid what was the cost of replacing the seal?
I had an extended warranty from carmax that came through because Hyundai denied it. I had catch cans venting to atmosphere and they blamed that, even though this leak occured around 25k, before I had them on. Crankcase pressure was too high. Total was $1900, parts and labor, but my deductible was only 100$ so that's all I paid

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea im goin to have to bite the bullet. just hoping i can get a good price on it since ill be out of pocket not sure if i want go Hyundai or another shop to save some $ .Sucks im not even sure what had caused it or just happened by itself or was a issue when i bought it. ( no oil down there when i went over it when i bought it but you can clean that stuff) I also have a catch can added but its not a vented one but used all the correct lines ect..also replaced the pcv it connected to since i it was at 38k and people say to replace after like 30k.

·
Registered
2013 VT
109 Posts
yea im goin to have to bite the bullet. just hoping i can get a good price on it since ill be out of pocket not sure if i want go Hyundai or another shop to save some $ .Sucks im not even sure what had caused it or just happened by itself or was a issue when i bought it. ( no oil down there when i went over it when i bought it but you can clean that stuff) I also have a catch can added but its not a vented one but used all the correct lines ect..also replaced the pcv it connected to since i it was at 38k and people say to replace after like 30k.
Yeah, like trdtoy said, there's a few things that can cause it/crankcase pressure. I replace my PCV valve every 10k, clean my cans/change my oil religiously but stuff still happens. I can do a thing or two with some tools, but changing the rear main was above my head, and I prefer to use Hyundai's techs (I actually have a good dealer where I'm at, crazy I know :p). The labor itself was 95% of the bill lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
idk about my Hyundai shop since they didn't even want to check my trans fluid without me paying a diagnostic fee of like $180 and already had issues with them when i had a na veloster wanting like $5k for a clutch job(paid 3k for the car got 30k miles traded for 2.5k downpayment on the turbo)I i have a full tool set , impacts ect.. and usually do everything myself as well but i dont have a hoist if engine needs pulled or a lift if trans needs dropped let alone im sure my neighbor/ landlord wouldn't be happy with a car sitting in pieces for a few days like that let alone dont want attempt that in my drive way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had another shop take a peak and used a scope still cant tell what side its coming from. so just going to expect to replace both while they are in there just to be safe (since it really shouldnt be much more to do so) not just need to find a shop that can do it without way over charging for the job.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I feel like I had read that with high crankcase pressure there was a way for oil to present itself in this location without necessarily having a leaking rear main seal. I had assumed that would mean that alleviating/preventing this pressure would decrease events of oil leaking in this location.

I'm sure someone can tell me where I am wrong. lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts