Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, just had a question. i bought a spctre filter at autozone for that air sucking sound. many have done this and i don't think we are all new with the idea. my question: i took off the stock airbox, and replaced it with the filter (just the filter...i left the stock intake piping on). i know that some feel the need to have a pvc pipe where it joins, but do i HAVE to have one? i installed without it already, and it seems to have a good contact. one thing i am worried about is tho, there is a TINY TINY TINY gap because of the little rubber tabs at the mouth of the stock intake pipe. is it gonna affect me in the long run? if it will, i will run to home depot and get it done. let me know of your opinions of this. thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
If I read this right. Then you've got a cone air filter (which has a rubber flange) directly attached to the rubber intake hose and you have an air gap between the hose and the filter. If this is correct, then you need to put the stock airbox back on until you get a section of hard piping to put between your hose and filter. With an air gap your turbocharger is ingesting unfiltered air, which is much bad. You want it to look something like the setup in this post.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the info! guess i should have searched a little bit more. so here is what i was able to accomplish...

okay, so i got it done this morning and took pictures of it. i had a really hard time trying to get that intake pipe into the stock piping, and i couldnt even get the original clamp (or whatever you call it) on there, will i be okay? its secured on there very very tight, i don't think any air would get in.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it said 3 inches...lol i tried to put in both ends. same story...is that excessive stretch of the stock intake pipe going to affect me in the long run?

·
Vendor
3,542 Posts
it could end up splitting it in the long run and i would ALWAYS have some type of clamp holding the intake pipe or hose to the new piping. Never run anything on an intake or charge pipe without a clamp.. If it falls off while you are on the highway and you don't notice it, you could suck in all kinds of little crap. Tiny stuff in an NA car isn't a MASSIVE issue but in a turbo car it can make a BOOM! by destroying your turbo and Intercooler, if not more.

One little pebble or something slightly significant could nail your impeller at 100k rpm, wreck the turbo, shatter the impeller, shoot pieces of the impeller through the charge system and ruin your intercooler..

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i see, thank you for the infor.
i guess i have to do something soon. also, the pipe i used is a spctre 3inch! now im kinda scared that i warped the stock intake tubing...:crying:

·
Vendor
3,542 Posts
don't worry about the stock intake tubing, it will be fine!

I hate spectre products.... If I didn't need a coupler last minute, I would never have any of their crap on my car..

could just buy the piping and couplers for the Turbosocks SRI and then no worries about the stock pipe :D

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this scares the hell out of me...now im paranoid...FOREVER...lol i'll be waiting for the part number UHF3! thank you so much!
it could end up splitting it in the long run and i would ALWAYS have some type of clamp holding the intake pipe or hose to the new piping. Never run anything on an intake or charge pipe without a clamp.. If it falls off while you are on the highway and you don't notice it, you could suck in all kinds of little crap. Tiny stuff in an NA car isn't a MASSIVE issue but in a turbo car it can make a BOOM! by destroying your turbo and Intercooler, if not more.

One little pebble or something slightly significant could nail your impeller at 100k rpm, wreck the turbo, shatter the impeller, shoot pieces of the impeller through the charge system and ruin your intercooler..

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm using Spectre PN 9429 - Aluminum Tube 3" O.D. 22° Elbow Polished

I've got $20 that says you got Spectre PN 8728 - Intake Tube 3" Chrome ABS 22° Elbow w/ Collar

·
Registered
448 Posts
PS If you were curious I'm using an AEM Dryflow Air Filter - 3" Inlet x 5" (PN 21-203DK). No more oiling air filters. :big smile:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Didn't bother removing lower half of the factory airbox or the resonator. Had the car on a lift last week, looks like it would come out quite easily though. It is a noisy devil, part throttle under load is the loudest. Climbing a steep hill at 25-30mph in 2nd gear it's loud enough the scare small children and nuns. It's funny I used to see deer all the time where I live. Not one since installing the intake. They probably think it's a giant snake hissing at them and run off. At WOT in high rpm it goes nearly silent, a kind of evil silence, it's flowing a ton of air though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OMG YES i do have the second one...damn it lol i'll see if i can get the first one. i hope the stock piping didnt expand permanently...
Didn't bother removing lower half of the factory airbox or the resonator. Had the car on a lift last week, looks like it would come out quite easily though. It is a noisy devil, part throttle under load is the loudest. Climbing a steep hill at 25-30mph in 2nd gear it's loud enough the scare small children and nuns. It's funny I used to see deer all the time where I live. Not one since installing the intake. They probably think it's a giant snake hissing at them and run off. At WOT in high rpm it goes nearly silent, a kind of evil silence, it's flowing a ton of air though.
I'm using Spectre PN 9429 - Aluminum Tube 3" O.D. 22° Elbow Polished

I've got $20 that says you got Spectre PN 8728 - Intake Tube 3" Chrome ABS 22° Elbow w/ Collar

·
Registered
448 Posts
OMG YES i do have the second one...damn it lol i'll see if i can get the first one. i hope the stock piping didnt expand permanently...

You should be fine, it's rubber as long as hasn't torn it should spring back. If you're local place doesn't have one you can order it online at Jeg's, Summit Racing or even Amazon. Just search for the part number. Might want to get some filter cleaner and oil (if needed). Not that you'll have to clean the filter for a year or two. Just get what ever the filter manufacturer recommends or let us know who makes it (looks like a Spectre to me) and model filter it is and we'll steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you so much, i appreciate all the help im getting from you! i will do this asap because i don't want anything bad to happen to my precious VT haha. again, THANK YOU SO MUCH 감사합니다! <<< thank you in Korean

·
Registered
52 Posts
Would this void the warranty as much as say an Injen intake? It's part of the reason I haven't bought an intake yet, I'm afraid i'll get burned if I get any problems and need the warranty. I reaaaally want to mod the car somehow, but I don't want to put myself into a precarious position.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Would this void the warranty as much as say an Injen intake? It's part of the reason I haven't bought an intake yet, I'm afraid i'll get burned if I get any problems and need the warranty. I reaaaally want to mod the car somehow, but I don't want to put myself into a precarious position.
Unless THAT part is the reason your car messes up, youre fine. If you navigation goes out and you have an intake, they wont void it. However im sure if you had a knocking engine, if they saw an intake, youre most likely screwed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts