Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys but I didn't have time to search for the answer. They overfilled my oil by putting the whole 5-quart jug of pup into my car. What are the dangers of running with an extra quart?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who is "they?" Tell them to immediately drain the extra into the container and save it for later.
The dealership does my oil changes because I get free changes for 3 years but I use my oil. They usually leave a quart in The Jug for me every time but this time the guy that did it just dumped the whole 5 quarts in. I had them remove the quart.

This is why I always check my oil after every oil change. What problems would it have caused if I left a whole 5 in there?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Significant overfilling may lead to cavitation, overpressure, extra blow-by. Even potential damage.

In one of my not-so-wise moments, I added a quart of Lucas Oil stabilizer to my previous car (2007 Accent) on top of a regular oil fill. Everything seemed fine until I floored it pulling out on the highway and noticed I was dropping a huge smoke-screen at the top of each gear. Blow-by city. Luckily no obvious damage. Probably fouled up some sensors and the cat pretty good.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder which was overfilled by 1 quart. It blew out the rear main seal and leaked a lot of oil.

Replacement Seal = $18
Labor = $400

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
and now you know why the oil changes are free

Reactions: Bigbird

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you need 4 and you give them 5, at some point someone's gonna suffer a momentary lapse of consciousness and you'll get the whole jug. Always 4 quarts, add the rest yourself. Lucky you caught it.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you need 4 and you give them 5, at some point someone's gonna suffer a momentary lapse of consciousness and you'll get the whole jug. Always 4 quarts, add the rest yourself. Lucky you caught it.
I let them do it because it's a lot easier for me and they've always been good. Some new guy did my car this time, which won't happen again. I always check my car when I leave any kind of service from anywhere. They've been real good in the past and always gave me back the jug with 1 qt in it.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
If you fill it up enough it breaks stuff. I saw where someone filled an engine with oil like completely to the top of the dipstick tube. Basically hydrolock but oil lol.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
If you fill it up enough it breaks stuff. I saw where someone filled an engine with oil like completely to the top of the dipstick tube. Basically hydrolock but oil lol.
My brother drained his tranny on his Xterra then proceeded to replace the fluid into his engine oil port. Called me complaing that his tranny wouldn't shift out of first gear... guess what happened to that car?

·
Registered
235 Posts
The dealership does my oil changes because I get free changes for 3 years but I use my oil. They usually leave a quart in The Jug for me every time but this time the guy that did it just dumped the whole 5 quarts in. I had them remove the quart.

This is why I always check my oil after every oil change. What problems would it have caused if I left a whole 5 in there?
The manual calls for 4.8 quarts and that puts it over the full mark on the dipstick. I use 4 1/2 quarts.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The manual calls for 4.8 quarts and that puts it over the full mark on the dipstick. I use 4 1/2 quarts.
If you change the filter, 4 qts will land you right on the F level on the dipstick, every time.

Reactions: Bigbird

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think you need to check if the oil is over the two dots in the dip stick.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just lost my Celistar to an overfill error at my local garage. Completely seized my engine. 2013 Turbo 😭😭😭
The dipstick was a good inch over max 🤬

1 - 20 of 23 Posts