Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everybody new member from texas here was hoping I could get some advice on some of the issues I've been having. a couple of weeks ago I was gassing my car hard when all of a sudden I started to feel the engine sputter so I pulled over then and immediately felt a hard idle was able to go back home about 10 miles. I've since replaced injectors, spark plugs (which are correctly gapped to 0.028), and got coils on the way even though I've tested them, and they all seem fine. According to the torque app, I have the following codes P0089, P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304. I've looked on the forums and was not able to find a thread on P0089 so I made this post. I have no idea what could be wrong with the car hopefully I can get a new perspective from all of you who have more experience than me. I've read about faulty fuel lines but I am not sure how to correctly diagnose the car.
thank you, guys!

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,086 Posts
You may have multiple issues for sure. Proper oem coils, oem plugs from a 16+ VT with .028" gap if on the oem tune, and run 91+ fuel. At that point clear codes and see if the car still has the issue on throttle. If so then you most likely have the oem fuel line kink.

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
86 Posts
Check your MAP and TMAP harness connections specifically, but it would be a good idea to look around at all harnesses and vacuum lines if it currently isn’t running right.
I second the suggestion to clear codes and see what comes back. Keep in mind that a misfire detection is basically an educated guess. The ECU uses data from multiple sensors to make the assumption that a cylinder misfired, so, like @trdtoy said, it can be fuel too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the reply I know there is a misfire for sure because after I changed the spark plugs I ran the car to see if the issue was resolved. When I saw it didn't work I pulled the plugs to make sure the gap was correct and found one of them was looking brand new. After this, I changed the injectors to new ones. I have also checked all vacuum lines and cleaned the MAP with MAF cleaner. I have cleared the codes multiple times and receive the same P0089, P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304 codes. would the next logical move be to replace the fuel line or HPFP? Or is there something else I am missing? also, could it be possible that the timing chain somehow got messed up?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like trdtoy said, the LIKELY issue here is a kink in the OEM fuel line. It's very common on our vehicles. If you have an OBD2 data logger or can view live data, you can monitor fuel rail pressure to help determine this for sure.

Pressure should be:
~50psi at car On, engine off
~550psi idle
~2500 WOT

If you aren't getting these readings, the first thing I would do is pull your in tank fuel pump to check it for debris. There's an excellent thread on this elsewhere on this forum, search for "fuel pump cleaning". If that doesn't work, then I'd look at getting a new fuel line.

When you replaced injectors, did you do it or did a shop? Direct injection fuel injectors are a complicated replacement, and if it wasn't done correctly, that could be contributing as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed the injectors myself I don't believe anything went wrong as the car was acting just as it was before I changed them and also got the same codes. I will definitely check the fuel pressure and work my way up to the fuel line if necessary updates coming soon thank you everyone!

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
86 Posts
Timing chain is probably very unlikely. If your timing chain somehow skipped a cog you might end up with valve collisions. I just looked up P0089 and that points to a possible fuel regulator problem. If I remember right, I had some trouble with this code a couple times and it resulted in the car disabling the high pressure fuel pump until I would disconnect the battery. I might be misremembering my code though. Mine was just a bad reading and nothing was actually defective. I am assuming with all of that work you have done the battery has been disconnected for a while at least a couple times.
Let’s get some basics..
Did you check fuses?
Does the car start?
Does the car idle?
Is it getting fuel?
Are you familiar with observing spark plugs outside of the engine?
As far as verifying proper gap, even if the gap is off by quite a bit it will still function fairly well.
Have you done any assessment of compression? Even just basic pulling the plugs and cranking the engine and feeling for puffs?
Was the fuel line pressurized when you changed the injectors? I am not too familiar with the fuel line setup for GDI but I am pretty sure the fuel line would have pressure in it that you need to relieve before swapping injectors.

I would personally stop throwing replacement parts at it. That can get expensive really quick and you may have a very minor issue. If you end up getting a defective new part or forgetting to reconnect something when installing something else you could greatly complicate your troubleshooting.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,086 Posts
Very good point not throwing parts at it and diagnose things properly before spending more $ than needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just curious did you check your coil packs? Just because its not misfiring at idle does not mean a pack is not going bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts