Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally put a spacer on the rear (and only the rear) o2 sensor. The P0420 code went away but now I've got a P0136 showing pending.

Is there any definitive fix to these engine codes besides the obvious (catted dp)? I'm going to be getting a tune pretty soon so it's not THAT big of a deal but still... any ideas?

·
Registered
276 Posts
run no spacer live with p0420 p0136 will cause misfires theirs plenty of info on here about this but i keep my obdll reader in car once and a while p0420 comes on i clear and keep rolling people have been successful with spacers but for how long is the question i tried 90 degree elbow one straight and stacked straight non worked for me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
By the way obdll reader is $39.99 at advance autoparts thats what i paid for mine its palm size

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I retightened my spacer/O2 and so far...seems to have taken care of both codes I was getting p0420 and p0136...was getting 420 then added spacer and getting 136. So far so good..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CEL hasn't come on yet and it's been about a week since I installed the spacer. It must be clearing while driving, but the codes pop when sitting idle for the first few minutes. I also have the torque app on a phone dedicated to just doing that in my car, so I can monitor everything.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Which spacer? I ordered a Vibrant 11619, the j-style with different "jets". I have a the Pierce catted downpipe. I figure since it flows so well, I'll be safe and install the spacer with the largest jet (smallest jet plus the HFC would be little to no air hitting the sensor and throw a code). My install is Saturday so I'll let you know if I pop any codes.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
i have a 90 elbow with another spacer one it and no work =/

gonna remove on spacer after the elbow if i ever get time to try again :]

·
Registered
330 Posts
Here's my update. Just had my Pierce Highflow Catted downpipe installed with the above spacer (Vibrant 11619) using the largest jet, and no check engine lights. I even did a 2nd and 3rd gear WOT run merging onto the highway (shifting early to not speed!), and no CEL.

Pipe was installed for $53 at a local muffler shop. It's mated up with my Magnaflow exhaust and its pretty damn loud. Almost too loud for my tastes. I only imagine catless pipes would be insanely loud. Butt dyno says it's the best mod I installed yet, you can actually feel the difference when going WOT.

Awesome pipe, Mr Pierce.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I jinxed it. About 150 miles later, I got a CEL. P0139, sensor too slow to respond. So either I need to use no insert, or just remove the spacer compltely. I'll do some testing tomorrow and see what I find out.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I jinxed it. About 150 miles later, I got a CEL. P0139, sensor too slow to respond. So either I need to use no insert, or just remove the spacer compltely. I'll do some testing tomorrow and see what I find out.
Do you have the ability to log the 02 sensor?
This is a lamda style sensor so it will be a little different than the conventional ones you are used to
I am not sure the threshold for each given code, but I can easily look them up and post for your needs
I can tell you that perfect lamda is 1.0
Buy doing this you can get in between both reading protocols and you won't be throwing any codes

As of now you have a slow activity code. This would mean you aren't getting enough exhaust flow to the sensor
Therefor you need a bigger jet or not jet at all

Let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If you remove the spacer you're get the p0420 code. I'm wondering with the p0139 and us not having a flanged aftermarket exhaust that there's a leak somewhere (apparently that can cause p0139 as well). I'm going over mine with a fine toothed comb next weekend and see what I can come up with. I may go so far as to wrap each joint in the exhaust.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you remove the spacer you're get the p0420 code. I'm wondering with the p0139 and us not having a flanged aftermarket exhaust that there's a leak somewhere (apparently that can cause p0139 as well). I'm going over mine with a fine toothed comb next weekend and see what I can come up with. I may go so far as to wrap each joint in the exhaust.
This was very common with the Kia spectra
If there was a leak pre sensor it would throw this code
From my years of experience with this even some of the vehicles that would come in with this code and a audible leak wasn't apparent. 50% of the time there was still a leak but it was very minuscule. It honestly all depends on the ECu strategy for the code setting parameters. Some vehicles are more touchy than others

The other huge difference in his case is the ability to turn off the 02 sensor. This can make life so much easier. It is very close to being a tunable option to my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
This was very common with the Kia spectra
If there was a leak pre sensor it would throw this code
From my years of experience with this even some of the vehicles that would come in with this code and a audible leak wasn't apparent. 50% of the time there was still a leak but it was very minuscule. It honestly all depends on the ECu strategy for the code setting parameters. Some vehicles are more touchy than others

The other huge difference in his case is the ability to turn off the 02 sensor. This can make life so much easier. It is very close to being a tunable option to my knowledge.

Where are the places you would typically look for a leak? My downpipe is tightened as far as it'll go. Both O2 sensors are as tight as they'll go. I don't hear a leak anywhere...

Just looking for some direction is all. I keep thinking it may be a leak but I'll be damned if I can find one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I tried the spacer today without any jet insert and so far, so good. Last time, it took about 100 miles to throw the light so we will see.
I wonder if removing the nut on the spacer would make a difference? If the sensor was a little closer to the exhaust stream, that's what I need. So if I throw the code again,I'll pull the nut off and try that.

Thanks for all the help. I have the Torque app for logging, so I may try that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
CEL without any insert on the spacer, took 16 miles. p0139. I may pull the spacer off and try it again. Any tips on pulling the downstream sensor off with the subframe on? It was a pain to do last time.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Where are the places you would typically look for a leak? My downpipe is tightened as far as it'll go. Both O2 sensors are as tight as they'll go. I don't hear a leak anywhere...

Just looking for some direction is all. I keep thinking it may be a leak but I'll be damned if I can find one.
Can't really say. It's still possible even thought you can't hear it
But most likely not there at all given the info you have given
If you have someone hold a rag over the muffler while you listen for a leak it's a good way to find one

Just a word of advice do it when cold because it's hard as fack to hold it with a warmed up car and hot exhaust

1 - 20 of 49 Posts