Veloster Turbo Forum banner

P0299 cel

17K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  midwestveloster816 
#1 ·
Coming home this afternoon I lost boost. Made it home ok but the boost never came back. Code reader shows the P0299 code (Turbocharger not providing a normal amount of boost) I opened the hood, checked all the intake piping and couldn't see anything off. The car sat for 30 mins and I drove again. Everything worked good for about 7 minutes and then lost the boost again. Called the dealer and will drop it off in the morning.

I will keep y'all posted as to what they find.

#5 ·
I had the same thought

#4 ·
You have any mods done?

#18 ·
When Holger didn't tighten one of the clamps on his FMIC kit, it popped off and that was NO boost.. Felt like the car was a snail. haha
Yes it was bad, I thought if this is what the NAV is like, I feel for those guys. I think an oil smoking, no no you go first at the stop sign, '91 Dodge Caravan would have owned me yesterday lol.

#23 ·
Ok first off, I have the best and coolest Service Department in North America. I went and picked up the VT this afternoon. As soon as I walk in, the Service Manager greets me and tells me it is ready. The first thing he tells me is, "You need a tune dude." I say, "What?" He says, "Really, a tune would fix the problems you've been having with the surging and now this." He goes on to explain that with the intake and exhaust, the engine is breathing a lot better (More efficient) so the turbo pumps more boost (they where seeing 22psi). The wastegate is supposed to open at 17psi, which it does. The ECU through mapping knows the engine is breathing better and expects to see the higher boost, but when the gate opens and boost falls off the ECU went into limp mode(after several cycles). He also told me that I might be able to put a restriction into the vacum line to the wastegate and that might help, but a tune would solve the issue. The mechanic was also there and agreed. Of course I asked about warranty and they both said, unless you or your tuner are a dumbass and we determine the cause of the failure was because the tune directly caused a catostophic failure, it's not an issue.(now before you start, I am only reporting what this dealer "said") So for now that's where I'm at. Somebody PLEASE come out with a tune!!!!!!

#26 ·
hmmm, well that is funny to know, but unfortunate at the same time. Our wastegate is elec. controlled right? I'm sure it reads a certian voltage/ohm/etc whatever at certain psi's so what if we started putting resistors in that line, so the ecu reads maybe 20psi max? With how rich our cars run, I feel that even if the ecu didn't put in as much fuel, it would actually help the car run better.
I am no electrical engineer, so I could be way off base with this, but the same concept (sorta) works for putting a resistor in the IAT line on other cars to make the temps read colder and advance timing, so why not.

just a thought :p

#30 ·
Our wastegate is elec. controlled right? I'm sure it reads a certian voltage/ohm/etc whatever at certain psi's so what if we started putting resistors in that line, so the ecu reads maybe 20psi max? With how rich our cars run, I feel that even if the ecu didn't put in as much fuel, it would actually help the car run better.
I am no electrical engineer, so I could be way off base with this, but the same concept (sorta) works for putting a resistor in the IAT line on other cars to make the temps read colder and advance timing, so why not.
p
Yes and no I think. From my time with the mechanic yesterday I think I learned that it is electrically controlled but pneumatically actuated.

#29 ·
Had the issue again yesterday after adding shims to the yellow spring. Seems to only happen when the Outside temp is above 80°. I stopped at the dealer because I wanted them to see it happening. I didn't have an appointment, and didn't expect them to do anything, just wanted them to see it while it was happening. 4 hours later....everything that was happening has been logged on to there computer. Live data documenting all engine parameters when boost is lost have been saved and forwarded to Hyundai support. They did check and replace two clamps on the hot side pipe to the intercooler, but no change.

Theorizing..we think that the solenoid providing vacuum to the BOV is opening and the BOV dumps...The ECU is expecting boost but as soon as the BOV opens, no boost. The ECU then goes into limp mode and you get the CEL P0299...no boost or boost not what ECU was expecting. Now why is the solenoid opening? We don't know but it could be that the higher OAT is causing a resistance in the windings and the ECU sees this as a signal to open it or the ECU itself could have a problem. Looks like this will be a work in progress. I'm just greatful that I have such a wonderful Service Department that cares about my problem and is doing all that they can to bring about a resolution.

I will update when I can.

#40 ·
I put the yellow spring in before our meet on Saturday and I ran the hell out of it and it was hot out. It was 80* by 9am. No issues at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.