Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been a minute, having some issues I’m hoping you all might be all to help with. So first a little backstory before we get to the current codes. Recently I was throwing a P0139 every day for a week before I could check into it. I’ve been getting it at random here and there ever since having done my cattless pipe but not to this extent. I thought I figured it out as a muffler shop had put the wrong size gasket on when I had my resonator cut. I was driving without the code for a full week, thought I was good. Then, this morning I started my car up and after it settled down my CEL was on so I turned it off and figured I was gonna see the P0139 and it was the P0300-0301-0303-0304 mentioned in the title... I haven’t driven the car since and I’m trying to weigh my options since I’m modded like crazy and don’t trust dealerships. My father has me thinking it could be bad gas since the night before I filled up at a station I don’t typically use. What does everyone think? What should I try? I’m worried...

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
3,903 Posts
Could be fuel for sure causing the misfire codes. Only run 91+ fuel in it. If you do not know if fuel is good you can datalog and may be able to tell. Also could be plugs or coils. Be sure plugs have less than 50k miles and gaps at .024". Run only OEM coils with less than 50k miles on tbose as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
.024 do you mean .028 ?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
.024 do you mean .028 ?
On a stock tune .028" is fine if it stays near that but they do burn wider over time if not readjusted and cause issues. .024" is good if tuned anf keep it there or for those on stock tune that fo not adjust gaps over the course of the plugs life.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! The plugs are fairly new so I don’t think it’ll be them but I’ll check definitely. I’m almost at 50k so I went ahead and ordered 4 new coil packs because I figure I need to change them out even if they aren’t the cause. I have no way of data logging because I’m all Apple and I don’t believe there’s anything compatible, though I could be wrong. My father was telling me to try DryGas to get out any moisture, he’s convinced it’s bad gas. Is this an advisable option to try as well?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Hope you got the coils from albert Hwang on FB for $200/set.

Set those plug gaps.

You can datalog with apple, just different reader and app.

Put some methanol(yellow heet) in the tank may help. Or use a 3/8" fuel hose and attach to the outlet on top of the tank sending unit and turn acc on and pump all gas from the tank pretty quickly. Then refill with good gas from another station.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I went ahead with the HEET and it seemed to get better, I changed the coil packs out and codes are gone! I don’t know if the HEET just took some time or if it was both, who knows I’m just glad they’re gone! Crossing my fingers they don’t come back for any reason. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
keep us posted

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P0304 this morning, misfiring cylinder 4. My AFR gauge bounces around and the exhaust pops harder, more gas smell exiting. This is after the HEET, new coil packs, and new spark plugs.. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
What plugs and gaps? What coils and part number? Good fuel in the car?

·
Registered
93 Posts
P0304 this morning, misfiring cylinder 4. My AFR gauge bounces around and the exhaust pops harder, more gas smell exiting. This is after the HEET, new coil packs, and new spark plugs.. Thoughts?
Interesting. I got the same P0304 code on my way home from work. I pretty much have the same upgrades as you minus the throttle body. I have the m45xls. I only started getting that code after I installed the plugs. They are torqued the proper specs as well as the gap. Checked them twice. The plugs are less than a month old. I will probably order coils as well but it seems like it has something to do with the plugs. I put them in a day before I had my tune done and I got the code right after I put the plugs in. After I got tuned it was fine for about a month and got the code again. I just turned 50k miles on my car.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Your issue can be plugs, coils, tune, or fuel. Will have to narrow it down.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Your issue can be plugs, coils, tune, or fuel. Will have to narrow it down.
I don’t think it’s the tune because I got the code before hand. I usually get gas at the same station. Always 93 octane. I will try the coils first and go from there.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
What tune did you get?

I've never seen an issue with 16 VT coils at your mileage yet.

I'd check in this order: Be sure proper plugs for the mods and tune and in good condition/working order. Be sure gaps are all .028" or little tighter and all the same gap. Be sure fuel is good. Datalog 3rd and 4th gear pulls of the car 3k rpm to redline with proper PIDs and post here along with all mods. From there I can tell you the issue.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My plugs are M40XL, just got the new set from Tork. Honestly didn’t check the gap, figured it was good since it was last time (shame on me, I know). I’m gonna check them after work today. My coils are 27301-2B120, I swapped the new #4 with the old #2 since that one wasn’t an issue before and it didn’t remedy anything so I don’t think they’re the issue. My fuel is from my usual Shell station, so I wouldn’t think that were the issue either. Hoping it’s the gap or possibly faulty?

·
Registered
93 Posts
My plugs are M40XL, just got the new set from Tork. Honestly didn’t check the gap, figured it was good since it was last time (shame on me, I know). I’m gonna check them after work today. My coils are 27301-2B120, I swapped the new #4 with the old #2 since that one wasn’t an issue before and it didn’t remedy anything so I don’t think they’re the issue. My fuel is from my usual Shell station, so I wouldn’t think that were the issue either. Hoping it’s the gap or possibly faulty?
Check the gap. When I got mine they were way off. Got them from Tork as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What tune did you get?

I've never seen an issue with 16 VT coils at your mileage yet.

I'd check in this order: Be sure proper plugs for the mods and tune and in good condition/working order. Be sure gaps are all .028" or little tighter and all the same gap. Be sure fuel is good. Datalog 3rd and 4th gear pulls of the car 3k rpm to redline with proper PIDs and post here along with all mods. From there I can tell you the issue.
Tuned by Tork
Sxth fmic
845 catless downpipe
Injen sri
HKS bov
Upgraded solenoids
Cnt cat back exhaust
Hks m45xl

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Yes get the gaps right and be sure plugs look good. Those will be fine on stock tune and .028" gaps. That's proper coils for your 16. If coils go bad replace all. Or replace plugs and coils every 50k miles regardless. Be sure using good 91+ fuel.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Check the gap. When I got mine they were way off. Got them from Tork as well.
Not surprising as they likely do not check them before shipping. I'vefound them to be way off at times myself. When I ship plugs I gap them specifically for the person buying them. If I make $ on them I feel like I need to do more than order and ship to the person especially since many may not know they need to gap or know how.

Tuned by Tork
Sxth fmic
845 catless downpipe
Injen sri
HKS bov
Upgraded solenoids
Cnt cat back exhaust
Hks m45xl
Yes, that tune can make misfire issues worse considering the number of engines that have blown and other misfire issues reported from the same tuner. Not saying that is the issue but the chances are higher. Do not have to take my word for it, just do some research. Although some info may be hard to find or deleted over time between here and on other social media.

This morning I got the p0300-p0301 and the 0302.
:-(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts