Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I've searched the net but come up with some mixed results on this code. My stock 2013 VT with CAI and 105k popped a 2261 error. My mechanic said It threw the error under 7% load cruising at about 40mph at full temp. He tested the BOV through the vacuum hose to make sure there were no diaphragm leaks, and that checked out (I recently replaced it with an OEM unit about 5-10k ago). I have noticed some sort of compressor surge or odd fluttering noises when decelerating. My mechanic was going to check for boost leaks but said he wouldn't remove any inlet hoses due to the tamper-proof clamps unless I source some spares pipes just in case there is an issue. Hyundai wants like $400 for all of the hoses so that's not going to happen... Is there any other tips or suggestions to diagnose/fix the issue?

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
So in reviewing your history, you seem to have a habit of starting problem threads like this, but never following up on what the resolution was. That being said, here’s some minimal advice:

P2261 is very common. Sounds like you need to replace the RCV again.

At your mileage, unless you have an extended warranty your mechanic should not have to worry about “tampering.”

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So in reviewing your history, you seem to have a habit of starting problem threads like this, but never following up on what the resolution was. That being said, here’s some minimal advice:

P2261 is very common. Sounds like you need to replace the RCV again.

At your mileage, unless you have an extended warranty your mechanic should not have to worry about “tampering.”
The issue with tampering was more to do with hoses tearing and not having spares and I will look to replacing the RCV but I don't have much time right now, which is why I didn't follow up on my post from two years ago about my BOV...I literally just fixed that a few months ago.

I've been a moderator on other car forums with 10,000+ post counts. Honestly, I post very little on this one becuse it's not very inviting.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
being a mod on a forum you should understand then why it's important to follow up.

just saying :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Point taken, ill try and do a better job of following up but at the same time I don't want to bring up a post from the dead... especially if I don't fix it for a year or more. Trashed BOV is no big deal, this one is a bit more serious.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
I’ve administered and moderated far more technical forums as far back as 20 years ago. This is kid stuff.

Abandoning threads you start is substantially worse than necrobumping them with overdue updates.

Without any aural evidence for this current issue, this one likely won’t progress as well.

There are literally a small handful of people monitoring this site and actively answering questions and attempting to help. You can probably guess who they are by a quick check of active topics. Two of them have already responded.

The more evidence, documentation and updates you provide, the more willing we will be to help.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
the stock bov certainly sucks, i've replaced mine twice now due to small tears in the diaphragm.

if they weren't so cheap used i would upgrade. now that i've got over 100k on the car my next one will be a nice one.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i saw that! lol my next mods will be tuix suspension and 16 rally springs, SS brake lines... and maintenance.

my kia is going to become the racecar next year, with a cage and seat, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to give you guys an update, the CEL has gone off and on several times over the last few weeks and it is currently off. The BOV sounds like it's functioning as it should when the light went off so I decided to try replacing the BOV solenoid but the part I got from Hyundai does not match the one in my car... The solenoid I received had 3 vacuum ports while mine has 2... I'll get it figured out but It's slightly frustrating because I just went through Hyundai part number hell trying to order a step colder spark plug.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Also be sure there are no leaks anywhere. Only saw mention of checking for leaks in minimal areas. Also be sure the solenoid is making good contact at the plug, no wiring damage, a good BOV/RCV is in place, and is installed properly. Most times this occurs on a stock car it's a leak or a faulty solenoid.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Just to give you guys an update, the CEL has gone off and on several times over the last few weeks and it is currently off. The BOV sounds like it's functioning as it should when the light went off so I decided to try replacing the BOV solenoid but the part I got from Hyundai does not match the one in my car... The solenoid I received had 3 vacuum ports while mine has 2... I'll get it figured out but It's slightly frustrating because I just went through Hyundai part number hell trying to order a step colder spark plug.
Dude. Forget getting another stock RCV control solenoid. Get a Pierburg solenoid instead. Plug’n’play, although using slightly larger vacuum lines is recommended.

there are two different solenoids IIRC one has three ports one has two. i think the one with three ports is for the wastegate?

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Opposite. The factory WGS is a 2-port solenoid. The factory RCV control solenoid has 3 ports.

The Pierburg can be used as replacements for both. For the WGS, you just need an EV1 adapter harness and leave the third (unused) port open.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, sorry for the delay.... Between work, grad school, the holidays, a vacation, a parent in the ICU, and drinking copious amounts of beer to keep my sanity, I was struggling to find the time to work on the car but I finally got around to replacing the RCV Solenoid. It's been nearly a full week with no CEL and the RCV is functioning like it should. Thanks for the info and suggestions!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts