Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the car on while showing a friend the engine, and I was kinda freaked out a bit how clicky the top end of the engine is especially with the plastic cover removed. Put me at ease and tell me you all have the same clicky-ness.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
That is perfectly normal for a direct injection motor - the injectors are very loud and clicky.

The engine cover is really for sound deadening.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Make sure when you replace the engine cover that you have it securely "clicked-down" on all 4 pins. I was hearing a high-pitched vibration at about 1500-1700 rpm and when investigating under the hood realized the noise was coming from the cover which had not been securely re-attached several weeks ago. Now all I hear are the sweet sounds of this wonderful engine, turbo and exhaust.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya thx, I guess the old if you hear clicks you have a bad seated valve theory goes out the window now with this engine..... I wonder what it would sound like if there was actually an issue... and if one would even know before they end up blowing the engine over some dumb valve train malfunction.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Direct injection engines require the most advanced variable valve train heads. In order to get the variable valve train "trick" to work the engine has to monitor everything. If there is a problem with a valve the ECU will go in to limp mode and turn off the fuel and spark to that cylinder and turn on the check engine light on the dash.

Previously a stuck valve could burn a hole in a piston within a matter of miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts