Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the vt comes with the same performance tires that are on the Genesis, plan on buying new tires annually. We have a Genesis and the performance tires lasted around 14,000 miles plus they are useless in snow and ice. Taking into consideration that we bought the car for style and not performance and are conservative drivers, this was most upsetting. Ended up getting new tires PLUS a set of snow tires, an expense we didn't count on. My question is, will the vt have to be outfitted with snow tires for those of us who live in the northern states or is this a summer only car?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would use all season tires

Just wondering, if vt comes standard with performance tires will dealer swap them out for all season tires. Local dealer was not very helpful or forthcoming when Genesis tires died at 14.000 miles. Seems an easy fix but .... probably not.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The tires that come on the VT are Kumho Solus KH25. Not the best tire. There are better, less expensive tires out there when you want/need to replace them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've always liked running Nittos. I ran Nitto Invos on my last car and was real happy with the all around performance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nitto or Continental for solid all seasons..

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Continental ExtremeContact DWS are one of the best all-season tires to date...a lot of my friends use them.

Reactions: VORTEX

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wow, that is a boring tire...

Kumho Solus KH25

It's classified as Grand Touring All-Season, it won't be great in the summer for performance, and it will not be great in the winter for safety, too much of an all round general tire. The UTQG rating is 480 A A, that will be good for mileage and economy, it will not be great for performance. The lower the UTQG number the stickier and the shorter lived, the higher the number the harder/less performance and the longer lived

The UTQG rating on my S2000 tires are 140 A A, I get about 15,000 miles out of the rears, but that's ok as that is 2 to 3 summers for me so it does not hurt so bad.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm a huge Hankook fan, chances are good I'll switch over to the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO
The UTQG is 280 AA A, a nice compromise between performance and longevity

·
Registered
94 Posts
ive always used american tires like goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 are great all season or bf goodrich are awesome

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
those UTQG ratings aren't always the best to go by as their really isn't any 'standards' to adhere to. some 200 tires can last less than another brands 400 and vice versa. I found this out when going through my 360 rated sumitomos in about 12k miles on my srt-4 vs. the kumho AST rated at 400.

The AST lasted me until I sold the car (15,000 miles) and had at least 40% life left in em. At 12k miles in the sumitomo's there was hardly any tread visible.

The tires on the VTurbo (I think same as the 18" NA V tires) is pathetic in my opinion. I know it is supposed to be an all-around car with more power than the NA V but they could have put a bit better tire on there in my opinion. hell the AST would have been a MUCH better option. on that note, I will probably be switching to 225/40 or 235/40 AST or ASX's once the stockers start to wear down on the aftermarket 18's.

·
Registered
287 Posts
those UTQG ratings aren't always the best to go by as their really isn't any 'standards' to adhere to. some 200 tires can last less than another brands 400 and vice versa. I found this out when going through my 360 rated sumitomos in about 12k miles on my srt-4 vs. the kumho AST rated at 400.
Correct, they are a guide is all, BUT, a very good guide
The key to remember though, using them to compare within a manufacturer's line is very accurate, using them to cross shop brands one must be a bit more flexible asnd do some interpretatiomn
A UTQG of 200 by say Bridgestone is not equal to a 200 of Hankook, however, if you know what a 200 Hankook is, looking at a 300 Hankook is going to be an absolute step up in hardness
And as you know, how a tire last for one person will never equal how the same tire will last for someone else, the road surfaces are different, the tire pressures are different, the way they are cared for is different, and how one uses them is different
All OEM tires are pathetic, it does not matter if it is a VT, or a Focus ST or a Nissan Frontier, OEM tires are designed for quiet, and MPGH, and low cost, that's about it

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
the tires that came on the SRT-4 were pretty awesome. BFG KDW2 were a pretty badass tire. Granted the SRT-4 was built to be a performance car, but I still got a combined mpg of around 30.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Of course there will always be a few cars that come with decent tires, but in general, OEM tires suck, IMHO
Cars that are advertised as real performance cars are much more likely to get good rubber
The Neon SRT-4 was very much advertised as a performance model
Hyundai though seems to have not promoted the VT in such a serious way

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
yeah, what hyundai did/is doing is quite odd. They keep talking about the car and the old commercial made it look like a 'performance' car but the stats beg to differ. I still think it would have been nice for them to throw on a 'slight' performance All-Season and not went with the same tires as the non-turbo, kinda odd in my opinion.

·
Registered
287 Posts
^ I agree, and it is way the helll past time we have a real review of a real North American production car to read

Here is my prediction, in 2015 they will come out with an R-Spec, and I say that because I will be buying in 2014, and will then be pissed as helll...

·
Vendor
3,541 Posts
yep, I am going to jump the gun and get it the day I can and next year they will probably do some revision that I will want and can't have.. That is how it goes though!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well people like me appreciate that, you will have come up with a ton of insights by the time I'm ready to buy

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm a huge Hankook fan, chances are good I'll switch over to the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO
The UTQG is 280 AA A, a nice compromise between performance and longevity
What is the performance of Contitental ExtremeContact DWS ? Compared to your tire ? I do hear that Hankook tires are good...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts