Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was suggested to create a build thread since I was one of the first to get the 2019 Veloster Turbo. Here are some of the pictures I'd promised earlier:

side.jpg back.jpg lights.jpg inside.jpg dash.jpg engine.jpg cold_pipe_bov.jpg jpipe_electronicwastegate.jpg

Got a few pics of the engine bay with the cold pipe/BOV and the J-Pipe (you can kinda see the electronic wastegate and downpipe). Let me know if there is anything else you want pictures of and I'll try to get some more tomorrow.

Also, I have been in contact with someone local who is affiliated with 845 Motorsports and I'm going to help create/test a super stock tune for the 2019 Veloster Turbo. We ran into a hiccup yesterday when we could grab the oem tune off the ecu, but we couldn't write a modified one back. Hopefully they'll work with the tuning software support to see if we can get it working.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would advise breaking the car in and getting a feel for the car before applying a tune. How will you have a baseline understanding of what the stock car feels like to use to form an opinion about the tune?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did the dealership come off the price much?
Not very much, I got $12.5K for my trade-in (2016 Veloster Turbo), but I still owed $12k on it, so I broke even there. On the MSRP, $29,160, I got them to take off $1,600. With tax, tags, fees, and the extended warranties I opted for, it was still slightly over 30K.
The greatest part of the deal was that I got them to sign an agreement to take off most of my aftermarket parts and give them back to me. I'd kept all of the OEM parts, so I just brought them back and we exchanged them. Just picked up the last of the parts today, so hopefully tonight I can get pictures and list them in the For Sale section.

Despite the higher cost than the old Veloster, I'm still happy with the decision as this car drives much better than the old one even with all the mods and tune the old one had.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Down in Greenville, SC at sxth element engineering. Volunteered for Mark to take some 3d scans of a few parts and test fit parts from Elantra Sport. I'll try to get a few pictures up here later with the bumper and other parts removed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, finally got all my pictures organized. Have too many to post directly in this thread so I made a public album in Google Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oAXdGs3oU48an7xDA
Feel free to ask any questions about what is in there and I'll try to answer them.

Talking with Mark, the engine, suspension, exhaust (muffler excluded) all match the Elantra Sport. So if you can find an Elantra Sport part that you like, it'll more than likely fit on the new 2019 Veloster Turbo. That being said, helping Mark with testing/fitment, I was able to get a generous discount on his Front Mount Intercooler kit and installed to boot. Boy the car feels even better with it on there, turbo seems to spool better and throttle is even smoother than it already was. In the pictures you can see how cleanly the SXTH Intercooler, Hot Pipe, and Cold Pipe fit and almost look stock.

I had brought my SXTH Short Ram Intake with me and Mark let me know that the 1st gen Veloster version doesn't quite fit, but it's easily modifiable to fit. Just needed to trim 3/4" off of the pipe on the turbo side and slightly bend the battery mount bracket. Also, the clean side oil fitting blocks the engine cover from seating, but he was going to work on moving it to another position on future versions. I plan on getting a 90 degree fitting to see if that helps any. Also, while we had the bumper off, I managed to install the Diode Dynamics SL1 LED Lights I got into the High Beams and I have a picture to show the color temperature matches pretty close to the stock LED Low Beams, but I haven't had a chance yet to test brightness in front of the car.

Mark also took a look at the stock sway bar in the rear and noted that the Veloster bar was the same as the Elantra Sport, but actually slightly thicker at 19mm vs 15mm. He will be eventually sending me a new custom bar to try out. Also, Mark will be making a custom axle back exhaust without a muffler available soon, so hopefully I can grab one when he gets them ready. It'll be similar to what he already has available for the Elantra Sport on his website.

All in all, it was a great time discovering things about the layout of the engine bay, how to take the bumper off (pretty easy), and other stuff about the car. While everything was being removed/placed back on the car, I got some great ideas for future upgrades including a new spot to mount my catch can since the strut tower location is a no-go for this car. I ordered new black nylon oil/fuel line (sold off the old lines with the Radium OCC kit) and some fittings, so hopefully once those come in I'll work on getting everything set up and mounted.

Unfortunately, on my way home, I picked up a nail in one of my tires, so gotta get that fixed either later today or tomorrow. Really wanted to drive around and test out the SXTH intercooler system on some local roads, but didn't want to do it while on the spare tire. So hopefully I can provide more feedback on that later.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice, makes more excited to get one of the R-Specs once they come out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, just wondering if you've managed to get the high-beam assist to work? Another user on reddit has yet to get it to work, and I can't seem to make it work either.

The manual just says to make sure the headlight stalk is set to "Auto" and to turn the high-beams on. The dash should have the high-beam light on with "AUTO" underneath, I've yet to see that "AUTO" portion light up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, just wondering if you've managed to get the high-beam assist to work? Another user on reddit has yet to get it to work, and I can't seem to make it work either.

The manual just says to make sure the headlight stalk is set to "Auto" and to turn the high-beams on. The dash should have the high-beam light on with "AUTO" underneath, I've yet to see that "AUTO" portion light up.
Tried it a few other times without it showing the auto light and of course it doesn't work. I've asked at the dealership and they just stated what was in the manual to me. So I'm thinking Hyundai forgot to add the module from the factory or something is definitely missing.
Plus my HUD is still broken, they supposedly replaced the cover for it last week, it lasted one day and now it completely stopped working. Going back in sometime this week to have them look at replacing the whole HUD system. Also, to make matters worse, I got a flat tire yesterday on my way home, so I'm riding on the spare tire until I can get back to the dealership to get it fixed or replaced. At least that is one plus about this model, they included the spare tire with the Ultimate (not sure about the other models), my 2016 VT did not come with a spare from the factory.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tried it a few other times without it showing the auto light and of course it doesn't work. I've asked at the dealership and they just stated what was in the manual to me. So I'm thinking Hyundai forgot to add the module from the factory or something is definitely missing.
Plus my HUD is still broken, they supposedly replaced the cover for it last week, it lasted one day and now it completely stopped working. Going back in sometime this week to have them look at replacing the whole HUD system. Also, to make matters worse, I got a flat tire yesterday on my way home, so I'm riding on the spare tire until I can get back to the dealership to get it fixed or replaced. At least that is one plus about this model, they included the spare tire with the Ultimate (not sure about the other models), my 2016 VT did not come with a spare from the factory.
Bummer on the HUD, hopefully they can get that corrected soon. With the few people that have the new '19 VT's and none have confirmed working high-beam assist, I'm guessing Hyundai screwed up somewhere. Waiting on more reports, but I'm going to call my local dealership today to discuss.

I didn't even notice the fact that it had a real spare until I got home with it, never occurred to me they'd do that since all the older models just had the fix-a-flat kit, is pretty nice of them to do so, but sucks you had to make use of it so soon.

I did decide this weekend, after a visit to my local professional detailer, to go ahead with a ceramic coating on the paint. First time doing so, but I want to protect that black roof from swirls and whatnot as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
quoting from a 19 Velo owner regarding the snorkel:

"So I was bored today and decided to poke around this new car as carefully as I could in order to not void any Warranty... what I found was shocking! I was trying to figure out where the cold air draw was from and started around the front grill. I removed the top of the snorkle where it connected to the grill and noticed a bizarre plastic "XXX" pattern at the opening.. thought "hmmm that's quite restrictive... but let's see what's in front of it and I couldnt believe it.. it had a plastic panel/funnel pointing towards the top of the bumper and WAS BLOCKING completely all the air flow! My guess is that the manufacturer put this plastic "feed plate/ air Funnel" upside down by mistake which is funnelling from above ( but there is nothing!! it leads nowhere and choking my car!! : XXX / ( pointing up drawing air from nowhere)....instead of like this XXX \...( drawing air from the open grill). I think this is a massive defect and I'll be bringing it to the dealers attention but I don't want them giving me **** for messing around with the car. I removed the plastic part and my car runs a lot better now that it can actually breath. If you have a 2019 I'd check it out."

19 snorkel.PNG

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you think that's actually a problem? I had saw their post, and I peeked at mine and see the funnel, but I haven't noticed any performance issues.

Here's a pic of mine...
HF7ugJg - Imgur.jpg
tjOnFRl - Imgur.jpg

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
reminds me of my tucson air duct. the only benefit i see is fresh cool air. but does seem small for air to funnel through. I wonder if the sounds is as loud as the vt1 when you performed a cone filter swap for the airbox

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
reminds me of my tucson air duct. the only benefit i see is fresh cool air. but does seem small for air to funnel through. I wonder if the sounds is as loud as the vt1 when you performed a cone filter swap for the airbox
With the SXTH Element Engineering intake on the car, it's nowhere near as loud as it was on the 1st Gen Veloster. Much quieter, but you can hear the turbo spooling up when getting on it. Even the OEM BOV is very quiet, I can barely hear it blow off, even with the tubing disconnected.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since this is supposed to be a build thread and those images will just get lost in the public album, I decided to put the ones for the Intercooler install directly in the thread:

SXTH Intercooler.jpg

Intercooler Mounted.jpg

SXTH Hot Pipe.jpg

Hot Pipe Intercooler Connection.jpg

Cold Pipe Intercooler Connection.jpg

Cold Pipe Throttle Body Connection.jpg

View Through Grill.jpg

SXTH Short Ram Intake.jpg

Also, got Diode Dynamics SL1 9005 LEDs to replace the High Beams and Profile Peak 2.0 LED Reverse/License Lights. Haven't had a chance to the test the high beams at night yet, but they do match the color temperature of the OEM LED Low Beams.

I've also ordered some nylon braided oil/fuel line and 6AN fittings to create custom hoses for my OCC system. Have a MightyMouse Gen4 PCV Can for the PCV side and a JEGS Air/Oil separator for the clean side. I hope to mount the PCV can between the cold pipe and the coolant hoses with a custom bracket bolted to where the intake snorkel attached to. The clean side will be mounted to the air intake piping next to the battery. That way each can will be close to their own source/return and the custom hoses can be shorter. Hopefully will receive everything this upcoming weekend.

View attachment 99566

Also, here's a view of the snorkel scoop under the bumper:

Snorkel Scoop.jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Car is back in the shop to get the HUD fixed and also to see if Hyundai knows why the Auto High Beam Assist doesn't function. While they have it, I got my contact there to swap back on the rims from the old Veloster:

Rims Installed.png

Went back today to get a rental car, a 2018 Subaru Forester. I asked how long I would have it for and they told me I'd have it until Monday, so hopefully they will get my car fixed after having it that long.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Car is back in the shop to get the HUD fixed and also to see if Hyundai knows why the Auto High Beam Assist doesn't function. While they have it, I got my contact there to swap back on the rims from the old Veloster:

View attachment 99570

Went back today to get a rental car, a 2018 Subaru Forester. I asked how long I would have it for and they told me I'd have it until Monday, so hopefully they will get my car fixed after having it that long.
good! benefit, is that you aint puttin miles on your car :)

·
Registered
26 Posts

Just had an appointment with my local dealer today that was pointless (figured as much), in regards to the high-beam assist. I have to go back and leave it on the 30th (and get a loaner), so I'm very interested to see what yours says/find out about the high-beam assist!

*EDIT: Apparently my dealership wants me to give them permission to let a tech drive it home so they can test the high-beams at night. Not too sure i'm comfortable with that.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts