Veloster Turbo Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, the bulb was actually a 9005, and got the equivalent H10 after a lengthy chain of translations. Since no website (including Diode Dynamics it Philips Automotive) actually has the 2019 Veloster listed, I was trying to find a tested direct fit. Something listed in an emailed order receipt or pictures on how it was successfully aligned. So we’ll see if this actually works, especially since the housing is sealed with an embedded desiccant and the LED module has a fan. Since one doesn’t normally have his high beams on for greatly extended periods of time then it might not be an issue. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So that set of bulbs didn't work. And to think a simple lookup of an email or whatever to just provide the right part number in one's own build thread would have helped. But, whatever. Seeing as new people are regularly greeted with "look things up before asking anything" posts, and when people do ask stuff they're get blown off while the priority is posting incorrect dyno charts, I can see the lack of interest in sticking around.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Does the “Sport” button still retain any engine mapping or overboost functionality, or is it relegated to steering, synthetic engine noise, and whatever (if any) stability management modifications that are outside of throttle/engine performance?

Those numbers seem like they should be well within what the power plant can deliver for a long time to come. Adding an LSD? Does it seem to step into traction control more often with that much torque being funneled through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure exactly what the Drive mode button controls. I mostly think it controls the transmission shift points and steering feeling. The "overboost mode" should just be built into the ECU Tune I would think.
Not sure I could add an LSD as I have the DCT Transmission. KDMTuners has a new DCT clutch upgrade that could probably better handle the torque, but so far I haven't noticed any slippage or other problems.

@ perrikwp:

193.43 whp/219.63 wtq SAE was the highest on stock tune as posted earlier in this thread. He pulled up the wrong one when overlaying them today for the comparison. I'll have him correct this Monday and send to you via email. So gains from tune are in the area of +40 whp/+38 wtq

The axle-back is a beauty! Wonder how much power it frees up? Can't wait to see what a mid-pipe will do for it as well! Then maybe a DP..........

Wanted to add a chart in STD correction that some use:
View attachment 100548
Thanks, I was thinking the numbers for the stock pull were a little lower than I had remembered.

Yeah the axle-back is nice, but it sucks that the midpipe didn't fit and I hope it doesn't take much longer to develop one that does. The mufflerless axle-back is slightly too loud for my tastes, so I'd like the midpipe to have the small bottle muffler/resonator combo his has. Hopefully it has a little better exhaust note control. I do sorta feel like having no muffler has already free'd up some power, wish we would have tested it on the dyno to see if it did anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So that set of bulbs didn't work. And to think a simple lookup of an email or whatever to just provide the right part number in one's own build thread would have helped. But, whatever. Seeing as new people are regularly greeted with "look things up before asking anything" posts, and when people do ask stuff they're get blown off while the priority is posting incorrect dyno charts, I can see the lack of interest in sticking around.

Just looked up where I got them from. I ordered the LEDs from Lightwerkz, 9005 SL1 LED Headlight (pair).

They definitely fit, but my left light doesn't quite project correctly. Not sure if I installed it wrong or what, but it glares on the road too much. I may swap them out for a different brand in the future. I have heard great things about Morimoto's 2Stroke 2.0 LED's.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not so much, as more of "the manual reads to use HB3 but Diode Dynamics claims they don't make one of those according to their site" day. Hence, a genuinely stupid issue where a large amount of websites claim the H10, HB3, and 9005 are the "same" or "interchangeable," but in reality the factory connector is keyed/polarized and the H10 socket isn't. No slot for the harness key means it just doesn't work. And that's disregarding any concern for polarization, as I don't know if there's a PWM feed since it's a CANBUS vehicle, but not using duty cycle for the high beams to generate a DRL feed. Again, a really stupid problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Went back to SXTH Friday morning to get the finished product of the mufflerless axle back. The changes they made over the prototype I was running made it fit and look much better. The tips come out further to be flush with the diffuser. The arms/bracket that hold the pipe are thicker and stronger, the prototype I had started to go crooked, but this shouldn't happen with the final product.

axle-back.jpg

We also determined the cause of the loudness I thought was the mufflerless axle back, but instead it was a big exhaust leak. Last time I was at SXTH, we had attempted to put on the SXTH Elantra Sport's midpipe thinking it was the same, but it wasn't. When we put the OEM midpipe back on, we must not have tightened the bolts on the connection between the midpipe and the cat pipe. The nuts came off which caused the connection to slightly separate and made a big exhaust leak.

exhaust-leak.jpg

SXTH was kind enough to give me some spare nuts and a new exhaust gasket. Everything sounds much better and I can't wait until they can get a redesigned midpipe out so I can get that installed too.

While I was also there SXTH had a chance to test a new product they were working on for the Elantra Sport to see if it would also fit the VT2 since a lot of things seem to be interchangeable:

Air-box.jpg

Should have it available on their site within a week or so according to their posts on Facebook.

SXTH also had to swap out the motor mount too. They made a few design changes to the 2.0 version that I had installed last time I was there.

Last change I made was to finally get my PCV oil catch can connected up. It had been mounted in the engine bay for a month or so, but hadn't had time to go through and get it all connected up. The can I use has a built-in PCV valve so I had to remove the OEM PCV valve and install an adapter to convert the 1/8" BSPT fitting to -6AN for the custom nylon hose I made for the can. The can I have is a mightmouse PCV can that is sorta like a hybrid/vent setup. When on boost the PCV blocks the pressure from going into the can and as the PCV is on the outlet of the can, this allows the valve cover to "breathe" when the car is under boost.

That's pretty much it so far. Need to do my next oil change in the next few days and I'm still working (slowly) on some custom fog/DRL lights, but I'm confident I will have something presentable in a month or so.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Just a quick update, no pictures, but I may add some later.

Received my Boomba BOV yesterday and installed it this morning. Blow-off sound is much more easily noticeable than on the OEM BPV. Installed by going through the bottom of the engine bay, was a pretty tight location to get the bolts out and back in, but I think it was easier than trying to remove everything to get the cold pipe out and install it that way.

Also, did an oil change using Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-30 since I had some left over from the last oil change. May switch over to the highly recommended Motul 8100 X-Cess/X-Clean 5W-40 on my next oil change.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Would you be so kind as to show off the HUD? Does project in blue? Green? I’m very interested in that feature for some reason.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Would you be so kind as to show off the HUD? Does project in blue? Green? I’m very interested in that feature for some reason.
You can see the HUD slightly in one of the pictures of the first post, but I can take more if needed. I believe you can set the digital speedometer to white, green, or orange. Other things that display are the lane guidance, blindspot warnings, navigation (including speed limits) and stuff related to the radio (I use Android Auto, so nothing usually shows for me in that spot). In the Sport drive mode, a digital tachometer replaces the lane guidance section and it also shows what gear you are in):

hyundai-veloster-64_800x0w.jpg

·
Registered
377 Posts
Got any WOT sound clips/videos of the exhaust? Would love to hear it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Haven't updated this in a while.

Travelled back to SXTH last Saturday to get the rest of the Cat-back exhaust installed since they were finally able to fix the issues with the prototype.

1568336781160.png

It sounds slightly better than with just the stock resonator. Much lower tone and a little less droney at highway speeds. Hoping to go back down next month for their official Grand Opening and get the car dyno'd to see if the full exhaust helped gain any power, especially since it deletes the 2nd cat.

Still working on my custom Fog Cover DRLs, got them mounted on the car, just trying to figure out the best way to hook them up to the OEM lights. Really don't want to have to splice into the OEM harness, so I am trying to find parts to make my own harness extension. So far I have both OEM headlight connectors (male/female), just having trouble tracking down the terminals for the male side. If anyone has any sources or contacts, let me know. The specifications for the male connector can be found here: http://www.ikum.kr/en/Product/prod5.php?mode=view&idx=5435

Don't want to post any pictures just yet until I can get them hooked up and show off the full effect. I do plan on making another set with a slightly different design and will probably sell one off depending on which one I like better. Stay tuned!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts
About this Discussion
91 Replies
19 Participants
perrikwp
Veloster Turbo Forum
This is the Veloster Turbo forum where you can learn all the tips and mods to make your Hyundai Veloster Turbo faster and talk about the new Veloster N!
Full Forum Listing