Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
31040d1401154199-triple-seven-racing-run-hyundai-veloster-turbo-us-touring-car-championship-pier.jpg
Torrance, CA (December 28, 2014) Piercemotorsports is proud to announce the 2015 VELOSTER CHALLENGE Racing series. The series is designed for amateur drivers in street-prepared Velosters to compete over some of the west coasts' best road racing circuits! The Challenge series will utilize the exciting time trial/time attack format where the racers best lap of the day/session will count towards the competition. The three fastest competitors will be awarded trophies, cash and prizes/contingency by series sponsors/vendors! They will also accumulate points for both starting/finishing and final finishing position that will count towards a year end championship! The series will consist of 5 racing events/rounds and the competitors best 4 finishes will be used to determine the year end champion. One wild card event may be substituted if a competitor doesn't finish/misses a round.

The following schedule is tentative and subject to change:

2015 Challenge Schedule!

~February 28th - Buttonwillow Raceway, Buttonwillow, CA (Config 13CW)

~April 9th - Willow Springs International Raceway, Rosamond, CA

~June 14TH - Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, CA (Full Course/Roval)

~July 11TH - Streets of Willow Springs, Rosamond, CA (Full Course with Bowl/Bypass)

~September 19TH - Buttonwillow Raceway, Buttonwillow, CA (TBD)

~November 7TH - Auto Club Speedway, Fontana CA (Season Finale and Socal Veloster Car Meet)

The series is for amateur drivers only, no professionals (professional driver to be defined as someone who regularly competes in a sanctioned motorsport event, holds a professional motorsport license or has been paid to drive in the last 2 years). The competitors must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid drivers license with insurance, have a Veloster and a DOT or better approved helmet. The racers will receive hospitality, be guided through driver registration, driver meetings, given instruction on and off track, feedback/download sessions, car setup and preparation help! If you've never been to a track/raced a car this is a perfect opportunity for you---you will be WELCOMED! If you ever wondered what it would be like to be a race car driver and compete in a professional race series then this is for you!

The spirit of the series is that of friendly/fun competition. The cars will be street cars---no one off/race prepared/gutted vehicles will be allowed to compete for prizes/year end points (they will gladly be allowed to run for exhibition!). With that said the goal is to showcase the Velosters potential as a fun track car and the following modifications will be allowed (complete ruleset to follow-stay tuned!).

The following aftermarket parts are allowed:
- Brake Upgrade's allowed providing they bolt to the oem Veloster upright
- Cat delete/downpipe
- Exhaust
- CAI Intakes
- Oil Cooler
- Upgraded Intercooler
- Seats and rails/harnesses
- Rollbar
- Springs
- Swaybars
- Shocks (coilovers ok)
- Wheels
- Any OEM aero (lips, wings, diffusers, etc)
- Aftermarket lips/splitters protruding less than 3" from leading edge and no further rearward than the centerline of the front axle
- ECU modification/tunes
- Lightweight batteries
- Carbon Fiber Replacement panels
**** Any tire 200 treadwear rating or higher/235 width may be used. Any performance modification that is not explicitly allowed may not be used. Please ask competition director if you have any questions about modifications. Both manual and automatic transmissions are welcome---both N/A and turbo cars are welcome (Kia Forte/Rio OK). Naturally aspirated cars are allowed any and all modifications/tires!!!!

A full press release, ruleset, website, social media launch as well as list of sponsoring vendors will be following early next year so please stay tuned!!! If your interested in competing or sponsoring the series please contact us at 310-542-2977 or PM us here.

Looking forward to an exciting series for 2015!

Jim Pierce
Front Strut Brace | Chassis Brace | Racing Exhaust | Rear Torsion Bar

·
Registered
400 Posts
That is awesome Pierce. I hope this catches on. Amazing opportunity for west coast owners!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
im about to move to west coast.

Pierce, do you have to attend all the events to be able to do this or could I possibly to at least make it to one for the experience?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Too cool, if I lived on the west coast would do this in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Not that I can complete due to the distance, curious if custom alignments would be allowed? Camber adjustments etc.?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Another reason to be jealous of you Mericans :crying:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I might be in for a few of these events. Muah ha ha ha!!!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would love to do this... maybe next year though. As I need the money I'd use to travel, to buy the parts I'd need to race.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ditto! Any recommendations from anyone?
Ton's of options, but the Nt-05's, BFG Rivals, and Hankook RS-3's are all excellent choices---really anything in the 200-300 treadwear range will be good and last quite a while. The requirements are designed so that a competitor can run an entire season on a set of tires comfortably!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ton's of options, but the Nt-05's, BFG Rivals, and Hankook RS-3's are all excellent choices---really anything in the 200-300 treadwear range will be good and last quite a while. The requirements are designed so that a competitor can run an entire season on a set of tires comfortably!
What about wheels? Would going down to a 17 or 16 be better?

·
Banned
7,377 Posts
There will be no NA Velosters challenging, so may I suggest changing the title to reflect this is for VTs only... Unless you plan on having two classes.
Actually they can. It is in Jim's Post:

"Both manual and automatic transmissions are welcome---both N/A and turbo cars are welcome (Kia Forte/Rio OK). Naturally aspirated cars are allowed any and all modifications/tires!!!!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What about wheels? Would going down to a 17 or 16 be better?
I'd stick with 18's if you can---17's certainly make tire options easier/more affordable, but 18's will be great!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There will be no NA Velosters challenging, so may I suggest changing the title to reflect this is for VTs only... Unless you plan on having two classes.
Actually as Rock pointed out they are eligible and welcome---and of the 7 cars currently registered for the event, the fastest lap at Willow Springs was in a KIA Rio driven by yours truly...now I'm not eligible/going to compete, but there's some pretty good shoes out there that I'm certain would fair pretty well against the turbo cars!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts