Veloster Turbo Forum banner

521 - 528 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
So I'm ready to buy but I'm a bit confused. Your site says it's a quick 20 minute install but here your are saying to remove the sprigs. I have a 2016 with stock exhaust, what am I looking at for the install?
You can do it with the car on the ground and not touching springs, it's just less room to work and the springs get in the way. I jacked up the rear so the weight was unloaded which allowed me to rotate the springs so I could get the nut in easier. If you play with it enough you'll get it, it's not difficult, frustrating maybe.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
The model year makes no difference. It's a twenty minute install for someone who is well versed in the art of shade tree mechanics. If your skills are less, or you decide not to remove the rear wheels and drop the shocks, it will be significantly longer.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The model year makes no difference. It's a twenty minute install for someone who is well versed in the art of shade tree mechanics. If your skills are less, or you decide not to remove the rear wheels and drop the shocks, it will be significantly longer.
Ok, I should be good then.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Ok, so after about an hour of fighting I did it. I jacked up the rear and got the bolts in place so I could raise the bar (no pun intended). Once I got the nuts and washers on finger tight the fun began. Getting a socket inside next to that spring is a PITA. I had to man handle the spring a little and get it to turn about a 1/4" so there was enough space for the socket to slip on enough to keep the bolt from turning with the screw. A 1/4" turn is about all your going to get out of the spring.

The end result is its on and I'm tired, time for a nap.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah that thing was such a pain... omg

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

·
Registered
694 Posts
I used an open-end wrench for the bolt head inside the spring bucket. Wedged it up in there so it wouldn't turn and used a socket for the bolt underneath. Hit wrench with dead-blow rubber sledge hammer to get it out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I, for the life of me, can't get the holes to line up properly. I have tried a few times. Every time it just slightly off.
I had the exact same issue and I kinda followed what was suggested using a coil spring compressor. Got all the bolts inserted. Then just get one side just enough to hold it on the end. Use one of the spring compressors on the other side and line up towards the middle of the trunk and tighten. It'll bring the bolt pretty damn close to the hole. I ended up using a rubber mallet to get the bar to move just enough to get it onto the bolt to where I could get the washer and nut on it.

As for the spinning bolt issue, I used an opened ended wrench putting the open on with the wrench vertical and I held it against the spring. That stopped it from moving while I was able to use a socket wrench to finish tightening them. I had to do this trick on 3 of them but I got the bar properly installed. And wow, what a difference this bar makes.

521 - 528 of 528 Posts