Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can buy these separately? I use these rims as my winter wheels and I accidentally broke one of them. If I can't buy them from a third party i'd be willing to buy one (or a few) from someone off the site. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Found one on eBay for $15.00 delivered.

I came outside yesterday and saw one of the chrome inserts was just gone. No damage to the wheel or tire. The insert just fell off at some point. WTF cheap piece of plastic!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Dave

·
Registered
454 Posts
Found one on eBay for $15.00 delivered.

I came outside yesterday and saw one of the chrome inserts was just gone. No damage to the wheel or tire. The insert just fell off at some point. WTF cheap piece of plastic!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Dave
Hey Dave! These blades go on with screws from the back. i got into a habit of checking the screws when I rotated or balanced my tires. You may not do that yourself but you can still tighten your screws. One time I found a blade loose. I fear I would’ve lost it if I hadn’t checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Dave! These blades go on with screws from the back. i got into a habit of checking the screws when I rotated or balanced my tires. You may not do that yourself but you can still tighten your screws. One time I found a blade loose. I fear I would’ve lost it if I hadn’t checked.
Yup. I'm going to check them all. Just seems silly that something like this would just loosen up and fall off.

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
In case anybody else has a similar situation...

These are my wheels:

wheel.jpg

One of the plastic chrome inserts fell off. No other damage to the wheel. It just fell off.

Took car to dealer. Chrome bit is not covered under warranty. Dealer checked the wheels. The chrome bit is held on by three screws. Mechanic said some inserts were missing screws and the remaining screws were badly rusted. To fix this the dealer has to order a replacement insert and then charges me for labor removing the wheels, replacing screws, etc. Didn't bother to get an estimate.

Found a replacement chrome insert on eBay for $10.00. Right now waiting for it to be delivered. When it shows up I'll take it to my local mechanic and have him put it on and check the rest of the wheels. Local guy will charge me $40 bucks. For $40 I'm not going to try to do this dumb job myself.

This is my first Hyundai and my first set of low profile tires. Right now the car has 24K miles on it. Bought it less than six months ago and I've put over $1000 into two new tires and a complete front brake job. We have crap roads around here and the low profile tires make for a rough ride. But I like this little car and I'm going to make it work for me. Now that the front brakes are done and I have new tires, I'm in pretty good shape. If I had spent $40K on the car and bits of trim were falling off I'd be seriously pissed. I got a reasonable deal on my VT so I'll keep the griping to a minimum. Just a little irritated that Hyundai puts bling on the car that then falls off, and they win't fix it. Ah well.

Next year I think I'm going to drop back to 17" aftermarket wheels. My VT is pearl white and looks like a storm trooper helmet. I think some nasty black 17" rims will be a reasonable mod. Then I'll have the stock 18" bling rims which I expect will be next to worthless.

Sorry for the rant but hope this is useful information for someone!

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
$$

I'll wear down the current tires and then upgrade the whole package.

Been trying to find more pics and others who have moved to 17s. The 18s do have a nice look...

Dave

·
Registered
14 Posts
Holy carp! Ok, everybody gets to laugh at me.

I found screws at the hardware store that will work with the inserts. I've felt through the backs of the wheels and I'm missing screws on every wheel. How does that happen?

So I buy a bag of screws and washers and go to take the wheel off so I can do this dumb job myself.

Not only does this car not have a jack, it doesn't even have a spare tire!

I'm feeling very old right now. I had never heard of a car not having a spare tire. Now everybody is telling me "oh, new cars don't come with spare tires anymore" WTF. Yes I see I can buy a "spare tire kit". It's cheaper to join AAA so that's what I did.

But I can't jack my car up so I can fix the wheel.

My wife drives a Honda. Maybe the Honda has a jack and lug wrench I can borrow.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
It’s been known the car has no spare and no jack (in the US) since it was first released in 2012. Research before you buy.

·
Super Moderator
2,982 Posts
harbor freight has a nice low profile hydraulic jack, i think its $70

·
Registered
14 Posts
harbor freight has a nice low profile hydraulic jack, i think its $70
$70.00 so I can put in a dollars worth of screws. And I still don't have a spare.

I do have a sense of humor though. My friend told me "your car was made to be bought, not driven". Har.

I put the wife and I on AAA. I can borrow a jack. It's still fun to drive.

Thanks all!
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts