Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
No handheld tuner available. No piggyback is safe to use. Best bet is ecu tune from a trusted vendor. Qwik Tyme Performance or SXTH Element Engineering are the best choices.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am planning on going with a JB4 for my ‘16 VT. I’ll let you know if my car blows up. Lol
Burger motorsports has been doing this for a long time and people with a lot more powerful and valuable cars have had great success with them.
Piggyback tuners have come a long way and they aren’t all like the old-school ones that just do stuff like fake the intake temps, etc. No method of messing with the ECU is guaranteed safe though. I like the JB4 because it connects to the CAN and reads several systems to try to make sure it’s not running too hot, etc.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I am planning on going with a JB4 for my ‘16 VT. I’ll let you know if my car blows up. Lol
Burger motorsports has been doing this for a long time and people with a lot more powerful and valuable cars have had great success with them.
Piggyback tuners have come a long way and they aren’t all like the old-school ones that just do stuff like fake the intake temps, etc. No method of messing with the ECU is guaranteed safe though. I like the JB4 because it connects to the CAN and reads several systems to try to make sure it’s not running too hot, etc.
Fooling a decent oem tune to make more power on a better built engine is different than fooling a not so decent oem tune to make more power on a much more fragile cheaper made engine. The latter will have more issues every time. Neither one will make as much power, be as safe, or have some features an ecu tune can have. And all can be detected unlike some may claim. By the time you get a piggyback to do all it can do and still not add up to an ecu tune it will also cost more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So me and my brother have built many domestic street cars and drag cars. My veloster is just a daily driver to save gas and enjoy the drive without having issues . I found a place locally that can do a ecu tune and dyno. But because hyundai isn't into performance like Honda and Toyota, im kinda skeptical about doing anything other then what I've already done to it. All I'm trying to achieve with the ecu tune is to make the throttle more responsive and bump up the boost about 4 psi.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Do not consider an ecu tune out of convenience being local. If you do that you may as well get a piggyback. Always choose best for the car. These cars can be tuned remotely and even on spare ecu but these cost more $. What you're wanting would be like $300-$400 if Qwik Tyme Performance were to tune the ecu. Little more for SXTH. Both would be solid choices. But you need proper mods before considering a tune or piggyback.....

Reactions: MrNicG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I currently have intake, exhaust, hks plugs, and catch can. All im looking for is a dependable 270hp with out tearing anything up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Crank, 70hp over stock 201.
That's a pretty reasonable goal. I estimate I am at that or higher with my mods, some ethanol (side note, trying alternate ethanol blends is not recommended unless someone knows what they are doing), and stock tune. I have reduced weight to make it quicker too. I have a similar approach with my VT. Most of my experience has been with NA cars and the VT was just to have something zippy for a long commute. I work remote now so I am looking at getting a bit more adventurous with it since it can sit for several days if I do a bigger project.
I am set on the JB4 for the following reasons:
I have observed burger motorsports for many years.
The JB4 has a customizable pedal map.
My kids are both almost driving age and they will probably be driving the VT so it will be nice to adjust the tune on the fly.
The JB4 can go back and forth between E85.
The JB4 connects to CAN BUS to monitor other systems.
Since the JB4 connects to CAN BUS, I may be able to communicate with it for another project I am looking into, a DIY hybrid.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
270 crank is 230's whp which is really easy to do. Plugs, intake, and ecu tune, on 91+ pump gas for 16-17 VT. 13-15 may require fuel line.

Reactions: MrNicG

·
Registered
17 Posts
270 crank is 230's whp which is really easy to do. Plugs, intake, and ecu tune, on 91+ pump gas for 16-17 VT. 13-15 may require fuel line.
yeah, as you start making more power you want to avoid the collapsing fuel line problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts