Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so this isn't for the people looking to lower their cars. It's for people who use them as their daily driver or commuter or beater whatever and want a more comfy ride.
I was recently looking into what else would fit the Veloster ('13-18) front struts to soften the ride.
Came across the 2013-2016 Elantra (sedan) strut assy. and it's sold as 1 unit, strut and springs and top mount all put together for $140 a pair, plus they included a pair of stabilizer/sway bars, which I didn't use, but measured against the OEM veloster stabilizers, they would fit if I needed.
here:
I was worried, that it'll raise the front substantially to make the car look funny. Anyway, $140 won't be a huge loss, it's worth a try, I already wrote it off as a loss if doesn't work. I wasted more money on pointless stuff.
According to websites, the 2013 Elantra's curb weight is 2,773 to 2,923 lbs , the 2013 V turbo is 2,800 to 2,888 lbs, which is just perfect.
Now, looking at the springs, it's obvious that the Elantra's (newer looking) are longer, but the entire strut assembly is the same size, give or take a few millimeters.

The only small difference is the screw hole for the brake line and the ABS, ,because the ABS cable hanger is 10mm, while the Elantra is 12mm, but I didn't care, i zip tied it to the hole, I could just drill it out to fit in a 12mm, but I didn't want to mess around too much before actually testing that these struts/spring is gonna work.
So, I like the results! A lot smoother ride, that's for sure, also less tire noise, the car handles the potholes and shitty roads a lot better! The looks, I'd say the car looks a tiny bit higher than stock, maybe 1/8" or even less taller on the front. I tried going into some bigger holes, trying to bottom it out, it doesn't. Handling-wise yes, the car won't be as sharp but not significantly worse, I actually don't notice much difference, beside the quieter and less bumpy ride. What it had though was possible more wheel hopping going on, but be aware I hammered the gas pedal going up the highway from 40mph to 80pmh. Tomorrow I'll do more testing (commuting to work - 55 min. ) and the springs also have to settle more, 10 miles aren't enough to see how it goes.
If you ask me, I think this is the way to go, instead of buying smaller wheels with higher sidewall tires. Although the combo of this and smaller wheels/higher sidewall tires will probably make the ride even smoother.
I'm also thinking buying Elantra springs for the rear, but no rush, the rear isn't bothering me and the car doesn't look weird.
I'm satisfied after the first ride, how cheap this was!
I have some pics, but it was already dark, and the car is on a hill on my driveway.
There is much less wheel gap on level ground.
I'll make a daytime picture tomorrow. Also see how it goes later on, if anything changes, I'm willing to take the risk.
Standing at a gas station I had a hard time seeing difference from stock height.
(The rear height is completely stock OEM springs/shocks)

Camera flash makes it look worse than it is.

Car with OEM Springs (on a same slope) below :

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
What about on the back ?

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
3,903 Posts
cheaper option would be oem suspension with talll wide tires on smaller wheels and air pressure adjusted properly. Or just avoid rough areas when possible.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about on the back ?
That's stock Veloster.

No, the tall tires/small wheels don't take away the mid size bumps and potholes. Already tried it, have a set of 17s with 225/45s. They deal with the small stuff ok, but try a New England road which features nearly speed bump size road imperfections and awful repairs or cracked/broken off edge of the highways.

Here is the car in daylight on level ground. Virtually no difference in look from stock suspension, but the ride quality is way better. Again, front is 2013-16 elantra, rear is completely OEM veloster.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
That's stock Veloster.

No, the tall tires/small wheels don't take away the mid size bumps and potholes. Already tried it, have a set of 17s with 225/45s. They deal with the small stuff ok, but try a New England road which features nearly speed bump size road imperfections and awful repairs or cracked/broken off edge of the highways.

Here is the car in daylight on level ground. Virtually no difference in look from stock suspension, but the ride quality is way better. Again, front is 2013-16 elantra, rear is completely OEM veloster.
View attachment 105826
A 225/45R17 ain't shit though. It's a 225 width 25" tall tire on a stiffer than oem suspension up front.

245 or 255 width, 26" tall tire, on 16" or 17" wheel, with lowered air pressure, and oem suspension will be night and day different than the setup you have here.

I've only had 15"-18" wheels, 24"-26" tall tires, 215-255 width tires, and oem to solid suspension on the car. That's quite a range I've used. And don't think only NE roads are bad.

Soft suspension, most tire between wheel and the road(width and sidewall height), and low air pressure soak up road imperfections. Opposite of this makes them more felt.

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
I live in New England as well 225/45 all day lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, after a week, how does the car ride with this suspension? I just put some 225/50/17’s on new wheels, but I’m about ready to install some winter tires. The winter setup is gonna be 225/45/18 on oem wheels. I need the softest suspension I can find for my daily driver

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
So, after a week, how does the car ride with this suspension? I just put some 225/50/17’s on new wheels, but I’m about ready to install some winter tires. The winter setup is gonna be 225/45/18 on oem wheels. I need the softest suspension I can find for my daily driver
You'd be good on that setup on the oem suspension and lower the air pressure in the tires. Not going to get must softer than that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are the oem spring rates for the Veloster and the Elantra available anywhere? The Veloster is technically a small sports car, and is built as such. I would believe that the spring rates for the Veloster are higher than that of the Elantra, in order to keep the car better planted during spirited driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts