Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally. Sticky this, please, in all subforums, if possible.

“NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V204000

Manufacturer Hyundai Motor America

Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, ENGINE

Potential Number of Units Affected 16,487

Summary

Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2013 Veloster vehicles that are equipped with 1.6 liter turbo engines. The engine management software may cause premature ignition (pre-ignition) of the air/fuel mixture in the engine. The resulting excessive cylinder pressure may damage the engine.”

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2013/HYUNDAI/VELOSTER#recalls

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Honestly, I'm curious what it took to finally make it official.

·
Registered
2013 VT, Manual
67 Posts
Odd. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad but my 13 is not covered under this recall.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Honestly, I'm curious what it took to finally make it official.
Once enough issues are reported that's a safety concern something has to happen. I'm just curious if they're doing this and will not replace engines anymore that may let go?

·
Registered
377 Posts
They only did this because of the fire investigation. They found that early VTs were blowing engines and that could cause potential fires.

·
Registered
2013 VT, Manual
67 Posts
Just figured out the VIN search isn't pulling any of the VTs yet. They might be waiting for dealers to notify owners until they update the database. Does anyone know how many 2013 Veloster Turbos were built/sold in the US?

There were 30,711 Veloster's sold in 2013. I'm just going to guess that 16,487 of those were Veloster Turbo's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Read through the NHTSA documentation a few times, sounds like they will notify owners May 13. Guessing a search of the vin on NHTSA will not be live for this recall until they do the notifications. In addition to the NHTSA site, you may want to keep an eye on the Hyundai Recalls site too. Looks like this impacts 2013 models built before they implemented new software October 17, 2013. Sounds like if your was built April 26, 2012 through Oct. 16, 2013 you will have a recall. If you look on the sticker on the driver side door jamb, it will give you a build date. I was October 2012.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an early 2013 Veloster Turbo. I know that at one point in the past, when I brought it in for service they did an ECU update for some other issue. Would that have updated the software to a version that had the problem fixed already? (i.e. Is this recall only going to be for vehicles still on the originally shipped firmware version?)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just an FYI update. I own a 2013, produced April 19th 2013 (2 days before my birthday oddly enough) , and have not yet received anything on this recall. Has anyone else seen anything yet?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think I should have but I don't believe Hyundai Canada has my updated address so they probably sent the notification to the wrong place...

When I did a check on the Hyundai Canada site it told me there was a recall to get it reprogrammed! Going to get that done and see if my strange misfires when starting go away. :crazy:

·
Registered
741 Posts
No I haven't received anything yet as well.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Going to get that done and see if my strange misfires when starting go away. :crazy:
It won't, better look at plugs and coils. I had the same issue, dealer thought 1 bad plug, 2 weeks later it was the other 3 plugs and a ignition coil. Now the car runs good again :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have an early 2013 Veloster Turbo. I know that at one point in the past, when I brought it in for service they did an ECU update for some other issue. Would that have updated the software to a version that had the problem fixed already? (i.e. Is this recall only going to be for vehicles still on the originally shipped firmware version?)
Pretty sure this was for the kink in the fuel line, however they did apply a software update as well as all my settings were reset after the new fuel line. Some people posted that there tunes were overwritten so it did appear to be some kind of software flash back then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just called hyundai to see if i had a recall and i do. i have an appointment for june 3rd for "Pre-ignition" recall. Guess you have to call them. They apparently started doing them on may 16. Wish me luck. Ill update you guys on how the car feels afterwards. Oh and i have a 2013 VT that was made in 2012 at the Ulsan plant.

·
Registered
2013 VT, Manual
67 Posts
I haven't either. Did anyone's VIN come up on the Hyundai recall website? Mine didn't.

·
Registered
2013 VT, Manual
67 Posts
I called Hyundai, (855) 671-3059, and they confirmed my car is under recall and scheduled a service appointment. The person I spoke with was not sure why my VIN wasn't coming up on their website.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2013 owner with a build date of Sept 2012 checking in. My vin did not pull up on any of the sites either. Called the number above and was able to confirm that mine is under recall as well. Before I call and schedule an appointment, will the dealership have any problems/issues with having an intake and oil catch cans?

·
Registered
2013 VT, Manual
67 Posts
Doubt it since you are going in for a recall and not warranty work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I removed all my mods. intake, catch can, even put back on my stock muffler. I am not taking any chances with Hyundai dealers.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts