Veloster Turbo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
This recall is worded oddly. It says the programming may cause engine failures due to pre-ignition. Are they checking for evidence of damage as well, or just doing a reprogram to avoid possible future damage? If there is evidence, are they going to rebuild/replace engines that suffered damage?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im thinking they are doing a reprogram of the ecu software. Something to do with ignition logic and timing to avoid possible damage to engine from pre-ignition which the 2012-2013 built ones suffer from, they have different ecu software according to Hyundai they made tweaks to the ecu 2014 and onwards. But in the recall it does say that Hyundai will compensate owners that paid for repairs due to this recall.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It won't, better look at plugs and coils. I had the same issue, dealer thought 1 bad plug, 2 weeks later it was the other 3 plugs and a ignition coil. Now the car runs good again :)
You were both right and wrong! :crazy:

I already have replaced all the plugs as well as the coil on cylinder 4 (the one giving me issues).

I had the recall done and it didn't solve it... didn't really notice anything different at all after the reflash... whatever they did it seems pretty minor.

·
Registered
2013 VT, Manual
67 Posts
Had my software updated yesterday. Took about 30 minutes. Guess now all these oil catch cans and premium gas talk is obsolete. Haha Living the worry free life from here on out.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I too have it scheduled for next week. Will continue to use premium fuel and high quality oil/change every 3.5k.

I'm guessing there was some bug that when near LSPI, the software freaked out... and the results was a boom.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Umm, no. Just poor tuning in the area where LSPI most often occurs (1500-3000 RPM). Too lean and too much boost, catalyzed by deteriorating combustion chamber conditions (increasing fuel dilution of oil, increasing amount of hydrocarbon deposits, inadequate oil type, too much calcium in oil) over time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Compensation for Work?

Im thinking they are doing a reprogram of the ecu software. Something to do with ignition logic and timing to avoid possible damage to engine from pre-ignition which the 2012-2013 built ones suffer from, they have different ecu software according to Hyundai they made tweaks to the ecu 2014 and onwards. But in the recall it does say that Hyundai will compensate owners that paid for repairs due to this recall.
What are they compensating people for? A few months back, I had a bad misfire accelerating onto the freeway, where I just lost power, and the car jerked a bit. The check engine light flashed, and then stayed on. When I finally got it to my mechanic a week later (after babying the hell out of it for that week), it was my #3 coil, and the spark plug. Is this something that they are compensating for under this recall? It seems to me, to be related.

·
Registered
2013 VT, Manual
67 Posts
What are they compensating people for? A few months back, I had a bad misfire accelerating onto the freeway, where I just lost power, and the car jerked a bit. The check engine light flashed, and then stayed on. When I finally got it to my mechanic a week later (after babying the hell out of it for that week), it was my #3 coil, and the spark plug. Is this something that they are compensating for under this recall? It seems to me, to be related.
No this recall is separate. It is too prevent your engine from boom. You just had a bad ignition coil which is also common in our cars (I had 2 go out in mine and replaced the other two for good measure).

·
Registered
42 Posts
So what happens if your car is on the verge of going boom, and the updated ECU does nothing for the wear the engine has endured from the improper tune? Anyone get the recall while in a similar situation? How was it / wasn’t it resolved? I have an appt. Friday for the recall and my car is about to go.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So what happens if your car is on the verge of going boom, and the updated ECU does nothing for the wear the engine has endured from the improper tune? Anyone get the recall while in a similar situation? How was it / wasn’t it resolved? I have an appt. Friday for the recall and my car is about to go.
That is a very serious conversation I would have with the dealership. You'll want to provide them with all of the work done to your car along with every service completed so they have nothing to say about not warranting shit. Are you the original owner?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
My guess is if you have the recall done and motor goes boom then you're screwed and if you do not get it done your screwed. Lol!

Ask the dealer and get it in writing whatever they say regarding that scenario before they do the job.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That is a very serious conversation I would have with the dealership. You'll want to provide them with all of the work done to your car along with every service completed so they have nothing to say about not warranting shit. Are you the original owner?
I plan to. I have gotten my ducks in a row (document wise) and I also have a claim number from hyundai customer service. The guy I spoke with told me if I encountered any problems with getting my engine inspected, or with getting a loaner/rental to call them for assistance.

My theory (maybe hope) is they know they should recall the engine, but that is a costly recall to announce. Here was where rumor surfaced in 2017 about a recall on the engine, and the issues described are identical to my car.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjCzuvl75fjAhULVd8KHVzyBlkQzPwBegQIARAB&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/veloster/comments/6hbohb/engine_recall/&psig=AOvVaw0Vl07nPn4_6ihVoJJxaAjt&ust=1562213195344627

So you announce the recall on the software causing the LSPI, and require an engine inspection (which I have heard from others being performed during the recall). If the engine is faulty, then it’s replaced.

I have seen quite a few situations where owners had the engine replaced after this recall, but I can’t help but feel I am rolling the dice with the dealership. Hopefully all goes well.

Also, yes, I am the original owner.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In the shop now. Prayers sent that it is finally diagnosed and corrected. Been fighting this battle for over 60k miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I called my local Hyundai dealer yesterday, and got an appointment for tomorrow 8-am to have this update done. Service writer said it deals with a different calibration to make the car more reactive to pre-ignition and that is all. I was hoping it may address the dreadful "rev matching" software in first and second gear upshifts. I've had manual transmissions my entire life, and I am still trying to figure out how to shift smoothly from 1-2 and 2-3 consistently. The best way so far is to wring it out a bit, shifting at 3,500 to 4k rpm depending on traffic. I'll let everyone know if anything else changes, good or bad, with this updated ecu flash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I am new to the forum and I just got my recall paperwork for my '13 Veloster Turbo. I have been having some shuttering under load during acceleration. It has been sporadic and random making hard to pin point what was causing the issue. I am hoping this recall solves this LSPI issue because I am having the exact symptoms being described in the recall report.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the ECU flash done and noticed a difference in the occurrence of this shuttering/LSPI?

·
Registered
2013 VT, Manual
67 Posts
Hi,
I am new to the forum and I just got my recall paperwork for my '13 Veloster Turbo. I have been having some shuttering under load during acceleration. It has been sporadic and random making hard to pin point what was causing the issue. I am hoping this recall solves this LSPI issue because I am having the exact symptoms being described in the recall report.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the ECU flash done and noticed a difference in the occurrence of this shuttering/LSPI?
It definitely helps. If your AC is on the shuttering will be more pronounced. Depending on your mileage it maybe time for you to change out your plugs and coil packs too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It definitely helps. If your AC is on the shuttering will be more pronounced. Depending on your mileage it maybe time for you to change out your plugs and coil packs too.
Thanks for the reply.

The plugs are new with only 15,000 miles on them and I have replaced the coil pack Cylinder #3 after I got a code for a miss fire on that cylinder. Since then I have the shutter intermittently and computer shows no codes.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts