Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have just signed up to this forum and am a complete newbie. I have had my Veloster Turbo for three weeks now and am already having issues. Mainly when I press my push button start, the engine doesn't start. It has only been happening for the last couple of days but this morning I stalled in peak hour traffic and had to spend a few minutes trying to get my car to start! It shouldn't be that hard! I try every combination of in gear, in neutral, just clutch or clutch and brake... When I press the start button it turns the computer and lights on etc and then turns off - no engine! Even with my foot on the clutch right to the floor. So frustrating. Sometimes I can get in the car and it will start, sometimes it will take me 8 presses of the button or more before it starts.

I called my local Hyundai service department to book the car in for it's initial 1,500km check and mentioned this problem, and the lady said that there is a manual override to get the car to start, but I didn't really want to try that. Has anyone else heard of this or know what might be happening? I would appreciate any comments or feedback!

Thanks,
KC :cool:

·
Registered
353 Posts
To me, it sounds like when you clutch in, the computer isn't registering it properly. I think that's controlled by the upper clutch connector.
Check out the DIY for the lower connector that many of us have done to combat the rev hang, in there you'll see pics of both connectors

Check the upper one.

I seem to recall someone disconnected that one, and the car wouldn't start.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It could also be a faulty key fob or fob antenna in the car not picking it up correctly/consistently. That would prevent the car from starting as well. Although it should tell you there's no key or of there is. There's various instrument cluster indicators for it and some in the cluster LCD. For s&g's try your other key for the next few days.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
.. Mainly when I press my push button start, the engine doesn't start. ... When I press the start button it turns the computer and lights on etc and then turns off - no engine! ..
I called my local Hyundai service department to book the car in for it's initial 1,500km check and mentioned this problem, and the lady said that there is a manual override to get the car to start, but I didn't really want to try that. Has anyone else heard of this or know what might be happening? ...
The fact that it all lights up but doesn't start, tells me it's not the fob (if it was the fob then nothing would light up).
On mine if you press the start button once (without the brake pedal being pressed (I have an automatic)) the accessories light up, press it again and all the dash lights come on (but nothing starts), press it again and everything goes off.
I call BS on the manual override .. I asked that question when I bought mine and was told you're SOL if it doesn't start. It has to go back to the dealership to be looked at.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The fact that it all lights up but doesn't start, tells me it's not the fob (if it was the fob then nothing would light up).
On mine if you press the start button once (without the brake pedal being pressed (I have an automatic)) the accessories light up, press it again and all the dash lights come on (but nothing starts), press it again and everything goes off.
I call BS on the manual override .. I asked that question when I bought mine and was told you're SOL if it doesn't start. It has to go back to the dealership to be looked at.
It does have a manual override but I have yet to see where the procedure is documented. I asked the dealer about it when I bought it and they said there is as one customer had to do it in their Sonota after a minor accident.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
It does have a manual override but I have yet to see where the procedure is documented. .. .
I would like to see that. As far as I know the only 'manual override' is the key in the drivers door to get in. I'm not aware of any override to start the car if the fob totally fails .. (but I feel there should be).

Reactions: swordfish

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Sorry but its none of the reasons stated above, we have seen a lot of Velosters with this condition, mostly non-turbo but turbos as well.
Ok, so since it appears that you are in fact a dealership, care to shed some light on what the reason is? Or at least explain how it was fixed for the "we have seen a lot of Velosters with this condition"?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Just fyi-

The Manual Override everyone is talking about is just to override a dead key fob.

The fob itself has a two ways of communicating with the vehicle, primary being the regular proximity key system that the car uses. It will start the car any time the fob is in the vehicle, as long as the fob has a good battery since the transmitter for this method requires power.

The backup "manual" method is for starting the car with a dead fob battery. The fob also has an RFID chip that can start the car, but you must physically push the start/stop button with the fob itself for this to work. The RFID chip only has a range of a few inches, but requires no power to operate.

There is NO "stick the key in" method to start this car....

Back on topic:
Make sure the clutch is all the way to the flow when you are trying to start it, if that doesn't work then there is a larger issue. Clutch switch could be bad... Proxy key system... Why knows?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine had issues on cold starts, but it had issues where it looked like steps were being missed in the starting sequence. The dealer replaced the starter and ignition/starter relays under warranty and so far I haven't had issues with starting, not counting all the other issues I'm having...

Either way, get the dealer to look at it and fix it, everything should be covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts