Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Veloster Turbo DCT w/ Tech Package
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience programming the proximity keys?
I am trying to avoid having to go back to the dealership to program a key for a second time (which I am not even sure if they can do). Though they were nice enough to only charge me $55 to program it. I have a ThinkDiag OBD scantool from mythinkcar.com which should be enough to program the fob but I wasn't able to accomplish it myself so I ended up having the dealership do it.

Anyway.. after they programmed it, it worked fine for a while and then I opened the fob and had the battery out for a while (I was trying to swap the guts from the noname housing from Amazon into the original OEM housing which is a better build quality, which I was successful in doing) and then the fob didn't seem to work quite right. It was only being detected intermittently and the unlock button was only working when I was particularly close to the car. I believe the problem was due to the noname fob coming with a CR2025 battery which is less amperage than a CR2032 which I didnt realize until after I started trying to do steps like holding the lock or unlock button to try to re-sync with the car. Now I believe I ended up unlinking the fob from the car by messing with it ad infinum.

Anyone have any ideas? At this point I am thinking I would probably be wise to just buy another fresh unused fob for them to program (only $24 on Amazon for the one I started with) rather than risk giving them $55 to try to reprogram a fob that I might have left hopelessly unlinked.

·
Super Moderator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,805 Posts
I'd say just put a proper battery in it and let the dealer program it. I'd also question if anything about the new FOB may be causing it to not work optimal such as different or thicker material.

Reactions: MrNicG

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say just put a proper battery in it and let the dealer program it. I'd also question if anything about the new FOB may be causing it to not work optimal such as different or thicker material.
So I just noticed while messing with it that it will work pretty reliably (but not perfectly) if I am in the car and holding the remote in a zone above the center console. I also have to deliberately try not to obscure the remote with any portion of my hand. This seems to me like is transmitting very weak, even with a brand new 2032 battery. If it works at all I would assume it's not a programming issue and perhaps I damaged something when swapping shells. I have read that some of the internals are very fragile.

I tried playing dumb with the seller on Amazon to see if they will send me another one, otherwise I think I will just fork out the cash to buy a genuine one from Hyundai and then I know I can go bug them if I ever have any issues with it.

Or maybe the moral of the story is that the cheapo one on Amazon just crapped out already. 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Hard to say

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turns out the problem was that I damaged the antenna coil. I conferred with a buddy that is a hobby electrician and he said the tiny copper wire that joins the components of the antenna is broken so it still works but has a greatly reduced range. The Amazon seller actually was nice enough to give me half off the cost of a new one since we were in agreement that I broke it but I guess they were empathetic since they are very fragile components. So now I just need to get the new one programmed and leave the guts alone :)
Plus I have a functional spare now as long as I hold it within a few inches of one of the car antennas, so it wasn’t a total screw up.

·
Super Moderator
4,805 Posts
Good you found the issue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts