Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My big question is about the two ports on the stock intake: is it possible, or preferable even, to have an intake without any ports? My understanding is that one is the bypass from the stock valve (useless with BOV) and the other is for a sensor? Or do I have that wrong?

I'm also curious if anyone's bought this Ebay intake from AF Dynamic. The reason I'm interested in it is because of the shielding and the look of it. They call it a CAI but obviously it's an SRI.

Personally, I'm a DIY type person, and would rather spend $60 on pipes and couplers and build my own like I've done before than spend $$ on an aftermarket piece, but I don't have the capacity to port tubing on a DIY setup.

Thanks!!
-Henry

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
The breather and bypass barbs are not needed.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Breather for the valve cover.....
No catch can needed. Actually better with the breather and PCV setup as a dual VTA breather kit which I offer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So last question then, what do I do with the open hoses for the breather and bypass valves? Plug/crimp?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Things that need to be plugged or capped will get just that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I easily made a DIY SRI for $50. If you get 2 90s you just cut one shorter with a hacksaw. This also gives you an extra length of pipe to stick on the filter end if you want to make it a short CAI. I did a 3" just cuz I had a spare 3" filter lying around (Spectre $20 just as good as k&n) It still bottlenecks to 2.75" ($5 coupler off eBay). The main performance increase is deleting the stock airbox. Just slapping a cone filter on the stocker will also give noticeable throttle improvement.
Run a $17 moshimoto knock off baffled catch can (compared side by side they're identical, def the best cheapo option available nowadays) for the pcv (I also put another pcv as a check valve on the outlet hose -OEM are like $7) and vent the ccv down in the bay if you don't want to smell fumes. An air filter on this hose is kinda dumb since it sprays a mist of oil and it's one way. Also stuff the bpv hose down until you replace it with a bov. It's outrageous how much companies charge for a aluminum pipe. K&N is a joke and doesn't do anything performance wise.
Pipes:
Coupler:
Catch can:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I easily made a DIY SRI for $50. If you get 2 90s you just cut one shorter with a hacksaw. This also gives you an extra length of pipe to stick on the filter end if you want to make it a short CAI. I did a 3" just cuz I had a spare 3" filter lying around (Spectre $20 just as good as k&n) It still bottlenecks to 2.75" ($5 coupler off eBay). The main performance increase is deleting the stock airbox. Just slapping a cone filter on the stocker will also give noticeable throttle improvement.
Run a $17 moshimoto knock off baffled catch can (compared side by side they're identical, def the best cheapo option available nowadays) for the pcv (I also put another pcv as a check valve on the outlet hose -OEM are like $7) and vent the ccv down in the bay if you don't want to smell fumes. An air filter on this hose is kinda dumb since it sprays a mist of oil and it's one way. Also stuff the bpv hose down until you replace it with a bov. It's outrageous how much companies charge for a aluminum pipe. K&N is a joke and doesn't do anything performance wise.
Pipes:
Coupler:
Catch can:
Thank you so much for this hugely helpful response, PlanZero. Now I feel ready to get the project going.

I'm a big fan of Summit Racing, I built an aluminum short CAI w/ Spectre Filter for my 1983 BMW 320is (NA) for like $65. They ship stuff at like Amazon speeds. And it was a blast to build it, to boot.

I think I will try to do a 3.25 or a 3.5, just because that seems to be the aftermarket target size... though now I'm doubtful that's helpful if it gets bottlenecked to 2.75 no matter what?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Pipes:
Coupler:
Catch can:
How is this a $50 intake?

$39.99 for the pipes, up to $10.19 for the coupler, the spectre filters are more than $20, no clamps yet for the kit yet, no coupler to connect the two pipes, no intake support of any kind either. The example you gave would be a good bit more than $50 when completed, probably over 2x that cost, and would be mediocre at best.

I mean for free you can diy modify the OEM intake to make another 5-6 whp easy and it be reversible if needed.

Knock of cans and cans in general cost too much and are not as cheap or effective as a VTA breather setup is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
NP One2manyhobbies, Summit has the 3" Spectre for $16.99 or you can get the 3.5/4 from Wally world for $25 as I said I had one. I prefer worm clamps on an intake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NP One2manyhobbies, Summit has the 3" Spectre for $16.99 or you can get the 3.5/4 from Wally world for $25 as I said I had one. I prefer worm clamps on an intake.
I read that 18 page PCV/breather VTA thread and I am a lot smarter for it, but I still am not totally decided on what to do. I think I'm siding with TRDtoy, and it seems like you as well, PlanZero: Venting both the breather and the PCV to atmosphere with long hoses and a filter on the ends. No catch cans. Not sure if that will pass Vermont inspection which is pretty strict??

I'm thinking of also just VTAing the breather and doing the PCV -> catch can -> intake tube setup, like it is stock, because I do also buy the logic of that (not saying I think you're wrong, TRDtoy, just staying open to different opinions). That would involve drilling a hole like the stocker has for the PCV reuptake and jerryrigging that fitting somehow.

How's your dual VTA setup working, PlanZero? Do you have a vent on the oil fill cap as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts