Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally broke down and ordered my Hi-flow catted DP from 845. I liked there's the best as it looked like a much cleaner well built unit and the price was right.

I've been search the internet for any video on installing a DP on a VT but nothing. Do any o you know of any?
Also, for those of you that have done it before, any lessons learned, necessary tools that one wouldn't normally have? Do it cold or warm?

I have a full socket set with multiple extensions and deep well sockets as well as wrenches.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
ok my experience was this... drove to a guy that is a Kia mechanic who installed it for me. Soaked the nut in PB Blaster for 4 days prior. He heated with a torch and two bolts still snapped. He went through 2 carbide drill bits and used a helio coil to tap them. So it can be scary. He also dropped the whole front rack down to get access. Dont mean to be a downer just be prepared.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok my experience was this... drove to a guy that is a Kia mechanic who installed it for me. Soaked the nut in PB Blaster for 4 days prior. He heated with a torch and two bolts still snapped. He went through 2 carbide drill bits and used a helio coil to tap them. So it can be scary. He also dropped the whole front rack down to get access. Dont mean to be a downer just be prepared.
Geeze, Kyle was telling me it's not that bad. Can all be down from the top once you remove the intake pipe.

Reactions: MrPalms

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
yes and the battery and tray also... like i said i was at the Kia dealer so he had the lift and him dropping the front rack was no big deal for him... me f that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I did mine from underneath. Remove lower engine mount and hot pipe. Should be able to get all of them with an extension. You might need a crows foot.

Also, if it makes you feel any better i hear pulling the turbo isnt too bad of a job. :shocked:

Reactions: MrPalms

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
People will also say lower mileage the better... but i had aprrox 11K when i had mine done.... pretty much a crap shoot....

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People will also say lower mileage the better... but i had aprrox 11K when i had mine done.... pretty much a crap shoot....
Yeah I have 30k now so not comforting...lol

I don't have any crows foot attachments so hopefully I have enough extensions and adapters to make it work. Did you need a break bar at all?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I found a local shop thats doing mine on Monday for $65. Says he's not worried about the studs, told me to drop it off in the morning and pick it up end of day. Look for a local "mom&pop" shop to tackle it, personally its one of those mods I didn't feel comfortable doing on my own.

·
Registered
264 Posts
He has a buddy with a 13 he did already. I trust him, he does good work. That and I only have 17k on my car so its not too bad.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lee, no breaker bar here. I did break 2 of my studs but there was enough thread to get nuts on there still. Just go slow, lots of pb, and if it even feels like it might break just run it back in and soak it.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. After querying my local Cars and Coffee group I was pointed to a local performance shop that is highly recommended. They do a lot of the turbo upgrades and conversions. He knew my car and said $100 should cover it.

I like working on my car but if I run into trouble I'll be stuck where as they have the knowledge and tools to fix problems. For $100 I don't get dirty and back pains plus have an extra 2 hours in my life I can use to chase my wife around the house. Every now and then I catch her :crazy:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts