Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi-

So, my very first mod (well second if you count putting the air filter back in with the little flap propped open) will be to install this catch can being delivered this afternoon.

Evil Energy catch can on Amazon

It's not fancy or expensive, but it's got good reviews and I think it'll do the trick just fine. My question is, can someone recommend a good video to watch to learn the best way to install this? I tried to watch the first Veloster catch can install vid that came up on YouTube, and the clown had no lighting, a mouth full of marbles or some shit, and it looked like he was trying to impress his girlfriend more than install the freaking catch can. I hate crap like that. Are there any well made videos showing a complete, basic install for the Veloster? I have probably about average mechanical abilities, maybe a little less than average to be honest, but I can follow directions well and I'm not at all afraid of gettin in there and messin with stuff. I've got tools, a parts store less than a mile away and the confidence to get this installed correctly eventually.

EDITED TO ADD
I've got another question too - the install guidelines that came with the can say something along the lines of "if you live where it stays at or below freezing for more than 24 hours at a stretch, the catch can should be removed and the hoses put back to factory spec." I live in northern Illinois and it definitely gets to freezing or below for extended periods. Should I wait until spring time to do this?

Thanks in advance. I realize I could google this, but there are just too many results to sift through. I've gotten and read some damn good advice from the folks here, so excuse my google ignorance please, I prefer a direct answer from a trustworthy source like what I've gotten here. Thanks and happy new year y'all :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
There's a bunch of videos out there. Not sure if they will show you everything you're looking for or not.

Something worth noting about the catch can you are thinking about is that it doesn't look like it includes a mounting bracket. So you might need to pick a location and come up with a bracket solution first.
Also, 2.6' of hose isn't very much. I would expect to hit up the parts store for 4-10' depending on how you want to set it up and how efficient you are with your measurements and cuts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a bunch of videos out there. Not sure if they will show you everything you're looking for or not.

Something worth noting about the catch can you are thinking about is that it doesn't look like it includes a mounting bracket. So you might need to pick a location and come up with a bracket solution first.
Also, 2.6' of hose isn't very much. I would expect to hit up the parts store for 4-10' depending on how you want to set it up and how efficient you are with your measurements and cuts.
Hi-

Thanks for the reply. The first video says for '19 and up and I've got a '16. I fully understand that catch can basics are the same for all engines so maybe this will be a decent one to look at.
I don't know about the second one. I'm only doing a 1 side install, and the mess on his thumbnail would lead me to think he's using a dual can setup. That thumbnail on the second one hurts my eyes to look at with that stupid ugly font and way too much happening. In my opinion if his choice of thumbnails is that bad it usually indicates that the video will be bad too.. But, I'll try it and see, what the hell.
And yeah, I'm going to need to fabricate or find a suitable bracket for the thing, and I'm definitely going to buy better quality hose to install it with. Hopefully I can bribe the guys back in manufacturing at my job to "find" me a few feet of suitable stuff. One of the perks of working in a manufacturing facility is easy access to misc stuff like fittings and hoses and that, and when the owner is a car guy, all the better :cool:. I'm lucky in that respect, I just wish I had their skills! I'm in the engineering dept drawing up the stuff that they make, so my skill set is a little different.
Anyway, thanks for the advice - I'm sure I'll be able to tackle this youtube or no youtube. I'm looking forward to making my new to me VT mine, and this'll hopefully be a fun start on that journey.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the setup of the VT engines are the same as the NAV here's a video I posted up that may make things a little more clear.
Maybe. ?
Good luck though and it's a good mod to start with.
Thank you!
I gave it a quick watch at work with no sound and it looks like there's some good stuff there to start with.

Turns out I might be waiting until the weather warms up some to do the install. The installation notes that came with the can suggest disabling the can in low temperatures, and I'm trying to see if that's good advice or not.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2015 RB Accent-not so stock 🤫
448 Posts
The only reason they're say to disable it is due to water condensation accumulating more than in warm weather.

Personally I'd hook it up to protect the engine and just check the canister more often to prevent over fill.
It's your choice though and good luck. ?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
As I’ve said elsewhere many times, keep the cans warm, slightly above the engine with shortest tube routing. Goal is to only catch oil, not fuel & water vapors.

Cold cans mounted away from and below the engine with long tube routing suffer from unwanted precipitation of said vapors. The water component is obviously what freezes.

Passenger strut tower is the most appropriate location. I haven’t watched any of the videos to see who did what.

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,439 Posts
Yes, the PCV side is a touch smaller. 3/8" will work on both though especially when clamping them on the fittings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts