Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type/brand of coolant should I use to top offs?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Using the coolant that came with stock.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
No, it's not glycol, it's hybrid OAT (H-OAT). It's actually very specific or else there will be chemical reactions in the engine, so it has to be phosphate free and silica-free. There are some after-market coolants which are compatible, but to be safe it's best to refill a car which still has OEM coolant with more OEM coolant. I have a 5 litre bottle of Hyundai coolant which I have used to top up my car, and that will be 100% guaranteed safe. And I have a 5 litre bottle of GM Europe OAT red coolant for my wife's car.

There is more to coolant than the colour, and while glycol and water is green and H-OAT is green, they are two different things. H-OAT is related to pink and red OAT coolants, but not the same. Again with pink or red coolants it's best to stick with OEM unless the cooling system is drained, flushed and refilled with something different.

Glycol-based coolant is something you put in an old Ford or something like that.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
No, it's not glycol, it's hybrid OAT (H-OAT). It's actually very specific or else there will be chemical reactions in the engine, so it has to be phosphate free and silica-free. There are some after-market coolants which are compatible, but to be safe it's best to refill a car which still has OEM coolant with more OEM coolant. I have a 5 litre bottle of Hyundai coolant which I have used to top up my car, and that will be 100% guaranteed safe. And I have a 5 litre bottle of GM Europe OAT red coolant for my wife's car.

There is more to coolant than the colour, and while glycol and water is green and H-OAT is green, they are two different things. H-OAT is related to pink and red OAT coolants, but not the same. Again with pink or red coolants it's best to stick with OEM unless the cooling system is drained, flushed and refilled with something different.

Glycol-based coolant is something you put in an old Ford or something like that.
Are you sure about that? Maybe you should read your manual.

Section 7 page 34

Text Font Paper Document

For a guy who claims to know so much, you actually don't know shit!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Matty V knows no chill. Great human being, you tell him bubba!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I don't know how Hyundai could publish such inaccurate information. It's either been lost in translation or it's as accurate as their oil refill capacity. The coolant is H-OATS and any other coolant will cause chemical reactions with the existing coolant in the engine. All Hyundais have run H-OATS for many years, and that's different to glycol which has been around since the 1920s.

I got my information from Hyundai Customer Service because I don't trust the owners handbook. The service intervals are wrong for the Australian manual and the oil refill capacity is wrong, and now we find the coolant specification is wrong. The service manager at the local dealer confirmed that only OEM coolant should be used to top up the cooling system, which is what they do.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Not sure I would believe an Australian who likes to send videos of people driving to the police, over the book that Hyundai provided about our cars.

I would trust this website over you Antifreeze types IAT, OAT, hoat, nmoat. Recycled, boutique coolants.

It says
HOAT stands for Hybrid Organic Acid Technology, also known as GO-5. HOAT is an extended life antifreeze type. Hybrid OAT (HOAT) formulations are hybrid because additive packages contain ingredients from newer OAT ethylene glycol antifreeze types and the conventional ethylene glycol green formulas with nitrites added. HOAT is compatible with both the ethylene glycol antifreeze. HOAT is suitable for use in light duty and heavy duty systems. But, HOAT is not to be confused with OAT, below, but usually is. And, to be a HOAT antifreeze does not mean it is Dex-Cool, either, also below. Though HOAT does eliminate antifreeze incompatibility since this antifreeze type is compatible with all antifreeze types and colors. Some HOAT formulations contain recycled antifreeze. Some are marketed as GO-5. Normal HOAT antifreeze service life is 5 years or 150,000 miles (250,000 km).

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Amsoil sponsored. The service life for glycol & water is two years and the service life for HOAT is 5 years. Put glycol in a Veloster and it will have to be drained, flushed and refilled in 24 months. This is why those who think about what they are doing stick with the OEM coolant.

HOAT is low silicate and that is what makes it different and non compatible.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Amsoil sponsored. The service life for glycol & water is two years and the service life for HOAT is 5 years. Put glycol in a Veloster and it will have to be drained, flushed and refilled in 24 months. This is why those who think about what they are doing stick with the OEM coolant.

A wise person, or a person that has a heavily tuned car WILL change his coolant out at least every 24K. If you add any hyper chill additive change is a must every so often anyway. If I had to start filling to top off that would be indicative of some type of problem anyway.

Amsoil and Mishimoto super chill,..the best I have seen. 170-174 on a 180 thermostat. 181 in traffic,..pretty impressive.

·
Registered
694 Posts

Sticking with the OEM coolant shouldn't be an issue...

Reactions: Zapper

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently went to the dealership an they told me I need engine coolant is that something I can buy from autozone or should I should just stick with the oem coolant?? I own a 2020 veloster

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,654 Posts
Either one that is compatible will be fine. If you're not needing much just use distilled water. If a good bit then buy something from autozone that's compatible.

Reactions: Mingo

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
This is what I put in mine 30k ago. Seems to work fine.

Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Material property Automotive care

Reactions: misnblu
1 - 15 of 15 Posts