Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of you here would know from personal experience, the stock tires are not that great. Just wanted to know if any one had any recommendations for a stock replacement tire that had the above mentioned attributes. Do not really care about grip or performance (even thought im sure anything is better than the stock tires), since this will be going on my daily driver with stock rims. Thanks for your inputs.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You can get "more comfortable" on the stock tire size, but you're not going to get "comfortable". 215/40R18 is a very sport oriented size and it is also an odd one. There are honestly not that many good options out there due to how few cars use that size. I would honestly recommended waiting until you can save up for a set of 17's and putting 225/45/17 on them. That opens up your options substantially.

That said, if you really are set on sticking with the stock rims, the Goodyear Pilot Sport AS3 is your best bet. Just know that these are still ultra high performance tires and will not ride anywhere near as smooth as a set of grand touring passenger tires, which tire rack says there are none in the stock VT wheel size. Anything will be better than the garbage Kuhmos though. EDIT: Or the Conti's those are good too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Continental's Extreme contact DWS tires are on closeout sale right now on Tire Rack. $117.20 I have a set on my car and they're very quiet and sticky as hell. Couldn't tell you how the wear is from personal experience but the reviews say they're not bad. They're all-season tires though and 225's.

Continental ExtremeContact DWS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for all the input. I'm familiar with the Continentals DWS, had them on my Jaguar and i liked them, they were real pricey for that platform, the rear set of 275 35 18's. So 225's will fit without a problem on the stock wheels? Interesting....

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
thank you for all the input. I'm familiar with the Continentals DWS, had them on my Jaguar and i liked them, they were real pricey for that platform, the rear set of 275 35 18's. So 225's will fit without a problem on the stock wheels? Interesting....
They made 225/40/18 standard on the 2016's. Same size wheels.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My 2 cents have allways gone to the continental's i put the dws's on my 12 accent and 13 elantra gt. i put the control contact sport as from discount tire direct . i have always gotten great service from them . i went with 225 40 18 smoth quiet and what a great ride . i had kuhmo's on my 12 accent and on the vt . the name sounds like a wheezy sneeze fart in a large empty restroom. but really the continentals are a great tire at the least as good as anything else out there. especially for the price. i always get a great deal. the control contact's are similar in design to the dws but have a stiffer sidewall very handy for high speed turns and such.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, options options... wish there was a way i could try different tires one after the other, just like tire rack does it in their videos lol

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I went through two sets of Conti DW tires on my Genesis. You can't beat them for wet grip and for quietness on the road. They grip well in the dry, much better than the stock tires for sure. The shoulders on the Conti's aren't as stiff as the Mich PSS tires so they aren't as harsh on bumps and potholes.
I loved them and I've cruised through some heavy downpours and no hydroplaning.

Once I wear out these factory Solarus tires I'm getting the DW's. That will be a while though since the Solarus tires are 500 tread wear :dread:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts