Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so i've found this plug n' play chip thats basically universal for any car called the Race Chip GTS...? Have any of you installed this on your Veloster? If so is it worth it?

·
Super Moderator
3,856 Posts
strong pass

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Not a fan of sensor manipulators, meaning that all this does is change voltage readings of certain sensors in order to trick the ECM into adding more power.

While the RaceChip modules have been successful on a lot of EU platforms, we’ve seen a similar product do unkind things to this engine a few years ago.

If you have the resources to pay for an engine replacement should the warranty fail to cover, fine, but overall it’s too risky.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Highly recommend! Despite the fact I've yet to dyno, I love it. Search "RaceChip". I've had it maybe 2 months, and I love it. I too was sceptical. However, I did alot of research on the company and went with them. All I can say, I'm glad I did!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,668 Posts
Get on a dyno and let's see the stock power then let's see the race chip. Also let us know which one you have. It must not be but so good if you're wanting more power or your expectations are higher than they should be. I hope the unit does not cause damage to the car at some point.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hey everyone, so i've found this plug n' play chip thats basically universal for any car called the Race Chip GTS...? Have any of you installed this on your Veloster? If so is it worth it?
hows this going for you , not that im interested in utilizing just wanna see how things are

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm still hemming and hawing about getting a proper tune on my car. I can't even imagine throwing a confuser chip on it and not being scared to death of it going bang.

·
Super Moderator
3,856 Posts
There’s a guy on veloster.org who had one, the unit died after a few months.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster Turbo Ultimate/RaceChip GTS/HKS SSQV4
58 Posts
I am waiting for mine in the mail(RaceChip GTS Black). Here’s why I bought mine: Doesn’t void my warranty because I can easily uninstall in minutes and still receive service under warranty. Much easier than changing out ecu!

If you have any questions on how they work, contact them and they will explain it! The piggyback changes outside parameters so the car computer does not know anything is different or do anything different - it simply operates it’s controls with new lower and upper limits.

People who I know have bought them love them and everyone else is skeptic. Now I am not saying you will receive the gains they advertise but you will receive gains.
Those who have had them malfunction, usually do not leave it on the instructed setting for the full minimum of 25 miles before switching to a higher setting. And at the highest setting(7- “Race+”) they recommend using 93 octane or high quality 91 unless you have aftermarket intake/exhaust. I only run 93 so I plan to run this map most of the time!

I plan to dyno mine In the future to find out exact numbers!

·
Super Moderator
3,856 Posts
it's a middleman, like a piggyback. get a before and after if you can.

·
Registered
58 Posts
it's a middleman, like a piggyback. get a before and after if you can.
Yes it is a piggyback! Not an ecu with a tune. Tried to be clear in my explanation. Less installation and more economical. I paid a third the price of what LAP3 wants for their tune on a spare ecu.

I’m waiting on responses from some local shops with a dyno around me but I plan to do just exactly that! 3 runs with it off and 3 with it on. Sound about right?

·
Registered
308 Posts
The idea is really simple. It just tells your ecu that the map sensor isnt seeing the boost that it targets so more boost is created.
Their claimed output is at the crank and ideal conditions. You will should see similar results to what is claimed if in similar conditions.
I had one for a little while. Less than 2-5k miles (covid driving so way less than normal). I had mine set on level 1-3. I was really just looking for an easy way to crank up the boost a bit. It worked just fine. No malfunctions, no idle issues, no timing pulled. My issue was that there is no rpm reference for our motor. So theres no way to taper down the increase near redline or delay the increase if there are traction issues. At least not from the users end. I've heard that if you have the bluetooth version you can get updates but they are all blindly done.

Almost every issues I've heard about is "I cranked it up to race mode and it really bucks and shakes hard at high rpms, I'm going to keep doing that and see if it gets better."

My advice, start logging if you don't already, get a boost gauge, run premium gas, take baby steps. You're just increasing boost. Meaning, only boost. Timing and fuel are all just stock maps so that is going to hinder things. Do it one level at a time. If something doesn't look right then back it off and make sure you've resolved the issue before thinking about cranking it up any more.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
5,668 Posts
If doing tuning with cost as priority #1 things will not end well. If comparing a crap piggyback cost to the highest spare ecu tune cost on the market then it's not really a good comparison. Like comparing apples to peanuts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If doing tuning with cost as priority #1 things will not end well. If comparing a crap piggyback cost to the highest spare ecu tune cost on the market then it's not really a good comparison. Like comparing apples to peanuts.
I am not trying to tune. That’s why piggyback is going to be used. Also pretty sure we all bought one of these cheapest sports cars because we weren’t going to dump money into it and didn’t want to hurt our corvettes. Tune voids warranty where the piggyback doesnt. You get more with a tune but you lose warranty. I already made sure to mention all these points! I agreed they were not the same. Haha 5 years down the road I’m sure I’ll be willing to void warranty, mod, and get a tune.
Take it you have had experience with piggybacks if you’re saying they’re crap? Did not see any of your testimonies on the forums against them. Only see you recommending and selling tunes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am not trying to tune. That’s why piggyback is going to be used. Also I bought one of these cheapest sports cars because we weren’t going to dump money into it and didn’t want to hurt our corvettes. Tune voids warranty where the piggyback doesnt. You get more with a tune but you lose warranty. I already made sure to mention all these points! I agreed they were not the same. Haha 5 years down the road I’m sure I’ll be willing to void warranty, mod, and get a tune.
Take it you have had experience with piggybacks if you’re saying they’re crap? Did not see any of your testimonies on the forums against them. Only see you recommending and selling tunes.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts