Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll get this out there before I go on: I really love the look and functionality of this kit once it's installed, but there are far too many issues during installation for me to give a good review.

I've always had RockBlokz on my cars and the install on those were insanely easy. This was relatively easy, but the kit is poorly engineered and here's why:
The L shape mounting bracket used for the front flaps is supposed to go between the fender liner and the edge of the side skirt. This is reckless engineering and a good way for people to crack their plastic side skirt. The tolerance for the OEM mating components is simply too small to fit a thick metal bracket between them and pretend it's all good. With the bracket installed, it creates a gap on the side of the skirt due to the bend of the skirt, and is putting a ton of stress on the molded plastic in a vulnerable seam line. I chose not to install in this method and placed the bracket over the front of the side skirt lip instead.
You also have to curve the bracket to fit the fender liner and although it's not mentioned in the written instructions, you also have twist the L bracket a bit so that the lateral extension is pressed up against the liner and doesn't interfere with anything or knock around.

The rear mud flap installations are better, but the included hardware is the wrong pitch and the foam spacer coupled with the thick spacer and washer creates a thickness far too great for the provided hardware to feel confident in the screw engagement. I opted to not use the hard spacer or washer and went with OEM hardware after trying multiple configurations and settling on this.

Overall, the install is cumbersome and feels extremely DIY / homemade. With only 200 miles on the car, I already had a pretty good scratch on the rear from rock fling, so protection is the first thing I care about, looks are secondary. I'm keeping these installed but am really hoping that a better solution is created down the line.

Sorry for the lack of photos, I didn't think I'd even be writing a review of these until after I was done and sat on the process for a bit. I'll try to take some and update this post if people are interested.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
nice review... please be sure to share that with rally armour if you can.

i have a feeling that 75% of their stuff is the same with the exception of the brackets and hole locations anyways :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Crowley666,

Thank you for reaching out. From your description, the front mounting bracket has not been installed correctly.
Placing the bracket over the side skirt would create a an installation scenario you are describing as it is not flush against the wheel well liner.

To install correctly, we would recommend removing the flap, and placing the bracket behind the side skirt as per the mounting instructions.
This would negate the need to bend or twist the bracket in the manner you are describing.
This step shown in figure "D" of the installation instructions included with your set.

We would recommend reaching out to us directly for more immediate technical assistance in troubleshooting as while we try to keep a pulse on most threads related to our products, there are a few occasions when important questions arise that require our attention, and we would like to address the issue sooner than later.

Thanks very much,
Team R/A

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to update this, I've been emailing back and forth with Rally Armor and after a few emails, they wrote this in here. They aren't providing any real feedback as to the side skirts being stressed with their procedure of installation except, "no it doesn't" and they have no explanation for the gap between the side skirts and body when installed according to them.

In unrelated news, I've been in contact with RokBlokz and they are picking up a Veloster today and will be designing a kit for the 2019+ models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Crowley666

The bracket slides between the side skirt and liner. in this manner (image attached)

Per our earlier response to you, via the support desk (and above) installing the application over the side skirt in this manner would not allow you to mount correctly. We would advise removing the mud flap and repositioning the bracket as per the installation instructions found with your set (high resolution PDF found here)

d_veloster.jpg

Thanks very much
Team R/A

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow....how stupid do you guys think I am...this is like having two different conversations with a brick wall (one here, and one through email). I've sent you a photo laying out why this isn't possible and even gave you guys an out, thinking perhaps the 2020 model year liner has changed, or you didn't do your homework on the R-Spec.
And it is entirely possible as it's not blocking any mounting holes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since you guys have stopped responding to my emails after I sent this photo, and have been posting here exclusively, I'll post it here too.

Moving the silver L bracket between the side skirt and liner 100% stresses the skirt and forces it to bend away from the body panel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
wow....how stupid do you guys think I am...this is like having two different conversations with a brick wall (one here, and one through email).
Hi Crowley666,

Earlier today we received your ticket request - specifically directing us to this post. We reviewed the information provided, and mentioned that you have installed the bracket incorrectly. We also mentioned it would resolve by reviewing the procedure noted in the installation instructions. Again we clarified that it is mounted underneath (not above) correctly- both in our post and email response to you.

Corresponding directly with us in a non-confrontational way would help, but you seem more interested in playing this out publicly than working towards a compromise within reason.

Thank much,
Team R/A

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Crowley666,

Earlier today we received your ticket request - specifically directing us to this post. We reviewed the information provided, and mentioned that you have installed the bracket incorrectly. We also mentioned it would resolve by reviewing the procedure noted in the installation instructions. Again we clarified that it is mounted underneath (not above) correctly- both in our post and email response to you.

Corresponding directly with us in a non-confrontational way would help, but you seem more interested in playing this out publicly than working towards a compromise within reason.

Thank much,
Team R/A
I'M PLAYING THIS OUT PUBLICALLY??? ME!?
You guys stopped responding to me through emails and moved the discussion to this thread. You still haven't responded to my recent emails after you started posting in here.
And again, you guys just keep stating your instructions and refuse to acknowledge the issue I'm even addressing. You also haven't even mentioned that your hardware is the wrong pitch for the rear lol.
The photo I provided you (first sent in email, then posted in here) shows how I installed it. You can clearly see that doubling the material between the skirt lip and the body panel would bend the skirt outward away from the body and stress it.

I'll be posting photos tonight showing you exactly what I'm talking about so everyone can see how trash your kit is because you are determined to play this out publically and not respond to my emails any more.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
This is why I run the OEM mudflaps :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

This is after taking every possible step to close the gap, but there's clearly a gap between the body panel and the side skirt with the L-bracket properly installed. How is this an acceptable solution? Why not mount the bracket over the side skirt cover, as pictured above in the earlier post?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just threw the brackets out. Used the factory screws/washers to secure the mudflaps, and Gorilla double sided mounting tape for the upper and inside portions. 100 times easier than trying to bend that bracket perfectly, and gets rid of that little bit of silver you can see through the gap behind the flap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just threw the brackets out. Used the factory screws/washers to secure the mudflaps, and Gorilla double sided mounting tape for the upper and inside portions. 100 times easier than trying to bend that bracket perfectly, and gets rid of that little bit of silver you can see through the gap behind the flap.
I like your thinking. It’s good to know I’m not the only person that thinks the bracket method is trash.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
it's obvious the bracket should follow the skirt and skip going under it making it all flush but whatever.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts