Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I knew what I was doing. After about 3 months of emptying a water/gasoline/motor oil slurry weekly, it's gotten really old. I've got the breather side of the PCV vented to air with a filter on catch can #1. Catch can # 2 has the hose from the PCV valve going into the "in" port, and the "out" port connects to the intake manifold. I've connected the stock hose from the intake manifold to the longer line. Both cans are located on the bumper and use about 3' of hose to get there.

I guess what I'm asking is this:
1. Are the connections correct?
2. Is mounting the catch cans low behind the bumper a dumb idea?
3. Where on earth is 400ml of water coming from every week??
4. Is there a better way?

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Gas Automotive super charger part Auto part

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,080 Posts
great post, lol

so, the cans should ultimately be low to aid in blowby staying low and not working its way back to the engine.

that being said, my last OCC empty was 3/4 water and not 1/4 water like normal. i'm only using your #2 setup (it's the same) but a much much larger can. mine holds like 3+ cups. it's off the strut bar on the left.

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,256 Posts
I thought I knew what I was doing. After about 3 months of emptying a water/gasoline/motor oil slurry weekly, it's gotten really old. I've got the breather side of the PCV vented to air with a filter on catch can #1. Catch can # 2 has the hose from the PCV valve going into the "in" port, and the "out" port connects to the intake manifold. I've connected the stock hose from the intake manifold to the longer line. Both cans are located on the bumper and use about 3' of hose to get there.

I guess what I'm asking is this:
1. Are the connections correct?
2. Is mounting the catch cans low behind the bumper a dumb idea?
3. Where on earth is 400ml of water coming from every week??
4. Is there a better way?

View attachment 107595

View attachment 107596

View attachment 107597

View attachment 107598
1.) Yes
2.) No
3.) Mostly the air
4.) Yes

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be interested in a better solution. I've been trying to figure out a way to drain condensation out of the lines without just leaving the hose dangling somewhere. Maybe a one way valve? What suggestions do you have?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been very happy with my VTA setup. The hoses exit just behind the downpipe and the only time it stink is when I reverse into my driveway. I was worried about a oil stain when parking the car but have not seen anything yet. It probably only vents when driving.

Also with VTA you can remove the pcv valve. Helps everything breath a little better

·
Administrator
6,256 Posts
I'd be interested in a better solution. I've been trying to figure out a way to drain condensation out of the lines without just leaving the hose dangling somewhere. Maybe a one way valve? What suggestions do you have?
No dips in lines

Much larger can volume

Both lines to atmosphere vented cans not just breather side. This will require plugging the line to the IM and using a fitting without a PCV in it. Drill it out on the cheap. This makes it a dual breather setup. Much better than any air that is drawn back through the engine.

Quick drain valve like some use on oil pans work well to drain the cans quickly and easily.

Reactions: L3g10n

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Alright, first one is taken care of. It's now a constant slope downwards into the catch cans. Took about 6" of hose out

Second one will take more time

Third: could I just plug the PCV hole and have a vented oil cap?

Fourth: You mean like tapping the bottom of the can and drilling one in?

·
Administrator
6,256 Posts
Vented oil cap will get messy in most cases.

Welding a bung in and screw in a fumoto type valve that you can attach a hose to for a quick clean drain process.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,080 Posts
this is mine... i just remove the single 10mm bolt and turn it over into a cup.

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts