Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

Have a 2013 VT, has this rattle that happens at 2500ish rpms, disappears when it revs past this rpm, rattle will stay if revs are held at 2500rpm, happens when in neutral and drive. The rattle itself is like a metal on metal noise, like shaking coins or keys in wallet, rattles the same amount every time also, hasn't gotten worse since i first noticed it. Is coming from the area around the hpfp.

Has anyone here experienced this rattle ? Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys

·
Administrator
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
6,256 Posts
Sounds like a heat shield but you may have to use multiple people to pinpoint the source.

Reactions: Incognito

·
Registered
2014 Veloster Turbo Automatic
204 Posts
Did you previously upgrade the fuel line?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a heat shield but you may have to use multiple people to pinpoint the source.
Yeah, are the exhaust manifold heat shields known to rattle on these cars ? Was thinking the hpfp was making the noise but the car doesn't seem to have any drop in performance/fuel efficiency, and also not sure what sound a bad hpfp would make

·
Registered
204 Posts
They don't usually unless they're loose. could you get a video of the sound?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have bought a new hpfp, hopefully arrives
before the weekend so i can install it.

Had my mechanic listen around and he even put his hand on the pump and said the vibrations seem to change slightly when it makes the noise briefly, said It could be something maybe worn out in the hpfp, I checked my cam follower and there is no play and it looks like new still.

Will post here again if the new pump makes the noise go away

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,080 Posts
as far as i know it is very rare for the HPFP to fail.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Be wary that that simply by uninstalling the old pump and installing the new one whatever was rattling may get shifted to where it doesn't happen anymore. Then again, I still haven't heard the rattle you speak of, so that may fix it after all. Best of luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay so installed new pump, no worries there, but this did not stop the rattle, I did notice it was louder at the bottom end of the car so I've got a video now with the rattle, here is the link to the video:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Fuel line is vibrating against one of the metal holders towards the firewall more than likely. I had that sound after I removed my valve cover, but it went away when I shook the low pressure fuel line a bit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fuel line is vibrating against one of the metal holders towards the firewall more than likely. I had that sound after I removed my valve cover, but it went away when I shook the low pressure fuel line a bit
I will have to give this a go when I can, hopefully thats all it is, is starting to drive me nuts lol. Are these metal holders easier to see/move around from the top or bottom of the car ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, they can be accessed with some difficulty with the intake in, or very easily with it out. Removing the battery will give you easy and complete access

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, they can be accessed with some difficulty with the intake in, or very easily with it out. Removing the battery will give you easy and complete access
So I haven't gotten quite to the firewall but I did give the lines a good wiggle around, the rattle seemed to go away but has come back again.

Looking further down the fuel lines, there Is a metal cover where the firewall bends to the underside of the car, might take that off and have a look to see if anything is loose

·
Super Moderator
4,080 Posts
when i did custom brake lines on my kia, i put a few pieces of copper pipe foam between them and the firewall at this exact bend. you could probably get away with a small piece and a zip tie, lol.

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Engineering Suspension

·
Super Moderator
4,080 Posts
lol metal covers, not from the start. this was a true hardcore economy vehicle. am/fm radio. roll up windows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I got under the car and moved the fuel lines around and the clips holding them in place to the firewall, but still no change to the sound, I got another video of it rattling under the transmission, thought it may be coming from the tranny, but happens in all gears, park and neutral, the noise also hasn't really changed at and car still performs the same. I've checked heat shields etc. The noise happens at the same rpms 2500-600 every time and seems to not really change unless I rev it up to 2500 rpms quicker and it rattles quicker but still disappears past 2600ish

Is that big heat shield over the exhaust resonator known to rattle at all ?

·
Super Moderator
4,080 Posts
yes those heat shields certainly could rattle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts