Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm not sure how big of readers you all are, but I figured kind of like movies or TV shows, we could share good books. Before I got my IT job, my previous job was literally spent reading 80% of the time lol, so I went through 1-2 books a week.

First off, the Jack Reacher series of books, are great books if you are into investigative, as kicking stories, with some suspense, and somehow thinking the character may die, when he couldn't possibly lol.
There is something like 14 books I think? and they go in no real order, and somehow the author makes it work, it is awesome, because I would finish one, and just instantly go to another.
I refuse to watch the movie, 1 because I don't like tom cruse, and two, he was a terrible casting for Jack reacher, who in the books is described as being like 6' 5" and like 250lbs.

Another series I started is the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. I am very much into sci fi, fantasy, and anything nerdy lol, so a book about a legendary assassin augmented by magic set in a pseudo dark ages period, is right up my alley. The three books are called, The Way of Shadows, Shadows Edge, and Beyond the Shadows. I am in the middle of the second book now, but finding, to much dismay, that I don't have much time to read anymore, so I may get the audio book version, because the sample I listened to sounded like listening to a movie. The author came out with a small e-book only precursor story to the trilogy that I would like to pick up as well. These are long books btw, close to 700 pages in paperback. Reading these really makes me wish it was an HBO series like game of thrones, though I have never seen it. lol

I could give some better review, but I wouldn't want to spoil anything.

I have heard the game of thrones books are great, and would like to get to reading them sometime.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Interesting off-topic. I read quite a bit and outside of IT tech books/papers, i lean towards military and science fiction. Re-read the "Through the Looking Glass" series by John Ringo with Travis Taylor recently since it covers military, science fiction and actually has a bit of physics in it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Cinderblock, based on you likes, check out the Dresden Files series, by Jim Butcher. Set in the modern days about a wizard who acts as a supernatural watch dog. Solves cases, kicks butt, smart ars and always gets himself deeper and deeper in the crapper by doing the right thing. Lots of fun.

The Passage by Justin Cronin is another that I would recommend. It starts off slow, but is worth the wait. I haven't had a chance to read the sequel to that, The Twelve but I hear good things.

On the Mil Spec side, American Sniper by Chris Kyle (RIP) and A Time to Hunt by Stephen Hunter are great books. Stephen Hunter has a whole series to go with A Time to Hunt, but I only got around to reading that book. The Shooter with Mark Walberg is loosely based on this book.

If you are a Halo fan, that series is also fun to read.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have heard of the Dresden Files, but, hadn't looked into it yet. I have wanted to read American Sniper, just been too lazy to order it because B&N never has it round here.
I have read the fall of reach, and started reading another halo book that is part of a trilogy I think, but I didn't like it as much. I read the Dead Space, and Bioshock books, those were both very interesting.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I read alot. Mostly military and history stuff. Latest was The Gun which was about the history and use of the AK47 and The Outpost about a tiny US base that was over run by Taliban in Afganistan.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I read a ton. Mostly YA Dystopian or Sci Fi. Like Hunger Games, Insurgent, Partials, etc. The stories are good and the characters I can visualize.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
I am a avid reader as well. Love Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Military Fiction. Thought it was funny how many of the books and series that came up I had read.
I loved the "Council War" series by John Ringo. And most of his others as well, but for some reason the "Looking Glass" series I just couldn't get into.
Brent Weeks "Night Angel" series was fantastic as well.
For recommendations I cannot recommend the Space Marine ark by Ian Douglas to much. A series of three trilogy's starting with "Semper Mars" of the "Heritage" trilogy. The arc covers one family and their involvement with the Marine corps from a near future to a many hundreds of years from now. Hardcore Science Sci-Fi, and a large amount or Ooh-rah. But worth the ride.
On a Cyberpunk vein the "Takeshi Kovacs" trilogy by Richard K Morgan is also a fun one. Again, little thick on the actual science/tech stuff but a good series. Bit more detective novel/Raymond Chandler however. At least the first one was.
I'm about to keep vomiting out books I love so...
That leads me to books l love to hate.
George RR Martin. So much hate and love "A Song of Fire and Ice". So good and so bad at the same time. He just gets so over done with the details and the characters and the... Well yeah.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That leads me to books l love to hate.
George RR Martin. So much hate and love "A Song of Fire and Ice". So good and so bad at the same time. He just gets so over done with the details and the characters and the... Well yeah.
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova was like that for me. Such a great topic and base story but completely lost in the details.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I know I'm super late to the party but I just got done reading The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Have to say I really enjoyed it and it was a surprisingly quick read. Now I have to go watch the movie.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I enjoy a good book every once in a while. I prefer historical fiction or millitary fiction / mysteries. For the historical fiction there is a great series by Jack Whyte called the Arthurian Cycle. This series is about the fall of the roman empire in Britian and the rise of the British reign (aka king arthur). The Arthurian Cycle (Nine novels) | jackwhyte.com

For the millitary-fiction ones read the books by Chris Kuzneski very very good stories with lots of action Chris Kuzneski - Home

Then of course I also love Star Wars books with the best author Timmothy Zahn (they should do movies based on his books they are sooooo good)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just read Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison. Started off a little slow but for some reason couldn't stop reading. Good story but a long book. There are a lot more in the series and will start the 2nd book after I read The Host.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I know I'm super late to the party but I just got done reading The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Have to say I really enjoyed it and it was a surprisingly quick read. Now I have to go watch the movie.
New Dan Brown came out yesterday "Inferno". Girlfriend is reading, I'll let u guys know if it is good :crazy:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Brad Thor
Daniel Silva
David Balducci
Robert B. Parker
Piers Anthony

Those are a few of my favorite authors.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts