Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the rear torsion bar act the same way a read swaybar would ?

Shark Racing

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not only do these bars eliminate body roll like a sway bar would. They help stiffen up the rear, keep the rear tires planted when hard cornering, and help to reduce under steer.

·
Registered
618 Posts
So if I got this would I still need he trunk mounted rear sway bar?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I realize that these are different parts but does this torsion bar reduce or eliminate the need for the rear sway bar?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
This might be because suspension on the Australian model is different to the US model but I don't think the Veloster needs extra rear roll-stiffness. Stock it is neutral to oversteer and would only understeer if you drove it badly (accelerating too hard off-line in a tight curve). But if you drive it the way cars are supposed to be driven (brake straight, turn-in late, clip the apex and power through) then it's very well setup. The only time my turbo has felt unstuck it has been the rear end sliding, which is the way I like it. Any more rear roll-stiffness would make the inbuilt oversteer too prominent.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This might be because suspension on the Australian model is different to the US model but I don't think the Veloster needs extra rear roll-stiffness. Stock it is neutral to oversteer and would only understeer if you drove it badly (accelerating too hard off-line in a tight curve). But if you drive it the way cars are supposed to be driven (brake straight, turn-in late, clip the apex and power through) then it's very well setup. The only time my turbo has felt unstuck it has been the rear end sliding, which is the way I like it. Any more rear roll-stiffness would make the inbuilt oversteer too prominent.
Wow. I don't know what to say. Guess you are just lucky to get that version. :saint:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I attacked a corner today and it was quite sideways on dry, grippy bitumen (previously I have only had it sideways in the wet). I think the tyres (Hankook Ventus Prime 2) are a bit ordinary, but at least the front grips okay. ESP is not overly intrusive.

·
Registered
79 Posts
From another Aussie, I agree with cbrmale. Our version has good balance and sufficient stiffness in the rear. Just the way I my cars AND women.

·
Registered
82 Posts
^^^
Lol AJ

Btw there will be a fellow Canberran driving around with an SR next week ... will prob cross paths on Kitchener St cbr, saw you this morning waiting at the lights at the intersection with Yamba :)

Btw fellas how long did it take from delivery to the dealer until pickup ??

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I like my women to have good balance and sufficient rear-end stiffness too (there's a tale there). It's clear the Hankook tyres don't have the grip of the Continentals I had on my Astra, but the Continental Sports Contact are very expensive although reasonably durable. The Ventus Prime 2 is only a general purpose touring tyre and you cannot compare it with a high performance tyre like a Continental Sports. So car well-balanced but less spirited driving is required on account of the tyres.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Btw fellas how long did it take from delivery to the dealer until pickup ??
No reason the pre-delivery checks and detailing should take more than 24 hours after the car arrives on lot. This can all be done while rego is being processed.

If you are getting window tint add 24 hours (and not be able to wind your windows down for 72.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts