Veloster Turbo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you feed your VT regular or premium gas?

My 1st tank was filled by the dealer, most likely regular. Next two fill up I used Ultra 94 and then switched back to regular again. Frankly I can't really notice a difference.

I thought the car might advance timing with high octane gas and yield better performance. But either it doesn't do that or the difference is not all that significant.

What's your opinion on this? What do you use for your VT?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did the same just out of curiousity and couldn't tell a difference either.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do you feed your VT regular or premium gas?

My 1st tank was filled by the dealer, most likely regular. Next two fill up I used Ultra 94 and then switched back to regular again. Frankly I can't really notice a difference.

I thought the car might advance timing with high octane gas and yield better performance. But either it doesn't do that or the difference is not all that significant.

What's your opinion on this? What do you use for your VT?

VT drinks 87 oct. but you can put 90+ in and it wolnt hurt. MORE POWERRRR! lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
First tank was with the dealer, last two have been 93. Later today I am going to try 90 octane ethanol-free fuel to see what that does, lol.

·
Registered
730 Posts
First tank was with the dealer, last two have been 93. Later today I am going to try 90 octane ethanol-free fuel to see what that does, lol.
I also didn't like the initial MPGs on this car. Now after 1200 miles, it is a lot better. I have been able to get 28 TO 32 in city, AS LONG AS I don't stop every two blocks because of lights, stops, or traffic. Also, on the highway it does 36 to 42 (the 42 is usually coasting to the exit). I found out that for the type of driving I do to commute to work and run my errands, the car does better MPGs with the ECO off. So, City = ECO off, Highway = ECO on.

Speaking about non-ethanol fuel. I looked up a gas station here in Miami that sells it. My jaw fell to the floor when I saw the price. It was 4.65!!!! Wow. I don't know, but it looks like price gouging to me. What price do you get it in Tampa?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I also didn't like the initial MPGs on this car. Now after 1200 miles, it is a lot better. I have been able to get 28 TO 32 in city, AS LONG AS I don't stop every two blocks because of lights, stops, or traffic. Also, on the highway it does 36 to 42 (the 42 is usually coasting to the exit). I found out that for the type of driving I do to commute to work and run my errands, the car does better MPGs with the ECO off. So, City = ECO off, Highway = ECO on.

Speaking about non-ethanol fuel. I looked up a gas station here in Miami that sells it. My jaw fell to the floor when I saw the price. It was 4.65!!!! Wow. I don't know, but it looks like price gouging to me. What price do you get it in Tampa?
I'll post up when I go after work today. I think I heared on the news that gas stations in south Florida were gouging because of Isaac. How long ago did you see the price?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'll post up when I go after work today. I think I heared on the news that gas stations in south Florida were gouging because of Isaac. How long ago did you see the price?
It was about a week before Isaac. So I don't think it was due to the storm. There are other stations around that I will check and see how much they are asking. That day I went back into the station and asked the guy if the price was right, and he looked at me and said yes! I laughed and told him "No way". He said "Oh well". That day I filled up the tank with 10.6 gallons. That would have been almost 10 dollars more to fill up the tank. Any savings for using full gas are gone with such prices.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There is a really cool droid app called "gas buddy" it's free and has user updates to gas stations you can check local to you and set favorite stations

·
Registered
730 Posts
There is a really cool droid app called "gas buddy" it's free and has user updates to gas stations you can check local to you and set favorite stations
Don't have a droid phone. Mine is an oldie, touch screen, but it doesn't even allow me to download the contacts to the car, lol!!!! Does it have a version for iPod?

·
Registered
730 Posts
They sure do have it at Itunes Store. Downloading as I'm writing this! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Personally I use premium simply because it's ethanol free here from Shell. I would like to see a before and after dyno with reg vs prem. The Genesis Coupes all make a few more ponies on premium. Hyundai doesn't advertise this information for the VT, but it's still possible.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thank you guys for hijacking the thread.
Apologies MV VT. It wasn't my intention. The issue came about from what 1.6 T-GDI posted: "First tank was with the dealer, last two have been 93. Later today I am going to try 90 octane ethanol-free fuel to see what that does, lol." I should have PMed Noeskape about Gasbuddy.

But fyi, I have tried 5 different gas, all regular grade 89 with ethanol. They all do the same MPGs. I have not gone up on octane since the manual states this car is made to run on regular. The full gas (non-ethanol added) is way to expensive to give it a try.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The ethanol free gas here is 4.29 cash/4.39 credit. I filled it up and holy crap I just drove a couple miles with it but the difference was clear according to my butt dyno.

Acceleration felt quicker and the engine sounded slightly meaner. I reset my mpg average so we'll see how that goes. I was about 25.8 before the fill up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apologies MV VT. It wasn't my intention. The issue came about from what 1.6 T-GDI posted: "First tank was with the dealer, last two have been 93. Later today I am going to try 90 octane ethanol-free fuel to see what that does, lol." I should have PMed Noeskape about Gasbuddy.

But fyi, I have tried 5 different gas, all regular grade 89 with ethanol. They all do the same MPGs. I have not gone up on octane since the manual states this car is made to run on regular. The full gas (non-ethanol added) is way to expensive to give it a try.
No worries, I was being semi-sarcastic.

Like I said, I tired two tanks of Ultra 94, the highest octane gas available where I live. Couldn't tell a difference. Mind you that my car was breaking in still. The '13 Gen Coupe 2.0T makes about 5% more power with premium fuel. So, even the stock Veloster Turbo ecu can take advantage of the higher octane, we are probably look at a 10hp difference? I certainly didn't feel it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The ethanol free gas here is 4.29 cash/4.39 credit. I filled it up and holy crap I just drove a couple miles with it but the difference was clear according to my butt dyno.

Acceleration felt quicker and the engine sounded slightly meaner. I reset my mpg average so we'll see how that goes. I was about 25.8 before the fill up.
Ah didn't realized you had posted already. Wow still expensive, but more power, cool. Lets see how the MPGs turn out at the end of this tank.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts