Veloster Turbo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I know the answers. I was just wondering if anyone else did. You guys are both correct. But, claiming that premium is a waste and does nothing is naive. The key point is that we dont know what the VTs ECU is capable of doing. Pulling boost and adding boost depending on certain conditions like higher octane or low fuel, low or high operating temperatures. Even if its only a very small gain, its still a gain (or loss lol). A turbo engine is much more capable of taking advantage of the higher octane then an N/A expeciialy if the its ECU is capable of making the changes.

A reflashed ECU actually tuned to run on 91 could probable see an easy 20rwhp gain.

Now is someone would just volunteer their car to SFR, we might get somewhere. One of you guys has got to live in PA.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know the answers. I was just wondering if anyone else did. You guys are both correct. But, claiming that premium is a waste and does nothing is naive. The key point is that we dont know what the VTs ECU is capable of doing. Pulling boost and adding boost depending on certain conditions like higher octane or low fuel, low or high operating temperatures. Even if its only a very small gain, its still a gain (or loss lol). A turbo engine is much more capable of taking advantage of the higher octane then an N/A expeciialy if the its ECU is capable of making the changes.

A reflashed ECU actually tuned to run on 91 could probable see an easy 20rwhp gain.

Now is someone would just volunteer their car to SFR, we might get somewhere. One of you guys has got to live in PA.

Atlanta area here >.<
Makes me wonder if the ECU is encrypted like the 3.8 coupe is. Has anyone even tried to do any logging yet? I'm sure there is some ODB tool that can read a little something. I really wish my old VW Tuner company would expand beyond VW products. I have no doubts that Garrett would really wake this thing up.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
The ECU on the new 2.0 and 3.8 have been cracked already. No open source so to speak, but both have been improved. SFR has a tune for both.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its designed for regular so without tuning running premium is a waste. I'm going to try + 89 octane when i get mine on saturday.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Read what i wrote champ..... WASTE OF MONEY to BUY PREMIUM FOR A CAR NOT TUNED FOR PREMIUM.......

·
Registered
44 Posts
So why don't we all stop encouraging less experienced car/performance minded individuals to waste their money on premium on a car not made for premium.......

·
Registered
44 Posts
"1) If your car does not require premium gas, there are no added benefits to your car’s performance or longevity. Simply put, you’re paying good money for something you don’t need. Premium costs 15-30 cents more a gallon than regular. In a consumer notice, the Federal Trade Commission, notes: “In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.” Enough said."

·
Registered
63 Posts
"1) If your car does not require premium gas, there are no added benefits to your car’s performance or longevity. Simply put, you’re paying good money for something you don’t need. Premium costs 15-30 cents more a gallon than regular. In a consumer notice, the Federal Trade Commission, notes: “In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.” Enough said."
We tried telling him com. If he wants to waste 3 dollars on a tank full let him.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Wow, I never expected this thread to have so much post and heat. Let me just say that I didn't try two tanks of Ultra 94 for absolutely no reason.

To begin with, Hyundai does have the know how to get more performance out of their turbo motor with premium fuel. So, it is not unreasonable to suspect that the Veloster Turbo ECU has programming that takes advantage higher octane.

All I can say is that from experience, my car runs very good with regular. In Canada where a tank of premium gas can cost $7 more than regular, it adds up quickly.

Instead of arguing over this, the best way really is to test this out on a dyno. I hope someone tries this out eventually.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow, I never expected this thread to have so much post and heat. Let me just say that I didn't try two tanks of Ultra 94 for absolutely no reason.

To begin with, Hyundai does have the know how to get more performance out of their turbo motor with premium fuel. So, it is not unreasonable to suspect that the Veloster Turbo ECU has programming that takes advantage higher octane.

All I can say is that from experience, my car runs very good with regular. In Canada where a tank of premium gas can cost $7 more than regular, it adds up quickly.

Instead of arguing over this, the best way really is to test this out on a dyno. I hope someone tries this out eventually.
Exactly. Until someone posts dyno numbers showing 91 has a positive effect anyone who says it performs better is nuts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree bro. Just pisses me off that there are alot of newbies to performance on this forum and some might actually believe this dude and WASTE MONEY!!..... OK ALL If you don't believe me google, there are countless resources on this from numerous auto sources....

Exactly. Until someone posts dyno numbers showing 91 has a positive effect anyone who says it performs better is nuts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Maybe it was a little premature for me to say that I cannot notice a difference. This morning I gave it a go a few times and the car felt slow, especially in first and second gear.

I will definitely give Ultra 94 another try.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree bro. Just pisses me off that there are alot of newbies to performance on this forum and some might actually believe this dude and WASTE MONEY!!..... OK ALL If you don't believe me google, there are countless resources on this from numerous auto sources....
You have to let people make their own mistakes bro. Yeah it makes sense to us but to these new guys they're brainwashed by friends who have no idea what there talking about.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts