Veloster Turbo Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
got turbo 4 wks ago surging and jerking problems started on 3rd day I had dealership thought bad gas from corp. They drained tank and told to run Shell v-power 93 octain have done so but problem has got worse including black smoke pouring out exhaust tips , now they have replaced plugs w/ only 650 miles on them w/ severe carbon build up and bad spark knock and the whole time no engine codes going off , drained tank again and had me put 87 oct. back in and they installed a flight data recorder in the car so every time it surges and bucks I push a button to record last 10 min. of engine functions. I think they

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Mine had some stammering during the first 600 miles but only when I hammered the throttle. Now that I'm past 600 miles it has gone away completely. I assumed it was enforcing the break in period.

It still seems a little conservative but I'm hoping that like others have reported it will open up after 1,200 miles. I also assume that is controlled by the ECU.

One theory could be that the ECU was limiting the ignition and valve timing and that caused the fouling.

It is really weird to experience spark knock with this engine without it throwing codes. Any spark knock should throw it in to limp mode.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I beg to differ vtlover67 about what you said, (it is not worth paying more for full gas (non-ethanol), or even getting a higher grade of E10 gas, when there is really not much to gain), I can tell by the computer on the car that I get a higher mpg reading from full gas(non-ethanol) than I do with the e-gas. Last week filled up I was getting 33.6mpg on driving the car hard and when I drove like a grandma 60-65mph I got 35.4-36mpg. I filled up this Past Sunday with e-gas, when I was driving hard getting maybe 28-29 driving grandma style 60-65 with cruise it read 31.6. So I do believe full gas helps the vt in mpg range. Plus how you drive. I also check at speed of 70 with cruise on I was still getting like 34mpg with full gas. But I do swap full gas for e-gas when I'm not close to a station that sells full gas when I need gas

·
Registered
730 Posts
I beg to differ vtlover67 about what you said, (it is not worth paying more for full gas (non-ethanol), or even getting a higher grade of E10 gas, when there is really not much to gain), I can tell by the computer on the car that I get a higher mpg reading from full gas(non-ethanol) than I do with the e-gas. Last week filled up I was getting 33.6mpg on driving the car hard and when I drove like a grandma 60-65mph I got 35.4-36mpg. I filled up this Past Sunday with e-gas, when I was driving hard getting maybe 28-29 driving grandma style 60-65 with cruise it read 31.6. So I do believe full gas helps the vt in mpg range. Plus how you drive. I also check at speed of 70 with cruise on I was still getting like 34mpg with full gas. But I do swap full gas for e-gas when I'm not close to a station that sells full gas when I need gas
Granted, the full gas does get better mileage. But it is worth the extra cost. For me here in Miami, the difference in price is almost a dollar more. The extra miles I may get out of full gas doesn't merit paying more for the gas. When I drive on highways I get great mileage, usually above 34 MPGs, sometimes over 40 shows on the ECO screen. But I am usually on city streets and very, very short commutes; I live 2.5 miles from work. Also, my Perla is A/T. What is the difference in price for you guys in AL to go to full gas?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You think that gas is expensive in the U.S.? Let me give you Canadian prices, today in Toronto:
Regular: 87 octane, up to 10% ethanol 1.219 per litre (5.53 per imperial gallon @ 4.54 litres per gallon) Petro Canada
Premium: 91 octane, no ethanol 1.409 per litre (6.40 per imperial gallon " " " ) Shell
My wife's car uses regular, thankfully. Mine takes premium. It kills me to fill up. Today, for 3/4 of a tank
of premium, 44.8 litres (9.9 imperial gallons) cost me 63.12 . Tell me that this is not a crime!

·
Registered
119 Posts
So... the VT can take premium (full gas/91+) and it won't harm the car?

·
Registered
730 Posts
You think that gas is expensive in the U.S.? Let me give you Canadian prices, today in Toronto:
Regular: 87 octane, up to 10% ethanol 1.219 per litre (5.53 per imperial gallon @ 4.54 litres per gallon) Petro Canada
Premium: 91 octane, no ethanol 1.409 per litre (6.40 per imperial gallon " " " ) Shell
My wife's car uses regular, thankfully. Mine takes premium. It kills me to fill up. Today, for 3/4 of a tank
of premium, 44.8 litres (9.9 imperial gallons) cost me 63.12 . Tell me that this is not a crime!
I am very aware of much higher gas prices in other countries, especially in European countries. I don't know how you guys do it, but I guess it is a necessary "evil"....but since I am not in Canada or Europe, I only compare the local prices. And at almost a dollar more for full gas, I am more than happy to use regular everyday gas.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't think my car is getting good mileage. I got my car with 25 miles on it on Sunday evening. Tuesday night I had to get gas again cause it said I had 36 miles left before empty. I'm almost at 200 miles at the moment.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I don't think my car is getting good mileage. I got my car with 25 miles on it on Sunday evening. Tuesday night I had to get gas again cause it said I had 36 miles left before empty. I'm almost at 200 miles at the moment.
how much gas did it have in it when you got it .... how hard have you been driving it ? and it's gonna get worse MPG when you first get it

·
Registered
55 Posts
how much gas did it have in it when you got it .... how hard have you been driving it ? and it's gonna get worse MPG when you first get it
I think the dealer gave it to me almost full. The fastest I've gone on it is about 70 on the highway. In the streets the fastest I go is about 50.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've only got about 1,000 miles on mine and used 93 octane on the last 2 fill ups. So far I can't tell a difference in power or mileage.

I floor it fairly often but haven't gone above 6,000 rpm yet. I've broken 100 mph a few times and my morning commute has me doing 80-85 mph.

I am getting about 26-28 mpg in mixed driving and have already gotten 40+ mpg on a 50 mile road trip where I just did 65-70 mph. That blows away my old 140 hp Suzuki that got 20 mpg in mixed driving and 30-32 mpg on the highway.

I'm quite satisfied with the mileage so far.

·
Super Moderator
3,439 Posts
No you should always use the best gas you can get.

·
Registered
2015 auto VT, 2013 manual VT × 2
4,449 Posts
Always use high octane fuel. Going from low to high octane has lower chance of engine damage. Than going from high to low.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts