Veloster Turbo Forum banner

Regular vs Premium Gas

57K views 96 replies 30 participants last post by  trdtoy 
#1 ·
Do you feed your VT regular or premium gas?

My 1st tank was filled by the dealer, most likely regular. Next two fill up I used Ultra 94 and then switched back to regular again. Frankly I can't really notice a difference.

I thought the car might advance timing with high octane gas and yield better performance. But either it doesn't do that or the difference is not all that significant.

What's your opinion on this? What do you use for your VT?

#5 ·
I also didn't like the initial MPGs on this car. Now after 1200 miles, it is a lot better. I have been able to get 28 TO 32 in city, AS LONG AS I don't stop every two blocks because of lights, stops, or traffic. Also, on the highway it does 36 to 42 (the 42 is usually coasting to the exit). I found out that for the type of driving I do to commute to work and run my errands, the car does better MPGs with the ECO off. So, City = ECO off, Highway = ECO on.

Speaking about non-ethanol fuel. I looked up a gas station here in Miami that sells it. My jaw fell to the floor when I saw the price. It was 4.65!!!! Wow. I don't know, but it looks like price gouging to me. What price do you get it in Tampa?

#17 ·
Apologies MV VT. It wasn't my intention. The issue came about from what 1.6 T-GDI posted: "First tank was with the dealer, last two have been 93. Later today I am going to try 90 octane ethanol-free fuel to see what that does, lol." I should have PMed Noeskape about Gasbuddy.

But fyi, I have tried 5 different gas, all regular grade 89 with ethanol. They all do the same MPGs. I have not gone up on octane since the manual states this car is made to run on regular. The full gas (non-ethanol added) is way to expensive to give it a try.

#16 ·
Personally I use premium simply because it's ethanol free here from Shell. I would like to see a before and after dyno with reg vs prem. The Genesis Coupes all make a few more ponies on premium. Hyundai doesn't advertise this information for the VT, but it's still possible.

#18 ·
The ethanol free gas here is 4.29 cash/4.39 credit. I filled it up and holy crap I just drove a couple miles with it but the difference was clear according to my butt dyno.

Acceleration felt quicker and the engine sounded slightly meaner. I reset my mpg average so we'll see how that goes. I was about 25.8 before the fill up.

#23 ·
I'm only on my second tank. Dealer filled first one so hard to say but I've found when using the ECO setting, the car seems to be able pull more in the low RPMs thus not having to shift down a gear.

#26 ·
Did you know you can live eating nothing but McDonald's? But your bodies performance will not be at its peak.

The quality of fuel input is related to output. When I traded my GMC Jimmy in for my VT, there were a lot of stations I had to avoid around here as they would cause a CEL anytime the engine was put under load. Now with my VT, I will not put fuel from those same stations in. Also when touring through the mountains, I found a huge difference in performance when running different fuel grades.

I realize that the car was designed to use regular as it would turn off potential buyers if the car required premium all the time. It does not mean that the car will not benefit from the use of a better fuel.

#27 ·
My 2 cents... Regular 87 octane (100% fuel) instead of 87 octane with ethanol should translate to better mileage. I have a 2011 Elantra Limited and will only put 100% pure gasoline in it. I can tell the difference the few times I had to use gas with ethanol. Ethanol costs you MPGs...

#33 ·
Sure the mustang was designed to work this way......... DO NOT WASTE THE MONEY........ again the word here is WASTE..... Too funny , those who think it does watch too many commercials. total BS....... IF NOT designed DOES nothing..... Well you might as well go to Sunoco then and get the 95 octane then..... enjoy..!

#35 ·
I put in some premium on the 3rd tank (I think) and I didn't really notice anything so I went back to regular.

The car is designed for regular so it will operate perfectly fine with regular..

Some people get premium because they think it has more 'cleaning' power but most stations use the same cleaning ingredients in all their gasolines, the only difference is the octane rating.

Even with two dynos back to back, with a motor this size and a relatively low power out put to begin with the difference in both octanes will be hard to see. Not to mention you would have to somehow purge the system of the regular and then fill it up some with higher octane fuel.

Now there would be some good gains with premium on a TUNED vehicle as they would tune around the fact it was higher octane gas which means they could be a little less conservative on the tune.

#36 ·
Go ahead waste your money, this is too funny , this topic has been discussed imensely over the years on numerous forums. if your manual says use whatever octane thats what it is designed for........................ REALLY really......... research it google it, whatever..... I have owned like 25 cars, mild to heavily modified MR2 turbos, moderately modded WRX, mildly modded Audi A4, all with MUCH more HP than the Veloster. (which i love btw) This topic discussed on numerous forums............. If your car is designed....... OR tuned for greater octane use it, if not DON'T waste money........... If you think it feels faster, runs smoother its likely because you THINK it feels faster,runs smoother... ................ LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.