Veloster Turbo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Everything has been repinned. I have the radio and the adapter harness in my car right now. I have to wait until work it over before I can install it though. I was able to get the contents of an SD card from someone on facebook and have the data loaded onto an SD card. She also got me the downloader for the AA/Carplay update but I need to use a Windows computer that I have admin access on. Maybe I can run a virtual Windows desktop on my Mac.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Everything powers up and music works. Bluelink may have been lost and it seems as though the mic isn't working at the moment. I need to do a little more testing with the mic. The navigation is also non functional. The SD card contents do not seem to work with my radio. Whenever I install the SD card I get a popular saying "Failed to authenticate navigation". My next steps are to look into the mic issue and install android auto/apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Very nice. I wouldn't worry about the navigation if you get android auto installed. The mic is important though for that hands free. Any pictures of the wiring harnesses now?

Bluelink was lost in the headunit due to the additional telematics unit that you are missing. But you should still have your rearview mirror bluelink that should work. The only way to get that linked to your current bluelink account would be to visit a dealer and they would call my office to have the MEID of this radio updated to your Bluelink account.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You sir, are a scholar and a saint. I applaud you.
But I've been wanting to do this swap for a while, I just haven't mustered up the courage to dig into it.
I'll be one of the first to buy any conversion kits you might want to sell! haha Great progress so far bud
I'm 2nd!
In all seriousness Mehringe, great job!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It turns out that the microphone does work, as long as I shout at it... I need to look into the complete wiring of the mic but I am leaning towards it being added resistance from extra wiring.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I am definitely enjoying it! I never got the stock navigation working (SD card authentication) but that doesn't really matter since I got the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto update installed :D I have a base level 2013 Veloster Turbo so the car did not come with a backup camera. A while ago I decided to get an OEM tailgate camera and make that work. It worked reasonably well with the original '13 radio. Once I upgraded to the '16 it has not been working. I have started digging into the wiring I ran for it originally but have not come up with anything yet. I need to pull apart the dash and remove the radio to double check my connections between the radio and the camera harness, and then go back to the hatch and try rewiring everything back there.

I have also looked into replacing my manual climate controls with the automatic ones to have the readout on the radio but the connectors seem completely different and I'm not ready to tackle another rewiring project quite yet. I do miss having the ambient temperature readout on the radio though...

I realize this is just a boring screenshot but what post is complete without pictures :)

IMG_5134.PNG

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The backup camera now works. It turns out that when I was adding that piece of the puzzle in originally I didn't document anything very well and therefore when I changed the harness none of the wiring matched what I thought it should. Now that everything is sorted out, the camera works and the image quality seems better than it did on the '13 radio.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
When will adapters be ready to buy? This is like the top of my "things I still want in my car" list.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The real question is, how much are people willing to pay for them? It takes a good amount of time to de/re pin everything and I haven't found a good source for just the housings and terminals.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
i'd be willing to pay up to 100 for the adapter, as long as i can just plug it in and not have to mess with it. any extra and i'm apt to figure it out myself when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I'd say find something similar online and make prices comparable. No one here wants to cheap you so as long as it's reasonable I think you'll have a market. Very few people do any electronics related things so you have a market to move into.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I kept going back and forth about whether or not I should do this but I have decided that if you are interested in an adapter send me a PM. I have a few of the connectors and pins on order already but for some of the other components it would be beneficial to buy it larger quantities to reduce shipping charges.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
What is the new radio unit part number? I didn't see it in the thread. Maybe missed it though.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 88 Posts