Veloster Turbo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a set of 17x8 et45 wheels, now am having a hard time deciding what size tires to get. Was thinking of going with a 225 45r17 tire, but was curios about the 235 40 r17 tire, and how they compare when daily driving on the streets. Any input would be helpful. Cheers!

·
Registered
345 Posts
From my understanding, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, the wider a tire is the less you will notice smaller imperfections in the road due to the width of the tire being able to cover more road left to right. The taller the sidewall will allow for more cushion when you do hit imperfections in the road due to the ability of the tire to be able to flex more.

With those two points made, the 235 tire would be able to avoid more of the imperfections but the 225 would have more sidewall to absorb any imperfections you do hit.

I am also looking for 17's and will be following this thread to see what others have to say.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Veloster Turbo Manual
4,032 Posts
love my 225/45r17 tires. lots of nice sidewall for absorbing bumps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
235/40/17 is good, I have them on my Enkei RPF1 17" setup (currently for sale, BTW). With a +45 offset you could even go with a 245/40/17 (better).
I would think a 245 tire would be overkill for a car like ours, lol, what characteristics make it "better"? Handling, comfort, feel, looks, etc.?

I do l like the "meaty" tire look, but am concerned more about ride quality in everyday situations more. Oh and I do track days and will be using these wheels and tires, so that is why i was curios about the 235 (and now 245) tires.

·
Super Moderator
4,032 Posts
nice track day tires, but good luck with them for daily driving. 100TW

from experience:
excessive noise.
you'll get about 10K out of them.. tops if you have a good alignment.
no driving in moderate to heavy rain, or you're dead.

Reactions: -X-

·
Super Moderator
4,032 Posts
You need a matched set with tires like that dude.

Reactions: swordfish

·
Registered
741 Posts
Why not go with a 235/45/17?

·
Super Moderator
4,032 Posts
ive been running 235/45r17 on +50 i'm not a fan, going back to 225/45r17 . its a minimal difference but my mufflaps are wrecked, lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts